Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-06-03, 17:31
Registered Member

Plan: Proten Power
Stats: 190/165/155
BF:??%/21%/12%
Progress: 71%
Angry Man Boobies.

I've got man-boobies, and boy does it suck. I first got them when I really blew up at about 14 when i pubesed. I'm 18 now. They are shrinking as a lose weight, but I want them GONE. It seems if i do a lot of pectoral exercise it just seems to bulk up the muscle under them making them look bigger or making them keep their same size as lose weight. My boobies are definately disproportionate to my stomach. Any advice would be very appreciated!

P.S. I currently do the Winsor Pilate's video's (highly recommend) and I do it 6 times a week. I'm supposed to wait a day between exersicing days? Is this designe to be easy enough to be able to do daily? Doesn't seem to say anyting about it on the DVD or on the website. THOSE UNSPECIFIC PUNKS!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-06-03, 17:36
Registered Member

Plan: Proten Power
Stats: 190/165/155
BF:??%/21%/12%
Progress: 71%
Default oh yea...

If infact I should only do the exercises 3 times a week, what about those 3 in between days (7th day is always rest). I keep cardio a daily thing, and I don't like not exercising 4 days a week!
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Feb-08-03, 11:51
Registered Member

Plan: SPII IS/BOAG
Stats: 186/136/140 Female 5' 5"
BF:A lot/18%/20%
Progress: 109%
Default Not to scare you...

Sometimes man-boobs come from simply being overweight and out of shape, but sometimes it's called gynecomastia, which is a fairly common condition in adolescent boys. Often it disappears as puberty fades away, but sometimes it is a lifelong thing. Severity varies, as does your choice of how to deal with it. Both my brother and my fiance' have or had gynecomastia, and my brother chose to have plastic surgery as soon as he was old enough (the surgeons like to wait until you're solidly out of adolescence to make sure that it won't just go away on its own, as often happens). My fiance', on the other hand, isn't terribly bothered by it -- to him, it's no bigger a deal than my un-shapely legs are to me, part of being a normal person instead of a supermodel.

I actually debated with myself a bit about whether to send this post, because I don't want to be telling you that you've got some kind of "freak disease" when all you need is some exercise and some weight lifting, or when it'll go away on its own in a year or two. However, I know my brother was so relieved to find out that it was something beyond his control -- it had bothered him to the point that he was starvation-dieting and injuring himself lifting weights, without its having any effect. So all I'm saying is that there is such a thing, and it's something that you may want to research and discuss with your physician.

You can find more information about gynecomastia at http://www.gynecomastia.org.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jun-15-04, 17:43

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 140/140/130 Male 5'6
BF:
Progress:

My gynecomastia is not horrible, but i'd rather not have it. However, I understand that if there is no hard glandular feeling behind the nipple, its not gyno just fat. Is that true? I don't feel anything hard, but then again, i'm not fat at all, in fact i'm a bit underweight. Maybe I have to lose more fat? Or is it truly gynecomastia?
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jun-15-04, 23:06

Plan: My Own
Stats: 290/234/200 Male 74 inches
BF:
Progress: 62%

You can be underweight and still carry a good amount of bodyfat on you. If you want ripped abs and a nice looking chest, all the exercises in the world are not going to help you unless you have some good cardio work to back it up.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jun-16-04, 02:51
Modified :)

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 242/223/175 Male 170cm
BF:
Progress: 28%

Or more importantly, (as Built is away just now, I'll say it )

"Abs are made in the kitchen"

It's all about the diet..... exercise is very important, but the diet is more important!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jun-16-04, 08:39

Plan: NHE/UD2/General LC
Stats: 175/175/175 Male 6'
BF:10/6/?
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogieb
Or more importantly, (as Built is away just now, I'll say it )

"Abs are made in the kitchen"

It's all about the diet..... exercise is very important, but the diet is more important!

I agree... no amount of cardio will make up for intense dietary indiscretion. The time some people put into cardio would be better spent building muscle and figuring out how to not overeat in the first place.