Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-13-04, 17:46

Plan: Paleo-Neander
Stats: 178/173/125 Female 5.6 in.
BF:
Progress: 9%
Question 800 Calories a Day !!!!

Is it bad to eat lower than 1200 cals a day?, I am pushing myself to eat 1000, I come from very low calorie intake, I used to eat this past year around 600/800, (and as you can see, I was getting worst by the week), Now that I change the diet from Veggies to Atkins I am felling very "full", good feeling but on the other hand is becoming hard to get to 1200cals a day.

My question is: what do you know about “starvation mode”?, is it the same to everyone?, and if I was in Starvation Mode this past year, how long would it take for my body to re-boot, how many calories should I eat to be in the safe zone?, Any experiences in this subject from people that change from very restricted diets to Atkins? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-13-04, 17:56
I'm Losin' It

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 190.5/190.5/150 Female 5' 7"
BF:ha/ha/18%
Progress: 0%

Sorry cucu, I don't have an answer for you as I also have a very lo-calorie background. I will be following your thread to see what others have to say.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-13-04, 18:17
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Well, its hard to get very good nutrition on that few calories. I'd be a little concerned your metabolism might slow down. What do you mean you were getting "worst by the week"?

Starvation mode is just a theory, I think. I don't think you'll find any hard and fast facts about it.

I am kind of curious though, seems like eating so few calories, you'd lose a LOT of weight but I only see a weightloss of about 7 pounds.

As far as your system rebooting, I think our metabolism is linked to your muscle mass. If you were losing muscle mass because of your low calorie intake, you'd probably have to work out to get it back.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Apr-13-04, 19:01

BF:

I was around 115 to 120 pounds, I was into RawFood, doing JuiceFasts, Living in a community of only RawVegan food, I was happy until last year POOM, I start loosing my balance, feeling very dizzy, very ill in so many ways, after seen all kinds of doctors and nutritionists they say that my blood test were OK, no signs of any lack of nutrients. The only discrepancy was that I had very low LDL (cholesterol at 45).

So this past Year I was carefully writing down all I ate and exercise to feel better, but I start gaining weight by the week, even do I ate the same rawfood at 800 calories daily. Last week I went to an Endocrinologist and she suggested that my hormones went crazy, and maybe became very insulin Resistant.
So here I am doing this transition, trying to find out how many calories is good for the body in this diet?
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Apr-13-04, 19:20

Plan: IF & Paleo
Stats: 270/254/150 Female 68 inches
BF:--- too much!
Progress: 13%

Cucu, I'd work on healing your metabolism. I'd bet that it has slowed down after eating at 800 calories for an extended period of time. A good start is to eat 10 x your body weight - 1700 range. It could take a while for your weight loss to get going, but it will be worth it in the long run.

JM2C! Paris
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Apr-14-04, 08:17

Stats: 125/112/105
BF:
Progress: 65%

Cucu,
I switched to Atkins from a VERY low caloric intake. I was dieting too much, kept cutting back the calories and then realized I didn't want to eat that little forever and that it would catch up to me. It was scary but Ijumped right in to Atkins at about 1200 a day and did not gain.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Apr-14-04, 09:10

BF:
Talking Thanks..ˇˇ!!!

I pushed up my calories to1500 hundred yesterday and felt fine, thanks all for the info.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Apr-14-04, 09:53
Registered Member

Plan: general low carb
Stats: 174/150/125 Female 5 foot 3
BF:
Progress: 49%

I tried lowering my cals awhile back, sticking with a very lowfat and lowcarb diet. I didnt break past my stall but then again i only tried it for two weeks...
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Apr-14-04, 10:22
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/gastric bypass
Stats: 278/130/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 94%

I had starvation mode problem after gastric bypass because I couldn't eat. No you do not lose all the weight just with surgery!!! My hair fell out, I was dizzy. Now Im on Atkins to lose last 26 lbs and my Metab is a snail because it adjusted to the amount of food I could eat. I have to adjust the food portions obviously but I am losing slow. Up the calories and or carbs to no less than induction on Atkins. 20 Carbs. You might want to try some allowed dairy cottage cheese, with No sugar peaches to help up the calories. I like mandarin oranges on my salads also. Watch the sugar content. Adding fruit will get your carbs up quick. You go too low the body slows to save up for starvation (thanks a lot huh?) You will do no good lowering the calories further. Also I find if I have a treat meal or have a Sarah Lee cheesecake bite, it kicks in losing again.

Last edited by Hugaby : Wed, Apr-14-04 at 10:27.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Apr-14-04, 12:43

BF:
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugaby
Up the calories and or carbs to no less than induction on Atkins. 20 Carbs.

I hear you..!!! My plan now will be to exercise, push the calories up and 20 g. carbs in order to WAKE UP my body… I jumped in your Journal, it would be nice if you right some more about your experience all the way to 140.. Take care.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Apr-16-04, 00:18

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 325.4/228/175 Female 5'7
BF:mostly!
Progress: 65%

Heres a note for you to think about....several years ago I did a weight loss program that allowed only 700 calories a day, as did about 10 of my good friends. We lost weight, I went from a size 24 to a size 12, in a about 6 months,,,and everyone else on the program lost extreme amounts of weight also. But we all found ourselves very moody, depressed and not feeling well in genereal. Within one year, we had all gained back ALL the wieigh we had lost PLUS MORE! The doctor told me that I had almost destroyed my metabolism and hormonal balance, because my body was eating iself..muscle instead of fat. I have found it very hard to lose weight ever since then...and have recently learned that in order to repair my metabolism, I need to eat at least 1500 calories a day,,and to eat every couple of hours something,,,a piece of cheese, a small salad, cottage cheese, an egg,,,in order to keep my metabolism stoked like a small furnace, so that it keeps burning fat steadily. Since I have recently started Atkins, I try to eat near ten times my weight as he advises, and to eat often as my doctor suggests. I have been on the Atkins WOE for 12 days and have lost 17 pounds so far. so something is working. I have not been hungry or suffered from any cravings. I am very excited. So , up those calories, because if you dont, you will pay for it in the long run. I was 41 years old when I did the other plan, did it for almost a year. and I am 57 years old now and still feeling the effects of that other diet. Its not worth it,,,eat healthy!! And enjoy the trip!! The best to ya!! PS00dont ever skip breakfast!!! Get that fire burning so it will burn all day long!! Have a great day, hope this helps!
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Apr-16-04, 07:52

Stats: 175/138/135 Female 5'7"
BF:I did it!
Progress: 93%

But--on the other hand--I've seen a lot of advice that if you're not losing weight following the Atkins plan, you're probably getting too many calories and therefore need to lower them...

Six of one--half a dozen of the other...