Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-27-05, 16:50

Plan: atkins/warrior
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 87%
Default kids on atkins?

i hope this doesn't come off wrong, but I was wondering if anyone knows the effect of the atkins diet on children. Not to lose weight, but as a WOL. I mean if it is healthier for adults, would it be bad for kids? Obviously this wouldn't mean induction, but what about the principles of lower carb,and sugar intake. I would be very interested in any one's opinions of this, because I think my daughter may benefit from it.Has there been any studies done on this?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-27-05, 16:54

Plan: My own, post Atkins
Stats: 180/131/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 123%

I think it would be great if parents cut out refined flour and sugar products from their children's lives. I don't think it would be a good idea to go super low carb, though. kids have more energy, and need more food to continue growing healthily. Cutting out the snacks and cr*p and fast food that children eat, becuase their parents allow it, would be a big help in this countries obesity problem.

As for studies, i'm sure there are probably tons of studies on childhood obesity. It only takes common sense to realize that cutting out refined sugar and flour and trans fat filled snacks would help. Less kids would go through the pain of being overweight if they were fed a whole food diet (definitely including healthy higher carb items, such as whole grains) that didn't include sugary snacks and fatty fast food meals.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-27-05, 17:02

BF:

thats what I thought. It hasn't been confirmed by the DR.,but i think my four year old may have a issue with sugar. I have never been one to shove candy and junk at her, but she does have a snack once or twice a day. i was wondering if it affects growth when you cut carbs back alot. Because I am about ready to nix the sugar totally. It makes her totally crazy, even in small doses.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-27-05, 17:03

BF:

P.S. Is it possible that children have problems metabolizing the sugar, just as some adults do?
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-27-05, 18:40
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

Very MUCH so!

I think you're doing her a great favor by eliminating as much refined sugar and junk as possible. Kids do better behaviorally, socially, and in a lot of other ways besides just being all-around healthier without it.

I'm not a hardcore about it, but I do find everyone's happier without the extra sugar. My son grumbles(he's 13, it's his job!), but he still gets his treats, albeit mostly of the lower-sugar variety. He can't tell the difference between regular ice cream and no-sugar-added frozen yogurt, for example. To him, it's all good.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jan-27-05, 19:24

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 212/174/155 Female 5'11"
BF:size 18/12-14/8
Progress: 67%

Quote:
Originally Posted by becky25
i was wondering if it affects growth when you cut carbs back alot.

Kids do not need ANY refined sugars. They can get plenty of carbs from grains and fruits without having the added sugars.

Quote:
Is it possible that children have problems metabolizing the sugar

Absolutely and if they don't have the problems, I do believe that it will cause the problem.

....now if I can get my husband on the same page with me and quit bringing all the candy into the house.....
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jan-27-05, 19:31

BF:

thank you for your input. it means alot that we basically agree. I had to deal with alot of flack from my in-laws when we mentioned that we were cutting back on the processed junk. they told me that it was "not right" to force my eating opinions on my children. and that if I didn't take care of my own body image issues the kids would develop the same problems. I don't think its wrong to be concerned about what you eat. theres a difference between maintaining a healthy view of food, and stressing over what you look like and every calorie. personally i think if i had grown up in a home where the sweets were less available, maybe I wouldn't have such cravings now. and if I can spare my kids that, aren't I doing them a favor?
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jan-27-05, 19:48

A suggested read is Sugar Busters for Kids. I read the regular Sugar Busters and it was wonderful for cutting out the processed stuff.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jan-27-05, 19:51

As far as your in-laws are concerned...you are the parent and by making healthy food decisions for your children IS your job.

Now when they get older, teenage years, and decide they want to choose a different way of eat, you can be accepting of their decisions...then they'll be of an age that they have understanding of what is going into their bodies.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jan-27-05, 19:56
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

I really feel that as long as a parent doesn't go OVERBOARD and make sweets more important because they're forbidden, like my neices and nephews who would eat any and ALL sugar they could cram in away from home, because the Mom wouldn't let a drop past the door...

