Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Sep-17-04, 19:04

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 258/223/??? Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress:
Default Low-Carb Kids?

This is an article from a magazine for physician's assistants. Although it's nice that they admit that the brain can use ketones, it still seems muddled on that point.

I agree that for kids the emphasis should be on minimizing added sugars and refined grains. But misconceptions persist, as in this statement:

"teaching low-carb diets to kids implies that eating all the fat and all the protein they want is preferred over foods like whole grains, fruits and vegetables,"

Well, in fact, NO IT DOESN'T!

http://www.advanceforpa.com/common/...l.aspx?CC=40853
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Sep-21-04, 13:53

Plan: homeopathic HCG, loading
Stats: 246/230.5/154 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 17%

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoise
I agree that for kids the emphasis should be on minimizing added sugars and refined grains. But misconceptions persist, as in this statement:

"teaching low-carb diets to kids implies that eating all the fat and all the protein they want is preferred over foods like whole grains, fruits and vegetables,"

Well, in fact, NO IT DOESN'T!

Of course it doesn't I don't make a lot of pasta or grain-based main dishes for my daughter, and but she can have fruit any time of the day (though at meal times I prefer she eats it after the meal itself) and I encourage her to eat BOTH her meat/fish/eggs AND her salad/veggies. It always the same, people think that low carb means lots of meat and fat and no veggies! Though I have to say, they have to get tha impression from somethere. I have seen a few posts about people who eat their meat but not their veggies... wha's up with that???
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Sep-21-04, 14:08

Plan: Atkins-like
Stats: 215/170/170 Male 70
BF:
Progress: 100%

Didn't Dr. Atkins bring a little of this on himself with his TV appearances? Seems like I recall seeing him and what stuck in my mind was that he was big on bacon and eggs. Thats the fun part of the diet, but not the only part.

May he rest in peace of course, and no disrespect intended. The man did a tremendous amount of good.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Sep-21-04, 15:08
Registered Member

Plan: LC
Stats: 232/182/130 Female 5'6 inches
BF:
Progress: 49%

My son is 12 years old. It seems it has been a constant struggel with his weight. I have tried to help him with many diets, low fat, exercise ect...but he always ended up quitting. For the past 3 months he has been on the Atkins diet with me. He is perfectly happy with it. He has lost 40 pounds. I allow him all the fruit and veggies he wants...just no sugars or processed grains. His brain function seems just fine..he has maintained his grades in school, but amazingly, he has more energy from week one, plays outside, doesnt sleep late..ect...So nobody can tell me that being 50 pounds overweight is better than allowing your child to do the Atkins diet. I have found, that most people who argue agaisnt low carb dieting, are people who are connected to another diet in some way, or overweight people who are looking for an excuse for not wanting to diet. So if you dont want to diet, ok...but dont knock those that do to make yourself feel better.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Sep-21-04, 16:02
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Excellent job you and your son are doing, Honeydust! Wow!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Sep-21-04, 17:46
Registered Member

Plan: genLC
Stats: // Female ni
BF:
Progress:
Thumbs up

Honeydust, you are to be commended! I hope that the sensible messages of healthy low-carbing can soon get be impressed upon the parents of our sednetary, tv/computer addicted kids who are bombarded with ads for junk food.

It's not about bacon and cheese--it's about a balance of wholesome, healthy foods.

kris