Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jun-18-04, 19:11

Plan: Carb Cycle
Stats: 185/155/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default The Stomach Pacemaker

** Never heard of this:

Obese Patients Have New Option - The Stomach Pacemaker

As America grows fatter, people and researchers are searching for a weight-loss treatment that works for the severely obese.

Drugs and surgery have been tried with varying degrees of success and risk - but now there's a possible new approach - a stomach pacemaker.

--------------------------

As America's obesity epidemic reaches crisis proportions, it's clear that the usual advice, eat smaller portions, exercise, avoid fats isn't working.

Which may explain the boom in so-called obesity surgery, where the stomach is surgically reduced in size and the intestines partially bypassed. It's effective, but many people are understandably reluctant to take such a major step.

"I felt I needed some medical attack to the problem, but also I didn't feel I need to have a largely invasive process," says Charles Rose.

Not too long ago, Rose was pushing 330 pounds. The financial analyst had already had a hip replaced and knew other health problems were looming.

"I think there's a point in your life where you want to take corrective action and it had to be done for myself as well as for my family," Rose remembers.

But Rose was reluctant to go for the surgery, so he opted for an implantable device that's been called a pacemaker for the stomach.

It's put in laparoscopically, minimizing post-op pain and recuperation. But more importantly, it doesn't rearrange your intestinal tract.

Small electrodes are placed on the stomach where they'll stimulate the vagus nerves, sending impulses to the brain - fooling it into thinking you're full.

"I can tell that I get fuller sometimes faster," says Rose. "I can tell sometimes I can't eat anymore, where before I just kept on eating."

Obesity experts have worked out a computer questionnaire that figures out which patient is most likely to benefit from the pacemaker approach.

While the "full" effect seems to be long lasting, the weight loss is slower and less dramatic than with surgery.

"Some people lose 20 to 30 percent of their excess body weight," says Dr. Louis Aronne of New York Presbyterian Hospital, "which is a significant amount of weight."

Researchers are looking for more volunteers who are willing to have a pacemaker implanted.

http://www.wavy.com/global/story.as...tType=Printable

Last edited by KathyD : Fri, Jun-18-04 at 19:14. Reason: forgot to put in the URL
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jun-21-04, 14:27

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 206/144/135 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 87%

I have a friend of a friend who is going to Europe to have this done. Apparently he can't have it here because it's still in the experimental stages in the U.S. This is the first article I've actually read about it though. Personally, I'm leery of any kind of surgery. However, there are always going to be persons who support gastric bypass and have it done. If this gives those people a safer alternative, that's a good thing I suppose.

Off subject train of thought . . . this is also the same friend of a friend who lost a lot of weight on Atkins but supposedly ended up in the hospital all screwed up. From what I hear though, this person was doing their own version of what they thought was Atkins and just eating meat and fat in large quantities-- no veggies, supplements or anything. So every time I'm with this circle of friends I get all the warnings and questions and the advise that "you know you can't stay on that diet for very long-- you'll get sick like him. Have you added grains back to your diet yet? I'm worried. Eating the way you have for so long is very dangerous." Blah, blah, blah . . .