Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Nov-16-04, 18:44

Plan: low carb
Stats: 00/00/130 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Renee's (Zellweger) Hard Work To Shed Bridget (on Atkins)

This is
LONDON
16/11/04 - Showbiz! section

Renee's hard work to shed Bridget
By Laura Benjamin, Daily Mail

The transformation from world's most celebrated chubby singleton into super- svelte Hollywood glamourpuss has become her trademark.

But, second time around, Renee Zellweger's rapid post-Bridget Jones weight loss was anything but easy.

After filming on Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason ended in April, the 35-year-old booked herself into a £ 2 , 500 - a-week weight-loss spa - where daily 12-mile hikes are mandatory - and embarked on a high-protein diet to shed nearly three stone.

The 5ft 5in actress went from her usual 7st 7lb to more than 10st when she first agreed to play Bridget in 2001, fuelled by doughnuts, chocolate and cheese-laden pizzas.

Although she succeeded in piling on the pounds - rapidly losing them on the Atkins Diet - the huge amounts of sugar she was consuming, together with a sedentary lifestyle, left her sluggish.

So when, a year ago, the time came to put on weight for the sequel, Miss Zellweger employed a nutritionist who put her on a 4,700-calorie per day diet.

This time she ate healthier foods to gain bulk, including lasagne, fish and chips, stir-fried chicken, avocados and weightgain shakes, made up of flaxseed oil and protein powder.

'I ate healthy foods with a high, hidden fat content - it's the easiest way to do it,' she said.

On her return home to Los Angeles, Miss Zellweger began visiting a gym for daily, two-hour workouts. Her meals were mainly tuna or cold meat coupled with dressing- free salads and raw vegetables.

In June, she checked into the £2,500-a-week Ashram Spa in Calabasas, California. Visitors share rooms with a stranger and do a 12-mile hike every day.

Owner Catharina Hedberg told Heat magazine: 'Renee is a lovely, sweet girl who was willing to work hard when she came here.'

Miss Zellweger has spoken of her concern that her yo-yo dieting could affect her fertility.

'I know there's been some research into losing weight quickly and the effects that has,' she told Closer magazine. 'Of course, it's concerning. I'd love to be a mum one day. I'm looking forward to being pregnant and putting on weight naturally.'

l.benjamin~dailymail.co.uk

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/showb...ce=Daily%20Mail
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Nov-17-04, 10:32

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 338/253/210 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 66%

Quote:
This time she ate healthier foods to gain bulk, including lasagne, fish and chips, stir-fried chicken, avocados and weightgain shakes, made up of flaxseed oil and protein powder.

'I ate healthy foods with a high, hidden fat content - it's the easiest way to do it,' she said.

Heh. Only in contrast with donuts and chocolate could lasagna and fried fish be cased as "healthy" foods...
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Nov-17-04, 10:56

Stats: 191.5/160/135 Female 5'3
BF:39.8%/?/27%
Progress: 56%

I read about that spa in Dan Savage's "Skipping towards Gomorrah". It's crazy expensive bootcamp, with none of the luxuries you'd expect for that amount of money.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Nov-17-04, 11:14

Plan: common sense low carb
Stats: 221/190/175 Male 6 feet
BF:27/13/10??
Progress: 67%

that spa serves vegetarian food....

http://www.theashram.com/pages/food.html
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Nov-17-04, 11:27
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

Well, then book me a reservation!

Personally, in the recent pics, I think she looks like crap.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Nov-18-04, 20:04
Glutton for Grease!

Plan: Primal-VLC
Stats: 295/190/190 Male 76
BF:don't/really/care
Progress: 100%

The funny thing is, I think she is much prettier as Bridget Jones than as skin and bones.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Nov-19-04, 01:05
Registered Member

Stats: 509/472/250 Male 6 feet 0 inches
BF:
Progress: 14%

I agree totally! I think the "Bridget Jones" look is much more beautiful. She looked healthier.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Nov-19-04, 05:38

Stats: 282/262/205 Male 6' 1
BF:waaay tooo much
Progress: 26%
Default Ditto

I couldn't agree more....she looks horrible as a skeleton...

bob
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Nov-19-04, 07:01
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:

For the those of us on this side of the pond, 7st 7lb is 105 lbs. That's clearly underweight for someone who looked good a little heavier. These damned celebrities...
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Nov-19-04, 07:10
Registered Member

Plan: KetoCarnivore
Stats: 206.6/178/160 Female 5'7
BF:awesome
Progress: 61%

Ha! I don't follow celebrities and their trysts... but seeing the commercials for her upcoming film, I kept thinking.... "Man, she is heavy!! Look at her double chin?" And I just finished watching Chicago for the 3rd time this week and when she does her little tap dance routine in that shiney little dance outfit, she looks like she's 98 lbs... I couldn't understand the fluctuation of her weight... And then I see this thread.

So she beefed up for a movie, they didn't want her as herself..
and now she's back down to where she likes to be..... Unbelievable!!!!

And I kept looking at her arms in Chicago, and she's so fit, lean, and firm... wow.... and her legs... lean, tight..
and then the trailers for her upcoming film..... what a difference..
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Nov-19-04, 07:55
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotGal
Ha! I don't follow celebrities and their trysts... but seeing the commercials for her upcoming film, I kept thinking.... "Man, she is heavy!! Look at her double chin?" And I just finished watching Chicago for the 3rd time this week and when she does her little tap dance routine in that shiney little dance outfit, she looks like she's 98 lbs... I couldn't understand the fluctuation of her weight... And then I see this thread.

So she beefed up for a movie, they didn't want her as herself..
and now she's back down to where she likes to be..... Unbelievable!!!!

And I kept looking at her arms in Chicago, and she's so fit, lean, and firm... wow.... and her legs... lean, tight..
and then the trailers for her upcoming film..... what a difference..

Ugh I thought she looked horrible in chicago. She looks like a dancing skeleton. It was shocking. The whole time I watched that movie all I was thinking was "are there really people who think that is an attractive look"? Catherine Zeta Jones looked so much better than her... she actually looked like a woman.

I agree that shes a bit too heavy for her frame as Bridget Jones, but even the Bridget Jones look is much preferable to the pubescent body she normally has.

IMO I think a weight right around 115 or 120 would probably be better. 135 is too heavy for her, she's very small... but under 100 lbs makes her look even worse than the extra 15 or so.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Nov-19-04, 08:07
at peace with myself

Plan: Healthy choices
Stats: 201/191.6/144 Female 5 ft 8n
BF:
Progress: 16%

I agree. I think that she looked great when she first started out in Hollywood with Tom Cruise in (I'm blanking what is the name of that movie?)...you know the "you complete me" movie about Sports agents...

She is too skinny on the cover of People (with black hair)...but too heavy obviously in Bridgette....

edit to add: the movie was Jerry McGuire ...brain finally turned on