Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-06-04, 07:32

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 384/142/135 Female 5 ' 5 1/2 "
BF:
Progress: 97%
Default Question about low carb candy?

We went to Wal*Mart yesterday to get Easter candy for the kids. I fouund some low carb candy, but I still have a hard time understanding things about this stuff. Here's my question - Ok, the front of the package says 3 grams net carb per serving, the back says - carbs 21 grams (7%) Fiber 2 grams (6%), so you subtract the fiber from the carbs which is 19 grams, but the front of the package says 3 grams?? I've noticed the low carb bars are like this too. So confusing! Oh, the sugar alcohol is 16 grams, I've heard that sugar alcohol is bad?? (These were Sweet'N Low Sugar Free Chocolate Wafer Bars, 3 to a serving, I ate one for now.)
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-06-04, 09:05

Plan: Low-Cal - good carbs
Stats: 235/229/150 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 7%

Some people don't count the sugar alcohols because some feel they do not effect blood sugar so should not be counted... there are experts on both sides of this issue.

I personally don't know much about sugar alcohols - the one time I have eaten a food with a significant amount, it made me so ill for two days that I avoided any food containing significant amounts since.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-06-04, 09:25

Plan: IF & Paleo
Stats: 270/254/150 Female 68 inches
BF:--- too much!
Progress: 13%

Hi!

This thread may help shed some light. I eat sugar alcohols very rarely if at all anymore (and I avoid malitol completely due to it's GI) but when I do I count at least 1/3 of the sugar alcohol grams in my carb count for the day.

HTH! Paris
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Apr-06-04, 12:58

Plan: Protein Power maintenance
Stats: 18/12/10 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress:

Song - I also have horrible GI problems but for me it mainly with candies which contain a high concentration. I eat cereals and SF Ice creams all the time and no GI problems at all yet one piece of candy can send me flying the rest room and make me sick for the rest of the day. My DD has a cast iron stomach and eat the candy without any problems. The also stall alot of people You have been doing so well, if you find you stop losing I would stay away from the candies.