Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Sep-03-01, 11:45

Plan: adkins
Stats: 185/165/145
BF:
Progress:
Cool New and starting AGAIN

Hi,I'm new to this site but not new to the low carb way of living.I started on the Atkins May 19th 2000 and lost 25lbs the first 6 mo. Well I've slipped, off the wagon so to speak. Have not gained but 5lbs back but that's 5lbs too much as I did not reach my goal yet. I started at 185lbs and I now weigh around 163. my goal is 145 or less maybe 140 but I will never reach it if I don't stay with the low carbs. I tried low fat and gained 10 lbs and low every thing but only stayed hungry. I'm tired again and just don't feel well,on the low carbs I felt wonderful.My husband weighs 190lbs and is 6'5", can eat anything and as much as he wants, so its hard to limit what is coming into the house and I feel guilty about my cooking habits with him as he likes to eat. Need any help I can get and all the encouragement is welcome, I love to talk and am open to any ideas to help me stay with this for LIFE.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Sep-03-01, 14:12
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Welcome aboard Patsy!

Glad you found us. That's really great you re-started after just 5 lbs gain. It took me much more than that to get back

I have no tips on how to handle eating as a couple , but I'm sure someone will jump in and share their tips.

Wa'il
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Sep-03-01, 14:18

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 145?/131/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress:
Default Welcome

Hi Welcome back to lowcarbing and congratulations on your loss so far, you're doing wonderful. Since you're already experienced with Atkins you know how successful you can be. I'm hopeful that your husband supports your efforts, even if he doesn't want to eat exactly what you're eating.

I don't find it any trouble to make potatoes for my kids (occasionally), and of course they can eat all the store bought bread they want. Interesting though with two teenagers I still end up throwing out more bread than they eat. (I know I should keep it in the freezer and let them use one slice at a time). But saying that too...they are also more than willing to eat everything that I eat and I don't have to make anything extra, I just want to sometimes. We eat a lot of salads and meat for meals. Especially during the summer it's hard to turn down a great salad.

If you read the recipe sections (Karen's as well as the member's recipes), you'll find lots of ideas. Your husband might enjoy the Mock Hashbrowns instead of potatoes. Doreen came up with this and you can use either radish or turnip. I'm only mentioning potatoes are a lot of men really enjoy their meat and potatoes!!

I personally don't like boughten sugar free treats, but everyone is different here. I love to bake so I'm more confortable making my own as I know exactly what's in what I'm eating.

Enjoy reading the forum, I'm sure you'll find lots of information on it. There are new products and items/information constantly available to lowcarbers so there may be some new ones since your were lowcarbing before.

If there is something specific you're looking for you might try using the "Search" feature and perhaps it's a topic already been discussed. If not post your question and I'm sure someone will be able to help you.

Post often and let us know how you're doing!!! Keep up the good work.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Sep-03-01, 15:48
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

There are health benefits that everyone can gain by low carbing.

Just because your not fat on the outside does not mean that all is well on the inside. High blood pressure and arterial plaques are just two of the wonderful things that we can thank our typical western diet for.

I am not a part of a couple, but frequently entertain. No one has ever had anything but praise and wonderment for what they eat when I feed them. I fact many of my friends - and they're not what you would call fat - have been come low carb converts because of this.

For example, I'm having a barbecue tonight and this is on the menu:

Beef tenderloin with rosemary and garlic, Italian sausages, Portugueuse-style grilled quail

Grilled zucchini, eggplant and peppers with mint and lemon

Tomato, avocado and mozzarella salad with basil and olive oil

Daik-eto cakes - like potato pancakes but made with daikon radish

Chocolate tofu and toasted almond pate

Fresh strawberries and whipping cream

I am quite greatful for all the benefits this WOE has brought me and that I am still able to cook great tasting things.

Karen
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Sep-04-01, 13:50

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/162/135
BF:
Progress: 0%

welcome patsy! i gained almost all i lost before realizing this was a way of life! now that you know that, you know the pitfalls. i also didn't have this site the first time i lowcarbed!

karen, can i come to your barbeque! i'm drooling reading your menu! with your hectic schedule, how do you find time to do so much entertaining!