Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-14-04, 12:55
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 142/138/130 Female 5'5.5
BF:
Progress: 33%
Default Low cal and low carb

Does anyone know if there is a website that has both low carb and low cal recipes to try? Also, what type of low cal products does everyone buy. Snack idea's, types of mayo etc. Thank you! Oh, one more thing, I am getting soooo sick of eggs for breakfast, does anyone have any idea's.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-14-04, 13:02

Stats: 192/155/145 Female 5'6"
BF:31/26/20
Progress: 79%

Breakfast Ideas: Yogurt with flax meal granola, Cantaloupe with some splenda, cheese cubes, Breakfast muffins (brown 1lb sausage and crumle, mix 10 eggs with about 8-10oz of cheddar cheese, add the sausage....oil muffin pans really good. Fill each muffin pan with egg sausage mixture. Cook on 350 for 10-20mins untill brown...Yummy breakfast, lasts a week!!!)

Low cal products...Chicken....lean cuts of beef, pork chops....any veggie steamed. Salads, Salads...oh did I say salads. :-) Easy on the butter and easy on the cheese. Watch your portions....Raw veggies as snacks!
You don't have to eat the hungry man entre' for every meal!!!!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-14-04, 13:15

Plan: Atkins 72 Version
Stats: 175.5/123.5/115 Female 5'3 I grew an Inch!
BF:??/21%/19-20%
Progress: 86%

Don't go easy on the Butter, you want that! Well if it is real butter.
Use Mayo, Butter, Olive Oils, get that fat content up (healthy fats)
Left over dinners make awesome breakfasts
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-14-04, 16:44

Plan: Whatever works!
Stats: 245.5/235/140 Female 63
BF:Way too much
Progress: 10%

I like ham/swiss cheese rollups, easy to make, can be eaten in the car, on the run, in a minute! I get sick of eggs too

LL
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Apr-14-04, 16:50

Plan: South Beach-ish
Stats: 170/134/120 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 72%

I eat low carb yogurt every other day for breakfast and snacks. I've really been watching my calories lately because I find I dont lose if I dont watch them. The first month of Atkins, I ate alot of high fat/high caloric snacks and breakfast items. Switching to yogurt has been wonderful. Each cup (dannon) is 3 grams of carbs and 60 calories. I also snack on veggies instead of the high fat/calorie snacks and this has really,really helped with me lowering my daily calorie intake. Just make sure your getting enough fat, which I save for lunch and dinner, or use butter on my veggies and you'll be set! =)
Brittany
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Apr-14-04, 16:59
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:

#7   ^
Old Sat, Apr-17-04, 21:57

Plan: Atkins and lo cal
Stats: 238/158/145 Female 60 inches
BF:?/35%/25%
Progress: 86%
Lightbulb More breakfast ideas

Atkins pancakes (2) with cream cheese (2 oz.) and slivered almonds (about 100 cals worth) drizzle with atkins syrup and have some canadian bacon or a link of sausage. It's delicious.

Also, atkins crustless quiche - recipe is online and you can make it ahead of time and cut it up.

Chorizo and eggs are good with lo carb tortilla - good and spicy if you like spicy.

Deviled eggs are a good change of pace from regular eggs. Hard boil and mix centers with mayo and dijon mustard and salt and pepper.

Let me know if you try any
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Apr-17-04, 23:33

Stats: 229/205/170 Female 5'6"
BF:I have Body Fat!??
Progress: 41%

1/4 Cup of berries
1/4 Cup Fiber One
1/4 Cup Half-and-half
A bit of Splenda for sweetening

This is one of my all-time favorites, and makes a great first-thing-in-the-morning-I-can't-face-breakfast snack!

Favorite 500-calorie breakfasts:
2 eggs, scrambled
2 mushrooms, sauteed in 1 tbsp. butter
1 oz. cheese melted over the whole mess topped with
2 tbsp. salsa

I know you said you're tired of eggs, but this is one way I can eat them almost every day (although I don't).

Oh, and the mock Danishes! Those are great (albeit expensive to make!) The recipe's in the recipe forum.

French toast made with LC bread. Top this with a 'syrup' made of 1/4 Cup frozen berries (raspberries, strawberries or blackberries) mixed with 1/4 Cup half-and-half and a little Splenda for sweetening. If you want sugar-free syrup, I highly recommend Spring Tree brand. It has wonderful flavor and is very affordable at around $2.50 for a 24-ounce bottle. We use it infrequently, so a bottle lasts us quite a while.

I almost forgot! A great breakfast meat is ground turkey. I love this fixed like sausage patties! Even with just salt and pepper it tastes a lot like pork sausage (and is super cheap!). It's easier to make a real thin pattie that cooks fast. And if you're wanting to limit calories, this would be great, too, because I know you can buy it with more or less fat, depending on your needs.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Apr-18-04, 09:10

Stats: 190/145/125 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 69%

I would hate it if I had to watch my calories and my carbs. The whole thing I love about being on Atkins is not having to deprive myself... I've found that I can maintain and still lose (albeit very slowly on the loss thingie) eating the amount of carbs I'm currently eating without having to count calories. I expect if I would excercise it would even go a little more quickly. But I'm so fulfilled with this WOE as I'm doing it now that I'm just going to keep doing what I'm doing.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Apr-18-04, 09:39
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:

Well, for some of us we can't eat all we want on low carb and lose weight. I think Atkins even acknowledged that in his book. We gotta keep the calories lower too. That's probably why people are stalling out for months at a time. TMC! Too many calories. I know when I finally realized it wasn't working for me to eat 1800 calories a day or even 1600, it only took me the better part of a year to figure it out, I had to cut down. I really didn't want to crawl along at losing .01 pound per week. Once I get the weight off, then I'll look forward to maintaining on Atkins. I'm REAL good at maintaining!

