Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Oct-19-01, 09:17

Plan: my own
Stats: 164/125/125 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 100%
Question anyone with OCD out there?

Does anyone here have OCD? I do, and am taking (by Irelands standards anyway) quite a large amount of meds for it. Wondering how other people with OCD do on this wol. Doods
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Oct-19-01, 09:56

Plan: IN LIMBO!!!!!
Stats: 145/137/126
BF:28.3%/22%/18%
Progress: 42%
Default ocd

hi doodle.

my mother, sister and i are all in the catagory. i was in therapy and meds for a long time. i was taking 450 mg of wellbutrin. went to therapy 2 to 3 times a week for 4 years, and finally made ocd way of life ego alien. it was a long and continues to be an ongoing process, but there is hope.

what meds are you taking?
B
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Oct-19-01, 10:04

Plan: Atkins- post pregnancy
Stats: 174/127/125 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%

Hello,
Yes I was diagnosed with OCD about 8 yrs ago. Not a serious case where it keeps me up all night (at least not anymore) I was medicated for it but stopped about 5 yrs ago when I learned I was pregnant with my son. At the time they couldn't guarantee my baby would not be affected. Brain chemistry changes as we get older but I still go in spurts. I did find it helped alot with this WOE. You know the do or die trying mentality that sometimes takes your mind over.
Well, just wanted to let you know you're not alone and you can use OCD to your advantage, it just takes time. But if you refocus your obsession, it is possible.
Heather
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Oct-19-01, 10:34
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%
Cool OCD and ADHD, that's me!

Hi, I also have OCD and I'm taking Prozak for mine. I have a low dose so it doesn't affect my weight loss, supposedly.
I think the hardest part is you can develope bad habits earlier on as in my case, with LCing... I was weighing myself all the time, testing Ketosis and fretting (just look at all my threads if you don't believe me).
Is there anything on your mind?
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Oct-19-01, 14:03

BF:

Great to hear from you all, I decided to jump right on in and just ask was there anyone else. I was sure there were, and am glad and relieved to be in touch about this. I have had OCD since I was a child, and it got progressivley worse with each pregnancy. but recently, in the last year, I have made a lot of progress and don't get those awful limb tingling panic attacks I'm sure you all know well. i am on prozac, and quite a bit, but not as much as some. 40 mg a day.... I know all of these king of medications are measured in different ways, some in hundreds, some in tens, and I know that the european measures can also differ. Anyway, it is 2 pills a day. I am not worried about the effect it has on my weight loss, as if there is an effect I will work around or through it. I am not ready to come off my meds at this time as I am only now enjoying a quality of life I have never known before. And more importantly, my kids and husband are. But I have found that since I started low carbing, a few of the old obsessions are finding there way into a ritualistic rourtne. I HAVE to use a ketostick every time I pee, we are talking a dozen times or more a day with all the water I am drinking... that's pretty expensive, but not the worst vice I guess. Also, I can see myself staying in induction for ever, as I would be so scared to eat any hidden carbs... this is also very deeply rooted in the anorexia I had in my teens. Oh dear, i read like such a neurotic mess, but believe it or not I am a very happy woman!. I I just want to nip this in the bud so to speak, I really want to enjoy this wol. I have never felt physically better, I just could do without the Lady MacBeth side. Thanks, sorry for ranting! Doods
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Oct-23-01, 10:41
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%
Smile I understand!

I don't think people understand how hard it is for people like us to break a vice. But it can be done. I've been able to weigh myself once this past week and I haven't used a ketostix in the same time. So I rewarded myself. My next task is not to go to this site during work hours. I just got to see who's on! You know what I mean?
Its hard to feel sain sometimes.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Oct-23-01, 12:05

BF:
Default thanks Lessara.

It really is hard to help people understand! I only used two ketostix today but I must admit I have logged on to the forum many many times. Thanks so much for the support, I am feeling far more optimistic and far less alone. Doods