Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, May-10-04, 09:47

Plan: Semi-Vegeterian LCer
Stats: 375/000/220 Female 5'5
BF:45%
Progress: 242%
Default Signs of the 50 lb stall

Okay, I don't have a scale and won't until I move out of state...no sense in buying something twhen I need to get rid of almost everything I have...so, here I am knowing only that I dropped 3 dress sizes and it seems I'm now stuck. My appetite has decreased so I don't eat that much anymore and when I do I try to stick to protein etc. the only exception has been the low carb tortillas. And for mother's day I had the Atkins snack food and ice cream, which were 5 carbs each. Okay, but my sister hadn't seen me in 3 wks and apparently I looked no differently than when she left, I haven't dropped sizes anymore etc.

Am I at the 50 lb stall? How do I get out of this? I do excerise. I go walking 3 X's a week and I've started doing some excerises while in bed on the days I don't walk to excerise my legs and to tighten my stomach muscles...what can I do if I'm stuck???
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, May-10-04, 10:59
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

I think that it is unrealistic, after losing 50 pounds, to expect to see a noticeable change in three weeks. That doesn't mean you are stalling, you may well be losing one or two or three pounds a week, it just won't be very noticeable in that amount of time. You may also be losing weight one week and not the next. I'm at the point where it takes me six months to lose a clothing size. Changes are not noticeable over three weeks, but I'm not stalled, I'm just losing more slowly than I was originally when I changed clothing sizes every two or three months.

Very few people continue to lose rapidly after the first 50 pounds, but most of us continue to lose. Without more data (scale or tape measure), I would not assume you are stalled.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, May-11-04, 06:31
Registered Member

Stats: 340/287/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 28%

I hit 54 lbs lost last September and haven't budged since! I watch every bite I eat, but it does make resisting temptations very difficult. I'm at 25-30 carbs a day and last month reduced calories to about 1300 a day...still nothing. But I'm not giving up, because I found out the hard way that it only takes me a couple of days of eating "normal" to pack on 10 lbs. I'd rather stay where I'm at than go back to where I was.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, May-11-04, 06:46

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

kmarace: what you may actually need is to RAISE both the carbs & the calories.

Our bodies adapt to the low level of both and become very efficient. Then if you lower the calories, it amounts to starvation mode. It is well worthwhile trying to eat more for a few weeks BUT NOT starches and sugars. Don't "eat normal" - not now and not ever again. Keep to the LC foods and you may get a very nice surprise.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, May-11-04, 07:53
Registered Member

BF:

Tofi - Tried to up carbs to 30 and weight started piling back on. So I'm now watching calories too. Don't know what else to do. Tried refeed for 2 days, went off for a couple of weeks, thinking to "fool" my body, excersised more (gained even more weight and added 10 inches in 1 month...yewww!!), I'm a walking pharmacy with all the vitamins...just don't know what to do anymore, so I've resigned myself to just being happy to maintain even though I'm still 100+ from my goal.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 14:56

Stats: 310/259/180 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 39%

kmarace, I have the same problem you do. For the past 6 months I have not lost a single pound. In total I have lost 70 lbs, but I reached 235 and I go from 235 to 240 and back down again and stay there no matter what I do. Like you, I have resigned to be happy with this weight and continue eating the way I am eating because I don't want to go back to being 310 lbs like I used to be.

I hope that eventually my body starts losing again. I don't know why this happens or how to change it. I have tried every thing possible and nothing.

Good luck.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 18:01

Stats: 255/187/150 Female 5'0
BF:
Progress: 65%

Long stalls seem to happen to some people. I have been around this forum for nine months and have seen people stop losing for 6 months or more then slowly begin to lose again. I think sometimes change is good, and it doesn't matter so much WHAT the change is (within reason). For example, try eating more fat as a percentage of your daily diet. Try weight lifting instead of some of your cardio or walking (or try it even if you don't do cardio). Eat a greater variety of vegetables and less red meat. One of these changes might spark your metabolism, and at any rate would make life more varied.

