Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Mar-24-04, 06:00

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 245/195/170 Male 5 10
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Colorado gets a taste of low-carb Coors brew

Colorado gets a taste of low-carb Coors brew
By Steve Raabe
Denver Post Business Writer

Wednesday, March 24, 2004 -

Aspen Edge, the new low-carbohydrate beer from Coors Brewing Co., will hit Colorado store shelves this week.

On the heels of the enormous success of Anheuser-Busch's Michelob Ultra low-carb beer, Coors launched Aspen Edge earlier this month in 11 states. This week's rollout will include Colorado and 15 more states.

Analysts said Coors is late to the low-carb competition and that Coors Light, the second- most-popular light beer in the country, has lost market share to low-carb competitors.

The question for Coors is whether Aspen Edge will take customers away from Coors Light, said Eric Shepard, executive editor of Beer Marketer's Insights.

"Low-carb will cannibalize light-beer sales, and that's a serious risk for Coors," Shepard said.

Aspen Edge is expected to begin selling today in larger Denver-area liquor stores, with smaller stores taking delivery later this week.

Coors officials declined to comment on the Colorado rollout, which will be formally announced Friday.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Mar-24-04, 14:19
There and Back Again

Stats: 200/194.4/140 Female 5'3"
BF:42%/42%/20%
Progress: 9%
Default Will have to sample it.

Interesting. I was wondering when they would jump on the bandwagon.

I tried Rolling Rock Green Light which isn't too bad if you like a more flavorful beer. I don't mind Mich Ultra, either.

Since this is my neck of the woods, I'll have to go look for it soon.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-24-04, 23:50
Registered Member

Stats: 280/203/200 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%

I've got 18 bottles of Aspen in my fridge and 6 in the trash. (Hockey night - Stars 4, Oilers 3 in OT - Go Stars! - they just made the playoffs!)

Aspen is cleaner (in the Coors fashion) than Ultra, and has both less taste and fewer off-taste notes. Not a great beer, but a good low-carb choice, and a fine quaffing brew.

Given the recent nasty comments that Anhauser-Busch has made about low-carb diets, my affair with their slutty Ultra is just about over, and I'm now courting Aspen.