Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, May-15-04, 14:24

Plan: Cyclic Ketogenic
Stats: 245/167/180 Male 71.5
BF:30%/11.4%/9%
Progress: 120%
Default This does not seem right!!

I just added up my intake for the day...And i've been generous with it!

Its 3:30 PM almost... I'm FULL...and i'm eating some black beans right now.

I counted the black beans at 50 g

2 bowls cereal, lets say 60g (23g per serving of cheerios..)
3 pieces of whole wheat bread so far, 12g each
Some peanut butter, 14g
1 bagel with enriched wheat flour (oops?) 61g
few handfuls of popcorn I found...can't be too heavy, but lets be generous and say 50g.

This is only 241.

My BF is 18% which I calculated my lean mass to be like 150lbs, so I should consume about 500-600g carbohydrate. How do you reccomend I do this? I know I will be eating chinese later, but that is in no way going to account for 300g carbs.

Not counting my fat much either, but its low, only things with fat were the peanut butter...
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, May-15-04, 15:43
Southern Gentleman

Plan: CKD
Stats: 272/219/210 Male 70.5 inches
BF:30+/20-21/14-15
Progress: 85%

I've heard quite a few people say that it is hard to eat enough on carb-up. I wish I had that problem, hehe. Once I start eating carbs, watch out, 'cause if you're in the way, you might lose something, hahaha.

Anyway, an easy way to up your carb intake is to drink them. Get some dextrose or some maltodextrin and add them to a protein shake or any beverage and "down the hatch". It may be very sweet, but it goes down quick.

Dextrose is about 24 grams per 1/8 cup (a reg.coffee scoop) which is what I use in my post workout protein shake, but after my depletion workout, I start with 4 or these (96grams) in that post workout shake. Doesn't really fill you up, but makes it easier to get those carbs in.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, May-15-04, 15:46
Southern Gentleman

This one does fill you up, but I have a high capicity for food, haha. I carry around plastic containers or zip-lock bags of Golden Grahms or other low-fat cereal and munch on it continuosly. I just munch away all day, while I'm driving, at my computer, etc.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, May-15-04, 15:49
Southern Gentleman

One last thing, if you get much lower bodyfat-wise, you may need to start doing an additional small carb-up mid-week, as the lower your bodyfat the more often a refeed (our carb-up) is needed. If you want to research this, you might have more luck searching on the word "refeed".
  #5   ^
Old Sat, May-15-04, 16:30

Well, I measured 18% body fat, I dont think it is right, I would guess i'm more around 16% but still.

I just finished bowl of rice with some black beans, and that brings my carb count to about 400g being generous, and now I am having some lowfat icecream, 40gs...last is chinese which will be some pasta and rice. I hope these foods work. That should bring me close to 550.

Tomorrow: Ketosis again
  #6   ^
Old Sat, May-15-04, 16:38
Southern Gentleman

Sounds good....to tell the truth I don't even count calories or carb grams on carb-ups, I just eat and eat and eat. I got measured at 23% BF a couple of months ago and think I'm a little less now, 22% or maybe 21%. Anyway, what I'm saying is if it's working that's all that matters, that's why I'm not worrried about counting during carb-up yet, as long as I'm losing fat it's working and I'm not gonna' fix it.

So, if what you do works, stick with it for awhile

Are you gonna carb just for the one day or are you doing 2 days? I've had pretty good success with both, just lose a little bit more when I do one, but have to eat even more in that one day!
  #7   ^
Old Sat, May-15-04, 16:40

I started yesterday at noon, so it ends tonight at midnight..but it'll end tonight at about 8PM when I eat chinese. I feel fat as hell right now, even though I just weighed myself before the rice and whatnot, and I only weighed in at 169..Which I am assuming will drop back down to 165 by friday. Seems repitive, so I'll have to buy some calipers to measure body fat.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, May-15-04, 16:43

Think I can go to the gym and run for 30 minutes? I feel like I should and I have the time, or will it effect my muscles badly?
  #9   ^
Old Sat, May-15-04, 16:55
Give chance a chance

Plan: General LC maintenance
Stats: 152.6/115.6/115 Female 60 inches
BF:28%
Progress: 98%

I'm sorry? I don't understand what the issue is here. You are below your goal, eating almost entirely carbs, on something you describe as an "on and off plan", and asking if you should go to gym? Maybe I'm just not paying enough attention.

I congratulate you on your weight loss but wonder if perhaps you might be better off on a different board at this time....

Sorry if I am misunderstanding.

Kay
  #10   ^
Old Sat, May-15-04, 17:05

Sorry, by "my own off and on plan" I mean a CKD, I just never changed it.

This isn't a "Atkins board" its a Cyclic ketogenic diet board. Your intention is to gain LEAN MASS, not fat.

I asked if it is ok to go to the gym on this diet during the carb load, because i'm NOT USED to a carb binge like this with the intent of it aiding fat loss. I figure if I had time to run I might, but I do not want it to have any adverse effect on my muscles. So I asked the people more familar with it.

Sorry if my questions offend you.

Quote:
You are below your goal, eating almost entirely carbs, on something you describe as an "on and off plan"

Do you even know what it is I am doing?
  #11   ^
Old Sat, May-15-04, 17:52
Southern Gentleman

It would be better if you wait till tommorrow morning or sometime tommorrow to do any cardio and about 45 min. to 1 hr 30min of low to moderate level would be best.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, May-15-04, 17:59
Southern Gentleman

Yeah, I know, you can get to feeling REAL full and fat, but hang in there 'cause that feeling will be gone soon enough and your metabolism will be reved up and ready to kick of fat's a*# during the weeks keto phase!

I often don't eat as much on the day following the carb-up as the rest of the week, since that feeling of being so full can carry over then and that helps me cut a few calories out of my weekly total. Keep in mind that you HAVE to go kinda' heavy on the fat (%) tommorrow to help the speed of getting back into ketosis.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, May-15-04, 18:02

Hot dogs it is then.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, May-15-04, 18:15
Give chance a chance

Plan: General LC maintenance
Stats: 152.6/115.6/115 Female 60 inches
BF:28%
Progress: 98%

No, I am not offended, just puzzled. Having been a registered member here for well over a year, and never having heard of the "Cyclic ketogenic diet", I'm a bit lost in your posts.

Whatever. It does seem to be working for you. I have a feeling we have reached the limit of our conversational exchange....Honestly, no hard feelings. You have done great!

Take care,
Kay
  #15   ^
Old Sat, May-15-04, 18:24

Thank you, just got irritated because the board is titled "CKD/Body Opus"

CKD being "Cyclic Ketogenic Diet".