Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jun-20-05, 14:38
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 253/220/200 Female 5 10
BF:36%/30%/28%
Progress: 62%
Wink South Beach AND Atkins?????

Ok....I have a question. Being on Atkins..I tend to get a little bored. I really love bean burritos. Well I know that the low carb tortillas, cheese and sour cream are fine...but the beans (regular refried) are 12 carbs per 1/2 cup! Now I have tried the alternative (black beans) but they just dont do it! The funny thing is...I can eat 2 bean burritos for dinner, 2 nights a week and still loose without a problem! I literally go over about 60 carbs on the days that I do this. I read in the South Beach Diet Book that refried beans are "good carbs." Is it possible to mix the two diets together and still loose weight? I found some completely yummy SBD cookies that do not make me gain either...they are healthy and low carb also. Just wondered what everyone thought?!?! I keep with the Atkins way on the fat though!! Low fat is for the birds lol! Thanks in advance!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jun-20-05, 15:39

Stats: 254/215/150 Female 64"
BF:C198/T126/H53/L120
Progress: 38%

Nikara, I would say that if you are making adequate (satisfactory) progress eating food you love, then by all means, do it! The whole deal with LC is keeping your blood sugar and insulin level at a minimum. Atkins recommends at least 2 weeks of induction (20 g/day) but after that tells you to increase your carb intake (preferably with fruits and veggies) until you stop losing-this point is the max carb count you personally can with within and still lose. This is also to give you an idea of how you should eat the rest of your life and stay healthy.

To me this means, If youre eating 60 g carb/day and still losing, youre doing just right.

Beans ARE good carbs because of all the fiber. As an alternative, try refried black beans. I prefer black beans, they have more flavor! Maybe mix them together, to lessen the net carb count.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jun-20-05, 17:35

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 20/08/00 Female 5'10"
BF:not/low/enough
Progress: 60%

I don't think it's a question of if it's possible... it looks like you are already doing it!! If you still loosing, eat and enjoy it!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jun-20-05, 22:44

Stats: 204/156/124 Female 5'1"
BF:BMI 38.5/30/23.4
Progress: 60%

Personally, I see South Beach as a more liberal LC plan, very similar to Atkins maintenance or pre-maintenance. With the low fat mantra they espouse, it is not for me. I would rather have more fat and fewer carbs. Everyone is different, though.

I'd say your refried beans are not really a transgression. Count them in your carb totals and if they don't stall you, enjoy them!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jun-21-05, 08:44
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

You know, some people actually lose weight a little better raising their carbs a bit. You are supposed to go into OWL anyway and raise your carbs gradually. Some people find cycling their carbs works. So, I think, if you try really hard, you can figure out some way to add beans back to your diet.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jun-21-05, 09:15
library diva

Plan: atkins
Stats: 242/156.5/130 Female 5'4"
BF:way/too/high
Progress: 76%

If you are losing and feeling good about the way you're eating I don't see why you can't combine the plans to create your own hybrid. Not everyone has their best success following just one plan. Some people do wonderfully with creating their own LC plan and doing that.

If you are a lucky one who can still lose on higher levels and things like the beans then go for it!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jun-21-05, 10:05

Plan: Self Made Plan
Stats: 194.2/191.6/150 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 6%

I love refried beans too, and bean burritos! I have found that I can eat refried beans and cheese and it doesn't affect my weight loss. I don't do it every day but for something different...Fiber is good for you anyway!
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jun-21-05, 15:47
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

There's nothing wrong with experiementing with higher carb foods. We tend to get in trouble, though, if we plan-combine simply because something on the other plan sounds appealing. If we could take the tastiest parts of all LC plans, we'd be pretty close to the old WOE that made us gain weight to begin with! Venturing into making your own plan requires a lot of honesty with yourself.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jun-22-05, 07:27

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Have you tried black soy beans> They are pretty good, higher in fiber, protein and way lower in carbs than the other beans.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jun-22-05, 09:07
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 165/146/135 Female 5' 2"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Black 57-

Where does one find black soy beans? How do you eat them?

Thanks
MLD
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jun-22-05, 10:33

Plan: moderate carb, WW
Stats: 274/245.2/200 Male 5 feet 9 inches
BF:36%
Progress: 39%

I have found black soy beans at my HFS.
I put them on chilli like regulat beans.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jun-22-05, 14:12
Registered Member

Stats: 253/220/200 Female 5 10
BF:36%/30%/28%
Progress: 62%

Thank you all!! I will consider trying the black soy beans You guys are great!!
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Jun-24-05, 09:30

Plan: Atkins, keto
Stats: 230/230/150 Female 67.5"
BF:
Progress: 0%

My favorite breakfast in the whole world is refried beans, cheese, and salsa wrapped in a tortilla. Ummmmmm. And, like you, I don't really care for black beans.