On 1200-1400 calories I'm not hungry, don't feel deprived. I manage to make goodies, have low carb chocolate, a few nuts, low carb ice cream and still eat a very healthy diet. My choices are just a little lower calorie.

Here's some of the treats I have:

Italian Soda: Soda Water, Torani SF flavoring, cream -- This is incredibly filling. I keep the cream to about 1T or less. That means it is about 51 calories.

Low carb ice cream: 1/2 C is 130 calories

I make Good Seasonings Italian dressing, only use 1/2 the oil, the rest is water and I add some xanthum gum to thicken it.

Another favorite is, I buy low carb tortillas, guacamole, salsa, cheese. Then I grill up a bunch of meat I marinated in lemon juice, soy sauce and with mexican spices. I cut the meat up small. Then I make burritos. They're about 350 calories and one makes a nice meal. If you want to save about 50 calories, forget the tortilla and use a large lettuce leaf instead. But those tortillas pack a ton of fiber, which becomes even MORE important when you cut your calories because the bowels will become even more obstinant.

Another favorite is: Cream cheese and bacon sandwich on low carb bread. Comes in around 400 calories, but super satisfying. I use 2 ounches of cream cheese, a couple of slices of bacon. If I remember to do so, I'm going to switch to the lower fat cream cheese, if it does'nt add many carbs.

Then there's salads. I just make them meal sized, add a bit of cheese and toasted walnuts.

I love pork chops and chicken breasts. I like to marinate them in something then grill them. Those I take to work with a large helping of a frozen veggie and a pat of butter. I use frozen boneless, skinless chicken breasts. They're cheap.

A snack I find is super satisfying is the Carb Countdown milk. I bought some chocolate and its really nice. Tastes a bit like a chocolate shake. Its 100 calories per cup and is surprisingly filling and sticks with you.

For breakfast, I'm into Keto Banana Nut hot cereal at the moment. I don't recommend the plain Keto cereal, the texture is odd. I usually have 3 scoops of it, add a bit of splenda. That's about 225 calories. Sometimes I take a couple of bacon slices because that isn't a lot of calories and the extra protein helps keep you full.

I think I'm going to make a pumpkin pie today, which I use a LOT of eggs and some cream cheese in. Then I can take that to work for breakfast too. Basically its 15 ounces of pumpkin, 3 eggs, block of cream cheese, maybe some water or 1/2&1/2 to get the texture right. Spices and stuff, I look at the directions on the can. Then into the oven. I'd probably cut the pie in 1/6ths and I've got 6 breakfasts there. It's about 250 calories per slice, I believe.

Finally, one of my favorite desserts is a hot cup of Bengal spice tea, sweetened with a touch of splenda and a square of low carb, semi-sweet chocolate. OR! Another bowl of Keto cereal.

I don't feel deprived in the slightest.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Apr-18-04, 10:33

Plan: Undecided atm
Stats: 162/000/115 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 345%

If you don't have a problem with soy products then the veggie meats (although you have to watch the labels for ingredients) are high in protein, low in carbs and calories.

I typed a typical veggie day for me prior to being pregnant but added a chicken breast for the evening meal just to see what it might be for you subbing 2 veggie meals and this is what it came out to....

Calories Eaten Today
source grams cals %total
Total: 1202
Fat: 71 643 56%
Sat: 27 244 21%
Poly: 7 64 6%
Mono: 22 201 18%
Carbs: 41 97 8%
Fiber: 17 0 0%
Protein: 101 405 35%
Alcohol: 0 0 0
((24 net carbs for the day))

meals were as follows:
Breakfast:
1 soy sausage patty
2 egg whites fried in 1/2 TBL butter
2 cups cabbage just wilted in a hot skilled (or use pam)
1/2 cup of strawberry slices

Lunch:
8 med asparagus spears sauteed in 1/2 TBL butter
1 better than burger with a 1oz slice of muenster cheese melted over top
2 thick slices (1/2" of tomato) topped with 1 TBL Ken's Northern Italian dressing

Dinner:
1 small chicken breast (skin on) coated in 1/2 TBL olive oil, salt, pepper a shake of basil and 1 TBL shredded parmesan cheese
salad with 2 cups of romain lettuce, 1 hard boiled egg, 1 red pepper ring (1/4" thick) and 1 TBL of ken's northern italian dressing

Cup of herbal tea with 1 oz of heavy cream

I just don't see how people eating meat stay low calorie/ low-carb. The small chicken breast with skin was 330 calories. That was so much more than any other thing I typed in. Anyways goodluck trying to figure it out!

Jenn