Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, May-28-04, 10:36

Plan: atkins
Stats: 273.5/255/145 Female 5ft 6in
BF:
Progress: 14%
Talking i'm going camping... need ideas

well... i'm going camping with my kids, my parents, and my brother and his family. any ideas on how i can stay on plan? it seems that most easy to take along food is high in carbs or is just plain junky.

i also need ideas for doing a scavenger hunt in the woods. can you think of some cool things to try to find. my kids are 6 and 2.

i'm leaving this afternoon. PLEASE HELP!

thanks in advance
Serena
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, May-28-04, 10:50
MySpaceBarSticks.

Stats: 21/20/180 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: -1%

canned ham tuna and chicken. stop by mcdonalds and grab some mayo packets. lol
fresh green beans , you can eat them raw or cooked. also celery, cucumbers etc...
hard bolied eggs, and cheese if you have a cooler or fridge.
nuts and sunflower seeds are good and small for packing.
a few atkins shakes would be good for when they are having smores or late night snacks.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, May-28-04, 13:28
... Pro-Atkins!

Plan: General LC
Stats: 312/274/220 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 41%

Beef jerky ... if you can find it without added sugar.

Also, the processed meat sticks like pepperoni, Slim Jim's and such ... filled with sodium and nitrates, but will keep and are snacky. Although, as you mention in your post, they are seriously junky - so you may want to stay away.

Speaking of junky ... they do make LC marshmellows ... but they're a mail order kind of item. Something to think about for next time!

Sorry, no ideas for a scavenger hunt - but it sure sounds fun. Please report back how your trip went!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, May-28-04, 13:44

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 273.5/236.0/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairphire
well... i'm going camping with my kids, my parents, and my brother and his family. any ideas on how i can stay on plan? it seems that most easy to take along food is high in carbs or is just plain junky.

i also need ideas for doing a scavenger hunt in the woods. can you think of some cool things to try to find. my kids are 6 and 2.

i'm leaving this afternoon. PLEASE HELP!

thanks in advance
Serena

Hi Serena - Hope it's not too late. Camping food - eggs and bacon even when we weren't low carbing. Also, if you like them, pork rinds when everyone is eating chips. Individually wrapped cheeses, are good and unless it is really hot hold up well.

As for the scavenger hunt, nature stuff - tree bark, different shaped leaves (good way to teach about poison ivy too!) pine cones, anything with color (weeds or flowers) rocks (big rock, little rock, round rock....) if I knew the area better I could be more help - but look around when you get there and you can probably find 8-10 things to look for without too much trouble.

have fun,
PecanPie
  #5   ^
Old Fri, May-28-04, 14:29
90 Days at a Time

Plan: Glycemic Load
Stats: 426/405.2/326 Male 74 in.
BF:
Progress: 21%

Rule number one if you are going scavenger hunting with kids in the south: be careful of snakes. I know of 2 "snipe" hunts over the years where one kid got tagged by a water moccasin and one kid (another time) by a rattlesnake.

Of course, both snakes are low carb if you do happen to come across them.

True southern camping calls for potted meat and spam. Keeps well and if you go into starvation mode is almost edible.

Have fun. And if you see any snipes, holler.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, May-28-04, 17:24

Plan: LC BFL
Stats: 279/155/135 Female 5'5
BF:39/24/<20
Progress: 86%

im prolly too late, but have fun!
  #7   ^
Old Sun, May-30-04, 21:32

Stats: 273.5/255/145 Female 5ft 6in
BF:
Progress: 14%

back from the trip. thanks everyone who responded. i'll have to use your ideas next time... i didn't even get a chance to peek back here until now.

friday we spent the day in town buying stuff for the trip (short trip that is, LOL).

saturday we spent a lot of the day setting up camp and that kind of thang. but we did get to have some fun too. we got intertubes and tubed down the river from my mom's house to the camp site. this took an hour or two, but it was pretty fun. we had a great fishing spot. we caught an alligator gar (really weird pre-historic kind of fish), bass, crappys, and some other stuff. but we ended up eating hamburgers because it was getting so late. I CHEATED! I ate 2 whole buns and a few cookies. we really didn't do all that much snacking like i was afraid of, which is a good thing. it ended up raining saturday night and then sunday morning we decided to abandon camp and go back home! LOL! the boys of the camp went back there later today to go fishing again, but me and my family decided to hang out at home and watched movies all day. it was still to rainy for our tastes. hopefully tomorrow will be sunny and we will go back and take the camp down. luckily there is no rush to do that. it can stay up or come down and no one will bother it. you need 2 different kinds of 4-wheel drive to get back there... or a boat, lol.

i'm back on track today eating wise. no worries. well that's pretty much it.

Serena