Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, May-18-04, 07:33
{{{Kickin Ash}}}

Plan: Atkins 1972
Stats: 223/190/160 Female 5ft8
BF:OUT OF CONTROL
Progress: 52%
Unhappy Calf pain, please help :(

Since I got my treadmill, and loving it I have this annoying pain in my left calf. The treadmill came with stretching exercises. Im starting to wonder if they are enough. I am far from an exercise buff and would like that to change.I am still doing a minimal of 1 mile a day and my left calf still has that dull pain. The stretches it says to do are;Toe touch stretch,Hamstring stretch,Calf/Achilies stretch, Quadriceps stretch and Inner thigh stretch. It says to do 3 times holding 15 seconds each. I do them before and after my 1 mile. This really upsets me. Am I doing somthing to hurt myself that I can't pin point? PLEASE help someone before I get too disscouraged..

Thank you
Angel
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, May-18-04, 08:04
Modified :)

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 242/223/175 Male 170cm
BF:
Progress: 28%

Hi BlitzedAng - have you like *just* got the treadmill and were you doing any exercising beforehand? It's possibly just your muscles getting a shock from zero exercise to daily, especially if you've started and not had any rest days yet. I've heard various things about stretching, particularly relating to not stretching muscles while cold (ie before you start) as it can cause problems, but I don't know for sure.

Hope that helps a little!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, May-18-04, 08:14
{{{Kickin Ash}}}

I was walking 1-2 miles evey other day at secret woods before I got my treadmill. Didn't have this pain. That's why I am so confused.
Also it only being in the left calf.. Sorry I may sound a lil nuts,lol.
Angel

ps.. I will try warming up a lil first before stretching exercises.

Last edited by BlitzedAng : Tue, May-18-04 at 09:18.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, May-18-04, 09:45

Plan: Yudkin
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:
Progress: 100%

Most important: start with a 48 hours rest. Most of the light walk/jog pain disappear in 48 hours.

Please, do NOT stretch before walk/jog. To stretch cold muscles can cause bigger damage than the walk/jog itself. (You might check any walk/run web sites, they all advice against pre-walk/jog stretch.)

Instead of stretch, warm up - 5-7 min with slow walk (for example starting with 3 mile/hour, then slowly increasing the speed with .1 in every min).
If the 1 mile is walk, and not jog, a LIGHT calf stretch after the walk is enough.

How fast is the 1 mile? Are you use any incline?

If you walked every other day without problem, how about now keeping the same every other day schedule? It is easier for the leg 2 miles every other day, than 1 mile every day.

Something els: I envy you for the "secret woods". Trails are the EASIEST for the legs. Even the best treadmill is harder. Your legs might react simply to the different/ harder surface.

As an encouragement: the first weeks/months of walk/jog are always hard. It is very common to feel light pain here and there. To feel different pains in the tow legs is common too. After 8-10 weeks all these pains go away, and only the pleasure stays:-)))

Take care:
Eva

Last edited by Galadriell : Tue, May-18-04 at 10:07.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, May-18-04, 10:07
{{{Kickin Ash}}}

Galadriell.
I cannot thank you enough for exsplaining it all to me in such detail. Your so kind. Hmmm, never should have believed the info that came with the treadmill, now I see. When I was just doing my walks at secret woods 2 ml per hr, I never stretched before walking. DOH! Somtimes the answer is right in front of me.

I cannot jog . So I prefer to walk and I enjoy it.

I am starting slow, no incline and at 2 mph.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, May-18-04, 12:25

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Shoes?

Are your legs the same length? You might not have noticed on a path in a park where it could show up on a treadmill. Better running shoe stores will be able to check for you. Look at your shoes to see if they're wearing evenly.

Downward facing dog is the calf stretch to end all calf stretches. Look in a yoga book if you don't know what it looks like.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, May-18-04, 12:36
Registered Member

Plan: Cudmore
Stats: 342/310/180 Male 68
BF:34
Progress: 20%

Try new shoes. Alternate between outdoor walking and using your treadmill. Alternating will better distribute the stress that you are placing on your muscle groups. Drink plenty of water and take a vitamin/mineral supplement that contains potassium.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, May-20-04, 13:03
{{{Kickin Ash}}}

Ok, Ive rested my calf and it still hurts even sitting down. Now this is crazy. It is really bumming me out.