Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, May-08-04, 12:22

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 432/370/220 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 29%
Default What A Ride !!!!

Well its been two weeks on Induction now...Wow...Dont know realy where to start...Ok ...First need to thank everyone on these Forums...Was ready to guit several times I felt so bad...but would read the forums and everyone said it would get better..."THANK YOU ALL"

Over the past 3 months I had let myself go realy bad Diabetes was rampant..I kept lying to myself (or realy didnt care) saying a lttle of this and that wont hurt to bad...yea right...was maxed out on oral meds...Liver and Kidneys were failing...Body totaly out of wack...no energy...felt like I was dying..lots of pain in my joints...Doctor wanted to put me on Insulin...another med to help my Kidneys...and one more for nerve damage in my feet...Dang just say no to pills Iam so tired of taking pills!!!!!now needles too...NO WAY

Anyway back to induction....I think what made it so hard for me was my Blood sugar dropping so fast....I tried to regulate my Medication but evidently not fast enough..on day 3... I was ready to pack it in I hurt and felt so bad(Dont ever grunt in pain it doesnt do any good...if it doesnt kill you just might get better)...I felt so bad that day I didnt eat much(Bad...bad...bad)...I checked my blood sugar after eating a little bit..It was at42 so it probably had been in the 30's before I ate...no wonder I felt like I was dying I probably was close to being there or in a coma...almost called 911...Than said nope Dying aint no big deal living like this is....Didnt want this not to work so instead of eating something with sugar....forced myself to eat a big salad to bump carbs and sugar levels up some guit meds for the day....Days 4 thru 10...monitored my BS about 10 times a day kept adjusting them stayed on 20 carbs or less....still felt awfull....on about day 11 I had cut my medications about 75% and my BS had stabalized in a good range for me 90-110....with no big spikes after meals....Than on around day 14 a funny thing happened...a lot of little nagging pains and bad feelings were not there anymore....It is hard to explain....Body pains I have delt with most of my life by using the no grunt rule....But the feeling of general well being is back..the nausea and gut pain...indejestion....heart burn...just feeling crappy is gone too...heck they were ready to yank my Gall Bladder out not to long ago...All that for now is gone....

I still feel weak at times and my stamina is not great but I feel like the improvements I have felt in just two weeks its just a matter of time...The only real problem I have now is sever swelling of my feet and lower legs for some reason it is bad as I ever have had it...Hopefully if I stay the course It will get better too...Plus I have lost 29lbs....WOOOOHOOOO...lol
Cant wait for the day that I can take my Boys to a Braves game again and fit in the damn seat....lol
Thanks again folks....Big John(soon to be Little John)
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, May-08-04, 12:33
Twinkle Toes

Stats: 300/280/150 Female 5 feet 1 inches
BF:
Progress: 13%

Great start there John, 29 lbs in 2 weeks, wow.

I'm hoping you'll find the answer to why your feet are swelling so, it might have something to do with your kidneys not functioning well enough, I think I'd have that checked pronto.

Could also be some of the meds you're still taking, they seem to fix one thing and screw up something else.

Take care, will be looking for your posts.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, May-08-04, 12:37

Stats: 229/229/180 Female 73"
BF:Mostly
Progress: 0%

John, you have done so well! As a nurse, I was cringing while reading about your low blood sugar, etc., and even more when you talked about pain as I'm a chronic pain person, and can really identify. Keep up the good work, your goal of taking your son to the game again is a great one!
  #4   ^
Old Sat, May-08-04, 13:56
~Return to Reality~

Plan: LCHF also RNY Bypass
Stats: 288.8/183.6/159 Female 5'7"
BF:I/don't/know
Progress: 81%

Hey John, it was scary but good to read about your progress. It's amazing what 2 weeks can do to turn around your life. Hang in there and don't ever forget those 2 weeks and what they did for you as you continue on this journey!!
  #5   ^
Old Sat, May-08-04, 14:05

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 395/380/165 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 7%

WTG! I'm glad to see things have gotten a little better. You're almost in the 300s! Keep up the great work... IT WILL GET BETTER.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, May-08-04, 14:45

Plan: Atkins (personal)
Stats: 233.9/221.8/135.0 Female 62 inches (5'2)
BF:
Progress: 12%

Hey John, congrats on the 29 pounds. But, most important, congrats on feeling better.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, May-08-04, 14:48
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 261/220/140 Female 5 feet, 6 inches
BF:62%/50%/25%
Progress: 34%

Congratulations! Welcome to your new way of eating!
  #8   ^
Old Sat, May-08-04, 17:48

Stats: 296/258/136 Female 5 ft. 6 in.
BF:Lots, definately
Progress: 24%

John, you have been through so much! It sounds like you are on a great path now, and I hope the sweilling your your legs and feet goes away soon too! Please keep us updated on your progress!
  #9   ^
Old Sat, May-08-04, 18:04

Plan: My own
Stats: 322/277/175 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 31%

Hi John,
That's wonderful that you have made such great progress in so short of a time! I know all about denial and the "don't care" feeling, and "saying a little of this and that won't hurt too bad". I am very proud of you for doing what you need to to help get your life back. You are doing a great thing for yourself and your family - improving your heath!

I hope your swelling eases up

Take care and keep strong!
Mary
  #10   ^
Old Sun, May-09-04, 06:18

Plan: LC BFL
Stats: 279/155/135 Female 5'5
BF:39/24/<20
Progress: 86%

congrats john! thats amazing. how much water are u drinking? drink more! that might help with the swelling- try cutting down on the salts, etc too. dont give up now- thats for sure. keep on truckin!

ps- usually the people in the bleacher seats are more fun anyways!
  #11   ^
Old Sun, May-09-04, 07:06

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 333/199.8/172 Female 5'8"
BF:??/39.0/25
Progress: 83%

Hi John, I'm so glad to hear of your progress in the weight loss and the feeling better. It's amazing how much difference the food we eat can make on how we feel. This way of eating just gets better and better. It won't be long till you can fit in the seats anywhere you go!

Congratulations!
  #12   ^
Old Sun, May-09-04, 09:54
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

It sounds like you have had quite a two weeks! I am sorry you still feel weak some of the time, but given the adjustments your body has made during the past couple of weeks, that is not surprising. My guess is that feeling will pass in a few more weeks and you will just feel great!