Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

View Poll Results: Exercise or Diet --which should come first?
Start exercise program first, before changing the way you eat 9 8.18%
Change the way you eat first and THEN start exercising 64 58.18%
Change the way you eat and begin exercising at the same time 26 23.64%
I don't know or doesn't make any difference 11 10.00%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

#1   ^
Old Thu, Apr-15-04, 06:32
Registered Member

Plan: low carb/low fat
Stats: 255/236/155 Female 5 ft. 9 in.
BF:32%/?/20%
Progress: 19%
Default Exercise vs Eating Plan: Which should you start first?

I just read an article in GOOD HOUSEKEEPING by Bob Greene who has been Oprah Winfrey's personal trainer. He said that people who need to lose weight should begin an exercise program first and not think about changing the way they eat until later. Then he said they should gradually change the way they eat a little at a time. I was wondering what others think of this idea?

Last edited by fluffybear : Thu, Apr-15-04 at 06:37. Reason: change title
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Apr-15-04, 06:42
PuertoRican Princess

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 299/236/135 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 38%

I think you should start eating right and exercising at the same time. IMO!

However, I didn't start exercising regularly right away cause I would get so tired all the time due to being so heavy. I did try though and only got very little done, but something was better than nothing.

#3   ^
Old Thu, Apr-15-04, 06:47

Plan: IF & Paleo
Stats: 270/254/150 Female 68 inches
BF:--- too much!
Progress: 13%

I see the logic in beginning an exercise program first.. you will burn more calories at a heavier weight and it's good to change one thing at a time.

That being said, study after study shows that exercise alone will not contribute to significant weight loss. When I finally decided to the get the fat off, I wanted to see results and somewhat quickly. I changed my food plan... and honestly, I just began to exercise regularly 2 weeks ago.

If I had to do it all over again (and God willing, I NEVER will ), I would change my food plan and start moving more at the same time - light walking, maybe a little bit of hand weight action while watching the tube. After I got my food plan down and was comfortable with what I was eating (shopping, preparing, etc.), I would go into a more structured regiment like classes and/or a gym membership - with no more than a 6 week break between food plan and exercise start.

JM2C! Paris
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-15-04, 07:15
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I can see advantages to doing it both ways. If you change your eating habits first you have time to get over the carb withdrawls (or accustomed to lower cal depending on your diet). This way you are more adjusted when you start exercising.

If you start the exercise program first your body will be more accustmed to working out. So while it will be hard at first when you change diet, getting back into your rutine won't be aproblem. Also with exercising already you can tolerate a higher level of claories or carbs and won't risk doing yourself damage by adding exercise while taking in too much energy.

Regardless of which is started first, i think they both should go together in any any attempt to improve health. Exercising will increase lean miscle mass which means higher metabolism, better circulation for less cellulite and a more toned and lean look. Dieting alone can't do this and for many no matter how low they go they always have problem areas they hate unless they exercise them.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Apr-15-04, 07:22
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I voted for "doesn't make any difference". Specifically, I would say, "do it whichever way is going to keep you in for the long haul." Some people prefer to dive right in and do it all at once. Others have to ease themselves in and make one change at a time. Do what you can without getting overwhelmed or resentful.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Apr-15-04, 07:33

Plan: Atkins & M/E
Stats: 225/216/140 Female 65
BF:31%/26%/25%
Progress: 11%

I didn't start exercising until I changed my eating plan because I didn't want to fall into the same trap I did before my wedding some years ago (when I wanted to go down a dress size and went up instead!) when I thought a good workout was licence to eat whatever I wanted afterwards!!! It was only after I saw the initial results with Atkins and was convinced the only I wanted to go (weightwise) was down that I got the discipline to continue eating right and exercise three times a week. This has worked for me as I continue to work out at least three-four times a week which was completely unfathomable to me before (this is the person who paid for a year's gym membership and went three times!!!)
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Apr-15-04, 08:49

Plan: Atkins 72 Version
Stats: 175.5/123.5/115 Female 5'3 I grew an Inch!
BF:??/21%/19-20%
Progress: 86%

I voted for eat right first then start exercising. It worked for me!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Apr-15-04, 11:16
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Well, you really will find your don't lose much weight by exercise alone. And losing weight can make exercise easier. So I voted start the diet first.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Apr-15-04, 11:17
Registered Member

Plan: Cudmore
Stats: 342/310/180 Male 68
BF:34
Progress: 20%

Both! Both! Both!
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Apr-15-04, 14:38

Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

I voted food first, exercise second, because when you have extra weight, it can be really tough to be active. (When I think of all the pants that got the insides of the thighs rubbed away, it's no dang wonder!)

My first week on Atkins I was lucky to make it upstairs to my apartment, much less more exercise on top. Once I got into the swing of my LC eating, I had much more energy, and exercise would become more interesting and attractive.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Apr-15-04, 14:46

Stats: 235/153/135 Female 5'0
BF:
Progress: 82%

I voted food first, exercise second. For me one thing at a time was the way to go. And starting out with the food was less threatening. Then I slowly started adding in more exercise, and as my energy increased, more exercise.

It's working!
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Apr-15-04, 15:03
Fitday PC's #1 Fan

Plan: Maintenance
Stats: 310/151.0/152.5 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 101%

I voted for doing both together. However, a lot of folks who low carb need the effects of a low carb diet to control blood sugar & insulin. Exercising with uncontrolled low blood sugar doesn't work really well.

I still think start them both at the same time, working within your current abilities for exercise and increasing as blood sugar gets stable and your body gets healthier.

Lynda
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Apr-15-04, 15:59

Plan: Whatever works!
Stats: 245.5/235/140 Female 63
BF:Way too much
Progress: 10%

Many times when people are overweight, you are dealing with weight, psychological issues, and food issues. I think Bill is right on target with the exercise, because if you truly are going to make this a lifetime change, then exercise needs to be part of it. Also, making a lot of changes all at once can be very frustrating to people, changing a little at a time is usually much more doable for most people, guess it's like quitting smoking, does one have better luck just quitting cold turkey or gradually weaning themselves off cigarettes?

hmmmmmmmmmmmm.

I feel exercise is key, and I agree with Bob Greene that exercise should come first.

LL
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Apr-15-04, 16:08

Plan: PSMF
Stats: 328/255.0/150 Female 5' 6"
BF:52%/43%/20%
Progress: 41%

I voted not sure. I started exercise first hoping it would help me shed some weight. I did lose a good percent of body fat this way, but the scale only dropped about 1# a month. Six months of this and I figured out I need to get serious about a diet plan as well. Combining both has been great!
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Apr-15-04, 17:49
Registered Member

Plan: CAD or wire jaw shut?
Stats: 97/94.6/65 Female 168 cm
BF:
Progress: 8%
Unhappy I am hardly the best example

but I believe in theory that its a LIFESTYLE CHANGE and you have to have the right WOE and EXERCISE. I've been exercising for years. I walk 10km everyday yet I am still obese. I need to do the diet as well. I can't even imagine what it would be like not to exercise. I would feel awful.
I was talking to a friend who has been going to the gym for 4months and has lost 12kgs(26lbs) (grrrrr I hate her LOL). She is eating her normal way (very unhealthy donuts/chocolate biscuits/coffee with two sugars etc). She doesnt have to changed her diet to lose weight.
some ppl are just lucky. I am not unfortunately .
I believe that even if I got down to goal I would still walk 10km a day. Heck maybe I'll be running it!