Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Mar-06-04, 05:30

Plan: MINE
Stats: 143/112.4/119 Female 162cms (63+inches)
BF:35/?/20
Progress: 127%
Default Cold chills and pain ful bowel region (especially on right hand side)

I went to a two day workshop. The hall was very cold but at least we had the outside sun the first day to thaw out in when we had breaks. The second day I wore more clothes but it was even colder and very cloudy outside with a cold breeze. We all got very cold but I was shivering by the end of the day. Lunch I also had wheat which I don't usually have (couldn't find my especially catered meal). I was severely bloated within about half an hour of having the bread. By the end of the day and last night I was feeling quite sick.

I wore so much to bed, with heavy quilt and a thick blanket (it is autumn here so it is not exactly freezing). I am still having the cold chills today but not as bad (though worse tonight). I am still wearing a lot of layers of clothes. My stomach is so sore and bloated especially on the lower right side.

A similiar thing happened last year after getting cold at a one day symposium. I went down hill after lunch and was doubled over with pain in the ladies toilets. I was so sick that night and was admitted to hospital the next day with suspected apendicitis. I was on a drip with nil by mouth for almost two days. I had lots of tests but they could not find anything wrong apart from a lot of flatulence when I had the ultrasound and showing a mild fever and raised white blood cells in the blood test.

I was so weak and still in pain when I left hospital. Although I improved it took a few weeks. They thought I might have a grumbly appendix. I also was very constipated while in hospital ( which is unusual for me). I took glycerin suppositories which fixed that and I also did the same today. Although I hadn't been for a few days (unusual), the stools were not hard.

My husband reckons it is due to stress (I was stressed last year, was servere low carb plus had to drive 4 hours to conference). This year it was local and although I was a bit stressed because I thought I should have been home studying instead the workshop was a lot of fun and generally quite relaxed.

Has anyone had anything similiar happen to them. It is awful and I would like to avoid it in future.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-20-04, 18:23

Plan: Adkins
Stats: 140/128/125 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default PID Diagnosis

I, too had these symptoms last year after doing Adkins for four months, losing 30 pounds and reaching my goal weight. I doubled over one day at work, feeling bloated, gassy, nauseated, and unable to stand. My right hip bone felt too tight to stand up straight. My Dr. thought it was appendicitis or an ovarian cyst, but after a pelvic exam (during which the pain was extreme) he dianosed me with PID (pelvic inflammatory disease, usually the result of an undiagnosed STD left untreated.) I have been tested for STDs in the past, and have been in a monogamous relationship for eight years, so that could not be my case. I didn't believe the diagnosis, but took the antibiotics for the full course, and I did not have the problem again. I went off Adkins after I'd reached my goal weight (and gained it all back, go figure.) So here I am, trying Adkins again, and I'm having the same symptoms again. This time, I'm thinking it's yeast die-off or overgrowth due to my change in eating habits again. Thank God the pain isn't near as severe as last year.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-20-04, 18:53

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 246/198/150 Female 62inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

Get thee to a doctor-just because it wasn't appendicitis once doesn't mean it isnt now.
That wheat might be a good clue if you have been grain free it might hit you harder then before. IBS can hit like that.
Anyway I'm sorry you feel lousy-nothing good should hurt that much. Take care.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Apr-20-04, 22:27

Plan: MINE
Stats: 143/112.4/119 Female 162cms (63+inches)
BF:35/?/20
Progress: 127%

Hi, I hope you are feeling better now. I had been on Atkins for a while when I had my symptoms both times. I finally worked out the last time that I had got a tummy wog. Maybe that is also what I had the first time around. The Doctors were totally baffled though!