Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 08:48

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 165/159/145 Female 5ft5inches
BF:
Progress:
Default Newbie here with some questions!

Hi - I'm fairly new to the Atkins or Lo Carb way of life - today is day 17...I have a few questions I am anxious to hear back about:

1. All-in-One dexatrim bar...1g net carb - anyone try yet? I had one this morning and they are good (white choc raspberry). I assume it's ok if I have during Induction (or at least because I am past day 14)?
2. SOmeone mentioned (I've been reading the posts for several weeks now) about it's ok to chew gum on Induction...ORBIT is lowest so far but I have some Trident and i see it's less than 1g carb per serving. you think it's ok to go ahead and chew either one?
3. How about celery and peanut butter? Without the PB jar in front of me I'm not sure of the carbs but it sure sounds like a nice change for a snack! THink it's ok to eat yet? (trying to incorporate other carb foods now that I'm past the 1st 14 days of Induction)
4. Are we supposed to take "days off?" I talk w/others who hear I'm doing lo carbs and they always ask "have you had your day off yet?" and I am not sure what they mean.
5. I am still fatigued after 2 weeks of lo carbing. From what I've read the fatigue should have only lasted a couple of days and I've yet to see that burst of energy I've heard happens to you after day 3 or 4. Anything I should be looking into to get some energy (supplements, or my food intake)?
6. I read that alo of lo-carbers are using DAVINCI syrups and also SPAG SQUASH...#1 where do I find the syrups and #2 anyone out there using the spag squash and care to share about it (is it good and does it really make a nice substitute for pasta)?

THANKS IN ADVANCE for any answers/advice you can share - I look forward to checking back here to see what y'all come up with!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 10:41

Plan: Atkins /NHE/CKD
Stats: 289/219/200 Male 5' 8"
BF:41%/20%/18%
Progress: 79%

During Induction you want to eat only "Real Food" period. The reason is if you add a bunch of "franken foods" you cannot tell how resistant to weight loss you are. Do two weeks of "clean"
induction. That gets your metabolism fired up. The Sugar alcohols will slow you down!
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=182859

Jag

Last edited by jagbender : Mon, May-17-04 at 10:49.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 11:25
& Dillion Doggie Do!

Plan: Atkins, Maintenance
Stats: 221/172/147 Female 5'6"
BF:Sizes over scale!
Progress: 66%

Welcome, and I bet you are happy you have passed induction! Yes you may have the bars now if you want. But I would not make a habbit of them. They can stall some people, so if you find you are haveing a problem futher down the road you know what to drop. The problem with sugar alcohols is that they now put large amounts in products. When in the past it was ok to subtract them all for a net count, now you would be better off keeping about 1/3 of the alcohol count into your daily count. So if there are 12grams sugar alcohol I would keep 3 of them onto my daily carb count. But if you use products with them as only as a treat now and then you would also be fine.
Me, they run right through! So I don't worry about any of them getting digested

I think celery and peanut butter would be a good snack. Myself I use cream cheese, not a big peanut butter freak. Unless its in a peanut butter cup

Are you suppost to take a day off? No. This is suppost to be a life style change. But we all do mess up once in a while. Some people swear by what they call a "refeed" day. Personally I think they just want to give themselves permission to cheat. I guess its a personal thing. I call it what it is when I do it. I have no problems getting back on program the next day, but if you do keep this in mind. Also it take 3 days for you body to get back into ketosis. So you have to decide it that treat you want is worth three days of progress.

I personally like spag squash, if you go to the recipe section you can find different ways to make it. Actually you can get a lot of great recipe there! And add in new meals will make this lifestyle much more interesting!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 11:30

Plan: LC BFL
Stats: 279/155/135 Female 5'5
BF:39/24/<20
Progress: 86%

the BFL allows u a free day, but thats mostly for people who are active in regular, vigorous activity. be careful with those bars- read the labels & figure out the net carbs yourself (carbs-fiber) some co's use carbs-sugar alcohol & its not accurate by any means. i wouldnt chew gum if u can avoid it. as far as being tired- eat more protien- drink more water. and if u like PB, try the skippy carb counters tastes just like the real thing
  #5   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 12:57

Plan: Atkins /NHE/CKD
Stats: 289/219/200 Male 5' 8"
BF:41%/20%/18%
Progress: 79%

Almond Butter is net 0 carbs.