Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jul-07-04, 21:36
Registered Member

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 271/251/140 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 15%
Angry New to Low Carb

I started Atkins about the 15th of June. I have been tired but I really feel like my clothes are getting looser. I expected to go to the doctor today and weigh myself and at least be able to say I lost 10 pounds. But, I got a real surprise when the scale said I only lost one pound. I do believe I have PCOS, and the doctor is going to do some tests to see. In March, my fasting blood sugar was 125. So in about 3 weeks I am going back to be retested for that. I want to stay on low carb and see if I start loosing but I think that will mess up the test. So a few days before I will probably have to eat high carb to see how the test comes out.

I feel real discouraged but I am not ready to give up yet just because I feel that I have lost inches. Any encouragement from anyone would help a lot right now. I also might try the fat fast to see if that helps. I'm not sure if I should just wait until after all the tests or just go for it now. I hate to waste any more time. The reason why I stayed on the Atkins for 3 weeks is because I really thought I was loosing. Help!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm glad I found this forum so maybe I can get a little bit of encouragement and help. Thanks everyone.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jul-08-04, 04:17
PuertoRican Princess

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 299/236/135 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 38%

Hang in there!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jul-08-04, 09:19

Plan: Atkins/carb cycling
Stats: 168/143.5/140 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 88%

Keep going! It's very, very common with low carb to lose inches while the scale stubbornly does not move. Just hang in there and the numbers *will* drop!
Julie
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jul-08-04, 09:41

Plan: Modified Paleo Atkins
Stats: 260/260/190 Male 71 inches
BF:Getting/Much/Bette
Progress: 0%

It took me about three weeks to see results, and I'm only moderately difficult. Some people lose in different ways and on different time schedules. The only real criticism I have of DANDR is that by trying to show great success stories, it also sets up some expectations. Not everyone loses like the examples in the book and the examples you read on the forum. Everyone's different.

But, the important thing is that you will be healthier, and thinner (eventually) on this way of eating, especially with the possible health problems you mentioned.

You did mention that you felt like you were losing inches. That's a very good sign. I know that my weight has stayed pretty much the same, +-3 pounds, for over a month now, but my clothes are getting looser and I've continuing to feel better.

Stick with the lc way of eating and it will help, it just may take longer for you than for others. That would probably be the case with any other diet as well. It seems to be the case that people who were slow to lose on other diets are usually no slower, often the same, and sometimes faster on lc. Also, if you've dieted before, espeicially if you've yo-yo'd in the past, you will lose more slowly, but that's probably a good thing.

It's not a race, it's a way of life. With blood sugar problems and possible PCOS, low-carb is definitely the best way to go. Head over to the PCOS and/or diabetes forums for more help and support.

Welcome, and I hope you stick with it and succeed.

Plane Crazy
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jul-08-04, 13:21
Registered Member

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 271/251/140 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 15%

Thanks for the encouragement. If I didn't feel like I am losing inches I think I really would have been upset. So I am going to stick to it for a while longer and try to keep better track of what I eat and see if I am really as low on the carbs as I should be.

Thanks for the help!!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jul-08-04, 14:53
I KNOW I CAN!!!

Plan: A combo of a few
Stats: 208/172/155 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 68%

Hello and welcome to the forum

I think you'll find this site very informative and the people are extremely supportive!!!!

Best of luck to you.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jul-08-04, 19:16
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 185/177/140 Female 5'2
BF:?
Progress: 18%

just try to remember ur weight will differ through out the day try to get on the scale the same time of day dont do it every day u will get frustrated I try ti get on the scale 1st thing in the morn naked every pound counts LOL
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jul-09-04, 04:26

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 247/246/130 Female 5 foot 2.5 inches
BF:47%/32.0%/22.5%
Progress: 1%
Default blood sugar level

I wouldn't go back to carbs just before the blood sugar test.... that is one thing that is usually positively effected by this woe.... you could very well see you blood sugars drop and that is a good thing