Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jul-04-04, 15:59
Brit Happens

Plan: x
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 0"
BF:
Progress: 16%
Default BMR Challenge

I know that counting calories is a little controversial but sad to say I'm definitely in the "need to keep an eye on them" group

Demi pointed me in the direction of this site and it was a revelation. According to the Basal Metabolic Rate calculator my intake should be between 1568-1768 calories a day. Ok, sorted Only somehow over the past month my average is 1900 odd and seems to be rising *sigh*

Hence this thread. My challenge to myself is to keep within my "window" aiming for the low end to give me the kickstart I know that I need. Biggest challenge will be wine at the weekends. And admitting that I need to restrict calories to lose weight in the first place

Any takers?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jul-04-04, 17:10
aka Celestine

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 247/185/160 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 71%

Okay Jec, I'll give it a whirl. Have been at a standstill for a while, and of course it's because it's time for me to cut back on calories. Don't know how many calories I currently consume, but it is surely more (a lot more) than what I should be having (1500-1700) in order to lose. Dammit.

Curious - what level of carbs are you shooting for?

Liz
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jul-05-04, 01:54
Brit Happens

BF:

Hey Liz

I tend to aim for around 20 and then watch with powerless horror as it shoots up when I've had a drink Average over the last month has been high 20s-low 30s. So yeah I guess I'm aiming for 20 to start with.

You??
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jul-05-04, 14:51
Brit Happens

BF:

Well I managed it today- 1299 cals and 11g carb. Wee bit low but better that than way too high as per the last few weeks.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jul-05-04, 15:12
aka Celestine

BF:

I will do the same, carb-wise, shoot for 20ish. I put ish to allow for a little alcohol leeway, but I will record it all.

LC beer is a stumbling block for me, as much for the calories as the carbs. Am probably going to cut it out completely. Will look into the numbers for wine. Like how many carbs/calories per bottle. (I almost put "per glass" but then I'd be kidding myself).

Do you do the water? I don't per say, but do drink diet-coke all day long. (Yes, am huge health fanatic).

I see you did great today, am sure I'll be coming in low as well, since it's 5:00 and haven't eaten yet. Have never personally experienced "starvation mode". The less I eat, the more I lose, period. Although it sure would be nice to have to keep my calories "up" to get results!

Am glad you started this, I needed a kick. I imagine more people will join in along the way.

Liz
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jul-05-04, 15:26
Brit Happens

BF:

Depends what wine but a bottle's usually around 750 cals and 18 carbs *sigh* Plus I then get the munchies so the cals come in around 2500+ Nightmare.

I do get my water in yes- I had a can of Diet Coke yesterday which was the first in months and I only drank it as it was in the fridge and ice cold. Drink at least 2.5 litres of H2O a day and pee like a racehorse I also am supplemented to the hilt but TBH for me it all boils down to counting calories. I've cut out artificial sweeteners, coffee, diet drinks, nitrates in meat and taken OoO, VCO- you name it. None of it makes a blind bit of difference. Have had bacon this last week and boy had I missed it

Am also exercising like a loon (for me) but still stuck. And I too have never experienced "starvation mode". Ever. I've experienced the after effects- immediate regain- but losing I've always had to cut the calories

Nice to have you join me
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jul-05-04, 16:59

Stats: 255/187/150 Female 5'0
BF:
Progress: 65%

Hi Jec and Liz--Liz is right, as I've started this calorie watching thing anyway I might as well join in. However, I am going to give you a stern lecture. If you've been advised that you ought to eat 1500ish in order to lose weight, no need to fast until 5 p.m. or even eat as low as 1200 (as Jec admits was a bit low). I'm sure we've all experienced the rebound weight gain when you go from very reduced calories to a normal seeming diet. I'm very nervous about establishing a pattern of lows so low I can't possibly soldier on that way. I've started off aiming for 1600 and have hit it all but one of the last 6 days. I think I've lost some weight, though my scale is unreliable in the short term (as they all are?).
Since I've been trying to keep calories down I've permitted more vegetables and salad (and some berries) so my carbs averaged 36, minus 11 fiber for 25 net.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jul-05-04, 17:33
aka Celestine

BF:

Yay! (Except for the stern lecture part. You sound exactly like a mother...oh wait...).

Actually, I rarely go all day without eating, it was kind of a fluke, and definitely not the type of thing I can keep up, even two days running.

I'll be drinking 750 calories tonight, so don't worry, I am being responsible!

Liz

I keed.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jul-06-04, 00:14
aka Celestine

BF:

Had 680 calories, 5 carbs today. Very low, but really and truly an abberation for me.

Drank about 40 oz. of water, way more than usual. This was in addition to my diet-coke.

Liz
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jul-06-04, 01:41
Brit Happens

BF:

Hey Quest

Thanks for joining us and point taken. I just don't ever seem to be able to hit that window- either under by a coupla hundred or way over *sigh* Anyhow trust me with me around this isn't likely to become the Very Low Cal thread- even if Liz has a few more aberrations

Have a great day, both
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jul-06-04, 06:54

BF:

Good morning. I am a few days ahead of you all on my calorie counting project. In fact I have completed one week. Fitday PC gives me all sorts of statistics which I won't unload on you. But based on what they say, I "ought" to have lost about 1.5 pounds last week and I think I approximately did, eating about 1600 calories a day and doing exercise classes on 4 out of the 7 days. I was lucky in that despite the holiday I didn't go to any events with tempting food, or eat at restaurants.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jul-06-04, 14:47
Brit Happens

BF:

Quote:
I didn't go to any events with tempting food, or eat at restaurants.

Good on you Diane- isn't life easier if we never go out? I have a business meal tomorrow night which has been changed form a Chinese restaurant to an English one now thank goodness.

Glad to see it's working for you anyhow.

I got in 1318 cals and 17g carb today. Ate until I was satisfied and also drank a load of water which probably helped. Plus did my weights and cardio. Anyhow not weighing for a while- maybe next Monday when I've given it a week to take shape.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jul-06-04, 15:16

BF:

1318 cals is lower than I've had yet since this thing started, except perhaps one day. Today I skipped breakfast and had, for the first time, a low carb wrap at Subway. It had 430 calories, so it takes up a good chunk of my allowance, but I enjoyed it and it was filling. I'd gone to the gym and shopping on essentially no food and decided at 12:30 I was wiser to eat something then rather than go home where--who knows--I might stand in front of the fridge and eat everything!
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Jul-06-04, 16:06
Brit Happens

BF:

Quote:
I might stand in front of the fridge and eat everything!

Been there sister
What do you make of the lowcarb wraps? Marks and Spencers do one with a kind of crepe wrapping but it didn't really do it for me
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Jul-06-04, 16:11

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jec
Been there sister
What do you make of the lowcarb wraps? Marks and Spencers do one with a kind of crepe wrapping but it didn't really do it for me

I liked it. I haven't had anything along those lines since starting this WOE (over a year ago) and in fact rarely ate wraps ever, so it was a novelty. This particular one had bacon in it, which helped . And very convenient, like having a sandwich, something I've not done in ages. At 11 net carbs, a bit high but doable.