When the younger niece was about 3 years old, they went out to Grandma's house to visit. "Do you have any cookies, Gramma?" she asked...."How about Lucky Charms?".... as Grandma laid out the treats for her to choose ONE of (a Grandma who knew to respect the Mom enough to have worked a compromise out ahead of time with the Mom...a rare find!) She gathered the box of cereal, and BOTH kinds of cookies into her arms and announced "I'm ready to go HOME now Mommy!"

#11   ^
Old Fri, Jan-28-05, 20:41

Plan: yes
Stats: 14/14/14 Female 20
BF:
Progress: 101%

My kids are on a whole foods diet. It's not Atkins -- I just no longer buy anything that's processed for me. It's much more difficult and time-consuming, but I know my kids are eating all organic foods and aren't consuming ridiculous amounts of antibiotics, preservatives and growth hormones found in all processed meats, poultry and even a number of non-animal items! I make smoothies from scratch -- whole milk or organic yogurt and two fresh fruits in each (like banana/peach and straw/blueberry). I make my own granola and granola bars in bulk and then it's like having convenience foods around. Also I make everything from whole ingredients -- no rice from a box, etc... I'm not suggesting this is for anyone but my family. My youngest daughter has a digestive disorder and a gluten intolerance, so I was forced to get creative and work my butt off, so the whole family gets to benefit from the change. I don't know if this helps you in any way, but I just thought I'd give my input.
d.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jan-28-05, 21:17

Stats: 230/201/140 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 32%

I know two kids on Atkins for medical reasons. One because he is extremly ADHD. It has helped so much. He was a holey terror last year when he was in my class. We discovered he can't tolerate any sugar or corn sweetner. It was when they took him off refined flour that he really improved. His second grade teachers says he is just a normal little boy now - active but stable. Last year he just stood and vibrated. He had no control of his outbursts. I suppose this was some kind of an allergy, but a have another child this year that is on Atkins for a different medical problem.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Jan-28-05, 21:28

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
I had to deal with alot of flack from my in-laws when we mentioned that we were cutting back on the processed junk. they told me that it was "not right" to force my eating opinions on my children.

You know...if it were me, I'd be really tempted to reply, "okay...exactly whose eating opinions should be forced on them; mine or the commercial food industry's? Because if I don't teach them what healthy eating is, television, magazines and billboards will have no problem teaching them their version."
It really does depend on how you present it to the kids, but I do wonder exactly what your in-laws think you're depriving your kids of by cutting back on junk food?
If you want a strong, quality home you don't use cheap junky materials to build it. If you want a strong, healthy body, you don't use cheap junky materials [food] to build that, either.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Jan-29-05, 00:00

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Well, as a kid, I did not eat bread, donuts, ice cream or spaghetti. If you saw me eat these things it was from peer pressure. I was a low carber without even trying. I was skinny and healthy. I recall some experiences that was probably caused because of my diet ( I had unusually heavy cycles in my senior year in high school ). I was fine but I made a horrible mess everywhere. I also remember a metallic taste in my mouth. I didn't tell anyone because I was afraid that I had cystic fibrosis or something. Except for the heavy periods, low carbing was no big deal, mainly because I was doing it on purpose. I probably would have been forced fed intavenously if I had done that deliberately.
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Jan-29-05, 08:46

BF:

thank you all! you make me feel like I'm not such a terrible person for wanting to ban the sweets.I totally agree that it is my job to combat the brainwashing society is doing. I really think it would do my daughter some good. I think sugar is just one of the triggers that i have noticed. but i want to try it before my Dr tries to put her on ritalin or something. WE already dillute the apple juice and i've been giving her fruit and veggies instead of fruit snacks. How long do you think before we will notice a difference in her behavior?
Quote:
You know...if it were me, I'd be really tempted to reply, "okay...exactly whose eating opinions should be forced on them; mine or the commercial food industry's? Because if I don't teach them what healthy eating is, television, magazines and billboards will have no problem teaching them their version."
EXACTLY!