Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-30-04, 19:30

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 205/191/140 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 22%
Default Too FEW Carbs??

I have been on induction for 3 1/2 weeks and have lost 10 lbs. I follow Atkins and eat as much "free" food as I want (meats and cheese) but dont go over 4 ounces of cheese a day- I'm not much of a vegetable eater so dont get all I should- I have stayed in ketosis (usually dark purple). My concern is I sometimes do get tired and was wondering if that was normal because my body is having to use the fat for fuel and I am losing so fast? I walk approx. 2 miles a day- Thanks, Connie
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-30-04, 19:38

Plan: Atkins 72 Version
Stats: 175.5/123.5/115 Female 5'3 I grew an Inch!
BF:??/21%/19-20%
Progress: 86%

The Atkins original book printed in 1972 is really low in carbs for a week or two, gradually adding in veggies and raising the carb level. Nothing is wrong with starting that low, even though people will tell you there is. Just make sure you do add veggies in and until then you are taking vitamins
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Mar-30-04, 20:32
overeasy

Plan: No grains/sugar/alcohol
Stats: 221/175.4/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 75%

I have found that when I do get tired, it's because I have not gotten up to 20 carbs a day, but have gone below. I felt this way at the beginning of induction, especially the days I was exercising. I then made sure, to up my veggie intake, to get my carb level to at least 20. I actually lose better on 25-30 carbs myself, so even better.

melissa
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-31-04, 23:51

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 213/141/150 Female 5'4 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 114%

As long as you are eating at least 3 cups veggies per day you are getting enough carbs. You don't have to be getting 20. However, if you are eating 3 cups and are feeling these symptoms, you might consider adding some more. If you're not getting 3 cups of veggies start eating them NOW. Those 3 cups of veggies are VERY important and since this is a change in lifestyle you might as well get used to eating them now.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Apr-01-04, 08:38

Plan: atkins
Stats: 225/202/125 Female 66in
BF:
Progress: 23%

Hey guys! I'm curious about something that has happened to me a couple of times. When I have cheated (i mean a bite or two of mac and cheese or a couple SMALL bites of a doughnut) a day or two later i have lost a lb. These were both times when i was stuck at a certain weight. I'm wondering if maybe i should add a few more carbs, of course not mac and cheese or doughnuts, but maybe some more veggies? Does this happen to anyone else or is it just coinky dink in my case.
Any advice is appreciated!
bran
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Apr-01-04, 08:59

Plan: Undecided atm
Stats: 162/000/115 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 345%

I lost better when I moved to OWL. I think when I was induction phase I was starving myself and my calorie intake was way too low. When I added more foods and started getting over 20 carbs a day I lost better. You might be experiencing the same thing perhaps. If you aren't using fitday I would suggest you use it for a few days to see if maybe your calories are too low.

Jenn