Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-20-04, 23:03
Beautifully Chaotic

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 334.5/320.0/150.0 Female 63 inches / 5ft 3in
BF:
Progress: 8%
Talking My New Way of Eating

After 43 years of ups and downs with the ups eventually winning, I blossomed to over 300 pounds. That means that according to all of those fun little charts out there that I most definetly qualify to be hanging out in this forum. Actually, I figure half of me going away would suffice, and so far have taken off 18 pounds (time to weigh again), that means approximately 130 to go. I started in March, so am averaging about 2 to 3 pounds a week.

I am finding doing Atkin's to be quite easy. I know that I feel better. Carbs and sugars just seem to make my body unhappy, as well as cause weight gain. My hunger has diminshed and sometimes I actually forget to eat, kinda like my water. I am working on the water the most. Any ideas on how to get it in every day? I have tried having a glass of water next to me on my desk while I work, it gets ignored... kinda trying now this odd way of everytime I void, drink a glass of water. This has actually enlarged my bladder as I think I am subconsciously avoiding the water. I am trying lots of new foods, spaghetti squash is a new one for me. I had knee surgery 2 months ago and am finding exercise being avoided about like the water.

I found this site in desperation. I am finding my clothes to be fitting loosely, so I thought, try on your thinner clothes. I did, they fit better also. But, what I discovered sent me into a pity-spiral today. With the fat going away, I am finding that my pannus is drooping even more than it had at my heaviest. This is very depressing as I don't really have shirts, and have a hard time finding them, that are long enough to cover this. Odd, when I was at my heaviest, you would think that at some point I would have been bothered by this instead of when I am losing... anyway, I plan on surgery once the weight is all off, but in the meantime, what to do with it... I considered duct tape but then thought better of it....

Well, I look forward to meeting you and thank you for allowing me a safe place to come to and be understood.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, May-21-04, 05:16

Plan: Atkins/W.W.
Stats: 401/299/170 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 44%

Welcome, Lizzy!

Try drinking at least a quart (within a half hour) 1x am....another at noon....another before supper! OR.....try flavoring water with a *touch* of crystal light...diluting it to keep the carbs down.
I, too, have a pannus that hangs down....(my arms are just as bad!) I'm trying to focus on getting my weight down first....later on I'll consider any surgical removal of skin. Perhaps, wearing some spandex there would make you feel better....

tulips
  #3   ^
Old Fri, May-21-04, 06:45

Plan: CAD from day 1
Stats: 327/304/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 14%
Default Hello :)

There is hope. I started at a higher weight than you and I found that my tummy seemed worse than ever when I first started losing too. But, now I am noticing that it is getting a lot better. It gets squooshy, then a bit smaller. I don't know what I will end up with when I reach goal, but it is sure to be better than where I started and I can figure out what to do about extra bits and pieces when I get there.

When you are ready, adding some exercise is good too. I wasn't ready till I had already lost 100 lbs, but now I am going to a gym regularily, for a mild workout. It's a start

Good luck, and welcome!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, May-21-04, 07:02

Stats: 255/187/150 Female 5'0
BF:
Progress: 65%

Hi Lizzy,
Welcome to the TDC. I also find that my lower stomach is the area I most need to camouflage. I always look for pants that have a couple of pleats in the front, or gathered elastic--they create a natural "puff" in the front that disguises some of the fleshiness--and then I usually wear loose fitting knit shirts. I haven't had trouble finding long ones, but then again I am only 5 feet tall!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, May-21-04, 08:36

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 322/240/140 Female 5'6''
BF:I have no idea
Progress: 45%

Hi

Welcome to the TDC. I also have problems with my stomach. It has started to tighten up a little, but not enough to satisfy me. That and my left hip is hanging onto much more fat than my right hip Anyway, welcome. I know you will enjoy it here. Marty
  #6   ^
Old Fri, May-21-04, 10:48

Plan: LC BFL
Stats: 279/155/135 Female 5'5
BF:39/24/<20
Progress: 86%

hey lizzy- if u eat 6 times a day as u should and drink 12 ozs of water before every "meal", you're on target with your water. my desk water gets ignored too- i have to force it down, but when it comes around mealtime and i start looking forward to eating, its easy to bang down 12ozs water i have a similar belly thing goin on too and mines uneven to boot, i just try to wear tighter jeans, it makes me feel better and hold it all together im lucky that i've had like 1 pair of almost every size of jeans and i can do this... my smallest pair is getting loose, tho, so, i think im gonna have to break down and buy a new (smaller) pair- although i'm reluctant because since i started, i've been losing at the rate of a size or so a week- i just dunno. i really hope i dont have to have surgery. do u have kids? i've read alot of moms- even in reaching their goal weight have the little pooch or loose skin that they struggle with *sigh* but then god created control top pantyhose anyways- good luck & welcome
  #7   ^
Old Fri, May-21-04, 11:27

Stats: 235/153/135 Female 5'0
BF:
Progress: 82%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzyMc
... I considered duct tape but then thought better of it....

Ouch! You're not alone with that problem as you can see by the replies! Mine is doing funny things, getting all squishy, dips in odd places. But every week, the measurements prove I'm shrinking and that's what counts. Clothes can disguise this for now - and hey, it's fun getting into smaller size clothes!!

Have you tried different temperatures for the water? I tend to drink more water when it's ice cold, and have trouble swallowing it when it's even just cool. Whatever you do, make sure you get it in!

Best of luck,
Rocky

Last edited by Rocky_Cdn : Fri, May-21-04 at 11:37.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, May-21-04, 15:28

Plan: PSMF
Stats: 328/255.0/150 Female 5' 6"
BF:52%/43%/20%
Progress: 41%

Welcome to the Forum Lizzy! This is a great place, you'll love it here!

OMG I just googled pannus, never heard it before. Now I've seen pictures and I'm intrigued and terrified by the before and after shots!! I'm gonna start dry brushing everyday hoping to not need that surgery, but it is nice to know it exists, incase it's necessary!
  #9   ^
Old Fri, May-21-04, 17:19

Stats: 296/258/136 Female 5 ft. 6 in.
BF:Lots, definately
Progress: 24%

Welcome Lizzy! I know exactly what you mean about finding a safe place where you are undrstood =) Looking forward to reading your posts and seeing your progress!

~ Lori
  #10   ^
Old Fri, May-21-04, 19:28
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

Welcome Lizzy! In my experience, as we start to lose weight a lot of us become more and more dissatisfied with our physical appearance. I think it is because we were in denial for so long and now we are putting all this energy into focusing on what we look like. You can get past it. I find it helpful to focus on what my body can now do, not what it looks like.