For me, I find that most months now my weight loss registers on the scale ONLY during TOM. Then I drift up a pound, down a pound, until the next monthly visit.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, May-19-04, 11:54
I'm Back!

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 314/280/145 Female 5'3"
BF:Too Much!
Progress: 20%

Same here quest. This is my second and last time for restarting Atkins, this time it is for good I originally the first time started at 314 pounds and hit a big stall at 264 I got discouraged and went off and went up to 277 and started feeling sick, tired and achey again so that was that and I got to 271 since 5/11/04 but I am with you with the TOM so I am not touching that scale until after. I have not cheated one bit so I just do not want to see a number unless it is acurate so I do not get discouraged! By the way, you have done wonderful, way to go!!
  #9   ^
Old Wed, May-19-04, 12:04

Stats: 274/190/150 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 68%

funny funny stuff. . .I haven't posted in a while. . .cause I have been stalled for almost 6 months. . .have not gained. . .do not intend to. . .so I am not giving up. . .and I am ever hopeful. Refining my WOL. . .need to drink more water. redawn
  #10   ^
Old Wed, May-19-04, 12:36
Registered Member

BF:

Well, still stalled, but I'm getting more hopeful. I've been hovering 1-2 lbs from my "stall weight" for about 2 weeks now instead of 5-10 lbs. I'm now upping my calories, just too dang hungry - yes, HUNGRY at 1200 - 1300. My stomach growled so bad, it scared my yorkie, it took him almost 2 weeks to sit on my lap again. When I'm hungry, I have absolutely NO will power. I need that meat! I'm going to up protien and fat. Still stay away from nuts and all that handy-dandy new processes LC foods...I think that's what made me trip up. LC ice cream, LC candy, nuts, nuts, nuts. The last few weeks, I've really worked on my boredom night munchie habit. I don't eat anything that's low carb, but I'm beginning to thing just because it's low carb, it might not be GOOD low carb. I'm just sticking with the basics the next few weeks and see how it goes. I'll let you know how it goes.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, May-19-04, 12:38
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarace
I don't eat anything that's low carb, but I'm beginning to thing just because it's low carb, it might not be GOOD low carb.

OOOPPPSSS. That was suppose to be...I don't eat anything that's NOT low carb...hahahaha, what a mistake!
  #12   ^
Old Wed, May-19-04, 14:43
I'm Back!

Kmarace you are too funny, I needed the chuckle! Now that you mentioned it, I was eating alot of the "low car" goodies too when I stalled. Maybe not that I ate them I am sure they are good but maybe too many was my case. So with Induction of course I am back to basics and losing so this time when I am ready, I will be reserved in my using the "low carb" goodies. I have a night time munchie problem also I am over coming and it is not easy, but so far so good. I wish you every continued success and I am sure we will be seeing each other in the forum again!
  #13   ^
Old Wed, May-19-04, 19:33

Plan: Atkins/South Beach
Stats: 318/180/178 Male 5'11"
BF:?/16/16
Progress: 99%

I think I'm in a stall too and its starting to get on my nerves. Just when I thought I had my routine down to a science. I'm going to start weight training at least three times per week instead of just once a week.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, May-20-04, 08:38
I'm Back!

Don't worry Toastyboy, it will start coming off again. Just do not forget that with weight training muscle weighs more than fat so if you show a gain, you may want to just compare measurments afterall, the tape don't lie! Good luck!!!
  #15   ^
Old Fri, May-21-04, 07:03

Stats: 327/271/200 Male 5' 10"
BF:Less Than Before!
Progress: 44%

mee too ;(

only I call it the 50 pound creep

Actually, am still losing about 1 pound a month on average. While FRUSTRATINGLY SLOW, it is in the right direction - and I will take it. I no longer care how long it takes me to finish my hundred pounds.

For the first time in my life, I believe I will get there and stay there.....

Last edited by DayStar : Fri, May-21-04 at 20:50.