Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Oct-11-05, 20:41

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 220/209/189 Male 167 cm
BF:
Progress: 35%
Default Abs Diet ?

someone mentioned this in a previous post....
as a matter of fact...all my extra weight is in my belly...
what do U think guys ?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Oct-11-05, 21:24
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 279/260/200 Female 5foot 6inches
BF:
Progress: 24%

I'm the one who mentioned it in the other post. If you've been doing atkins, you'll have problems with the abs diet. You have to eat lean meats,no fat in anything, skim milk, basically anything that doesn't have flavor. I had truly thought about it, but why give up taste when I know atkins works. The abs really pushes weight training also. I think that's why they can claim it works to lose belly weight better than other diets. Try adding some crunches or something, and keeping doing atkins. I bet you'll have just as good results as doing the abs thing. That's what I'm gonna do. The first time I was doing Atkins I lost 50 pounds and a lot of that was from my belly. That's one thing I notice about this way of life is, I lost weight in those harder to lose places.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Oct-12-05, 04:09

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 220/209/189 Male 167 cm
BF:
Progress: 35%

hello satin_moon...
what I really need now is to lose my belly....I need to lose like 10lb...but I need them in my belly.!!!!
and in Atkins...heard that exercise is not the key...so...was thinking..about the abs...Diet.
maybe give it a try for 1 week or 2 ?
what do U think ?
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Oct-12-05, 04:25

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
and in Atkins...heard that exercise is not the key

It's possible that you heard incorrectly. There is an entire chapter in Dr. Atkins' book title, "Exercise, it's not optional".
What Dr. Atkins does recommend is that you go easy on the exercise until your body has had enough time to completely switch from a carb burning metabolism to a fat burning one which will take a few weeks. After that, you should be exercising regularly.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Oct-12-05, 04:33

Plan: OWL(modified)
Stats: 216.7/197.8/143 Male 173 Centimeters
BF:unknown
Progress: 26%

Pierre,

exercise is very important in every diet,
moderate aerobic exercise for a duration of 30-45 minutes would make you lose fat much faster in any diet you're on.
weight lifting will build muscle tissue and more muscle tissue will increase your basal metabolic rate-the amount of calories which you burn at rest.

those types of exercise have many other benefits aswell ,such as increased bone density,strength,cardiovascular endurance..
but i assume you are mainly interested in losing body fat- well, they sinergize any diet program.

as to losing your belly-
crunches are an unaerobic activity- they will strengthen and increase the size of your ab muscle, they will not burn fat.
there is no way to lose fat from a single location- you need to consume less calories than you burn daily and you need to exercise, your body will decide where to burn most of the fat from..
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Oct-12-05, 11:34

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Ab fat means cortisol problems, doesn't it?

This isn't something I live with so I'm going on faint memory. You may want to do your own research.

I thought I had read that people who carry most of their weight in the belly have some hormonal imbalance that also predisposes them to more cardiac trouble? And that one of the contributors was insulin, and if A & B are true, then Atkins is one of the more efficient remedies because it will get the insulin straightened out, and after that, many of the other hormones fall into place.

However, 10# may be more of a cosmetic issue than a metabolic problem, per se, and I'd suspect a lot of crunches coupled with cardio will do more good than a week-long change, which can't affect much in terms of lasting changes in body mass.