Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jun-15-04, 21:31

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 206/166/125 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 49%
Default carbing up? Is it a good Idea

I was just wondering if I were to carb up (add more carbs than I've been doing) all legal of course, will that get that scale moving again, I've been at less than 25g. been off induction 2 weeks and only lost 2lbs. Anyone know if maybe some low carb bread or something would help, is it worth it, or should I just kick up that exercise. ( I know that's what you are all going to tell me to do anyway) so I should just shut up and DO IT! LOL
I think that's what I'll do, but if my weighloss seems to stall for over a month, should I then add a meal of legal mega carbs. like 50-60g or so. any ideas.
Tammy
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jun-15-04, 22:21

Stats: 229/205/170 Female 5'6"
BF:I have Body Fat!??
Progress: 41%

While losing 'only' 2 pounds in two weeks seems unbearably slow at times, it's still not a bad loss.

I can understand wanting to make it more a little faster, though--that's pretty much where I am now.

One thing I know is that you'll never know what will work until you give it a try. You could sure try upping the carbs by five grams and see what happens (give it a couple of weeks). If that doesn't work, try increasing fat for a couple of weeks, and if that doesn't work, try lowering your calories.

And yes, exercise is always a good thing to add. I've found that even a brisk walk of a little over half a mile in the evening helps with my weight loss. I'm not big on exercising, and never will get into it heavy, but a little now and then I don't mind.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jun-15-04, 23:12

Plan: Cyclic Ketogenic
Stats: 245/167/180 Male 71.5
BF:30%/11.4%/9%
Progress: 120%

Try these first -
1. Up your fat intake
2. Return to induction longer (I never left induction levels of carbs, and still don't when I LC)
3. Then try the carbup. Consume LOW GI, low fat foods for a weekend. You may want to stay extra low fat, because unless you are lifting weights to a depleting extent, you'll pack on fat. You may still pack fat anyway, because unless your muscle glycogen is depleted, the carbs will not have anywhere to go, because for about 24 hours after you re-introduce the carbs, your body is still burning fat for its primary energy. This is why carb-ups work on the CKD, all the carbohydrates are being shuttled to your muscles to refill your muscle glycogen, and your body remains burning fat, and when it shifts out, your body burns the carbs, and these is no fat to pack.

I've explained too much. Bottom line, low gi, low fat, exercise hard the 4-5 days before, you'll be fine. Won't gain a pound but water (carbs make you retain it..)
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jun-16-04, 07:19

BF:

thank you for your advise, I'm wondering if my calories may be too low though, maybe my body is in starvation mode. Man I'm consuming anywhere between 1100-1500 calories, maybe I should up them to 1800. I'm not doing heavy exercise but I am more active than prior to lc. (More energy) well I'll try upping them, because I've noticed on fitday that the pounds usualy fall off after a day of higher calories.
Tammy
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jun-16-04, 07:36
Diet Cokeaholic

Plan: Whole foods moderation
Stats: 221/215/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

If I'm reading your signature correctly, you've been on Atkins for about a month. This is the time when a lot of us (most of us even) hit the dreaded post-Induction stall. Even if you stay on extended Induction, once you've lost a bunch of weight that quickly, your body takes a little time off to adjust to it. This is very normal — I personally lost 15 pounds in the first two weeks, then NOTHING for 6 weeks. Then, without changing my diet at all, things just started moving again. This could very well be what's happening to you.

That said, I stayed at around 20-25 carbs a day for nearly 10 months. I was experiencing a major slowdown to the tune of about 2-3 pounds a MONTH, if I was lucky. So I raised my carbs to 30 a day, and that really helped me get losing again.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jun-16-04, 07:50

Plan: ?????
Stats: 239.9/196/145 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 46%

Bear in mind my advice comes from someone who didn't do the 20 gram or less induction. I started at 30 after subtracting fiber(so 40-50 before fiber reduction). I originally went from 207 to 134 in about 8-9 months. I ate a high calorie/fat diet- moderate carb..
I personally think more healthy veggie carbs is always a good option. I can't possibly see how adding an extra few grams of say brocolli can be anything but good 4 you. I found as long as they were good healthy veggie carbs the actual grams had no bearing for me. 50-60 grams of veggie carbs is greatly reduced after subtracting the fiber.
Good luck!

Exercise is key!
P.s. the worst thing I ever did was buy a scale a 1.5 yrs into maintence.

Last edited by rodmick : Wed, Jun-16-04 at 07:58.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jun-16-04, 07:50

BF:

Thank you Hilary, I bet that's the case too. I just can't stay off the darn scale. Maybe I should have my dh take it with him to work and only bring it home once a week.( I think I'd be like a druggie without the drugs though) talk about some awful withdrawls. LOL I guess it really doesn't matter that I'm not losing too fast, I plan to do this for life anyway, so it will come off when it comes off.
I just need to keep that attitude huh? I'm still doing well though
33 days without cheating.
Tammy
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jun-16-04, 08:58
Registered Member

Plan: simple low carb :)
Stats: 165/157/150 Female 67"
BF:Have a boyfriend!
Progress: 53%

i think a lot of people, when they start low carbing, have this grand idea that they are going to lose 5 lbs a week, steadily til they get to goal. and it just won't work that way. i thought it would, because in the past i had been able to cut out all carbs and lose that fast. i was eating bacon and eggs, basically. and i was younger. someone in my class commented "i was reading in a magazine that people on low carb diets lose faster in the beginning but in the long term they don't lose any more than people in regular diets". i didn't comment, but i wanted to say "that's usually true, but in the long term people are more likely to stick with a low carb diet not only for the health benefits but also because they aren't hungry like the people on "regular" diets". so, with your two lbs in two weeks weight loss, i'd say you are a moderate to slow loser, and there's nothing wrong with that at all. common opinion is that you shouldn't lose more than a lb a week anyway. and are those 2 lbs coming back? did they stay off? one more thing: are you using a tape measure? if not, get one. so many people only weigh themselves. you could be replacing fat weight with muscle weight, and muscle weighs 5 times as much as fat does. it is dense mass, whereas fat is fluffy mass. please don't carb up. it can set off cravings and cheat episodes and believe me, once you cheat its hard to stop.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jun-16-04, 10:26

Plan: atkins
Stats: 159/127/105 Female 59 inches
BF:
Progress: 59%

I think you're just in the dreaded post induction(aka 3rd week) stall. I had this problem for almost 4 weeks where I didn't drop a pound. But the other thing was that I was steadily losing inches. This may be the case for you. On the upside, when I did start losing again I'm currently losing 2-4 pounds a week. Just stick with it and be patient. The weight didn't get put on in a couple of weeks. You are making excellent progress though.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jun-16-04, 10:41

BF:

thank you to all who posted. Well I can actually feel my muscles more. so the inches must be coming off, my stomach looks smaller, but when I measure it isn't, maybe I'm not measuring right. I don't know. I have alot of loose skin though after just having my baby 4months ago. I'm patient.
Tammy