Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jan-17-03, 10:41

Plan: Atkins/Sugar Busters
Stats: 140/135/120
BF:
Progress: 25%
Question Atkins vs. Sugar Busters advice needed

I have been on the Atkins Induction plan for 2 weeks. I want to lose 20 lbs. The first week I lost 5 lbs., the second week lost nothing. I am in my fifties, post-menopause, and was wondering if any of you have switched from Atkins to Sugar Busters - as Sugar Busters would allow milk products and more fruits and veggies, which I feel are essential for good health and for old age and calcium needs. I also have been walking 20 minutes a day and doing some weights, but I am discouraged and missing fruits, milk, and veggies, and bread occasionally. Do you feel a switch would be a good idea as I don't feel I can continue Atkins as a WOL.?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-17-03, 11:01
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/238.4/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

Why don't you move on to Atkins Ongoing Weight Loss plan by adding in some more green veggie carbs? You can work your way up to including some berries and melons.

I read SugarBusters a while back, and recently read SugarBusters for Kids. The problem with these books is that while they are against added sugar (a good thing) they are not at all concerned about the foods that metabolically turn to sugar like grains and potatoes and juices and fruits. Also, they preach low fat high carb which just doesn't work for most of us people who find success low carbing. (and for very few other people unless they keep their calories rediculously low)

One can expect to lose up to 10% of their weight during induction, if you lose more in one week, your body will probably make up for it by losing less the next week.

What is milk for? Well, cow's milk is for baby cows. Goat milk is for baby goats. Why are we eating it anyways? It is a treat to use cream, but the lactose in milk is a sugar and your body treats it as such.

You can get a lot of vitamins and minerals from your green vegetables and meats. You can use supplements to fill in any gaps.

You are following the newest version of Atkins aren't you? You don't want the old one published in 1972.

The new versions 1992 and newer let you have 2-3 cups of salad vegetables per day and 1 cup of green vegetables. That's more than most people have been eating in their previous lives.

Beth