Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Sep-10-04, 10:22

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 170/166.5/150 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 18%
Talking The pee question (yeah, I know)

Ok, I'm not trying to weird anyone out, but I have a question about my urine. I drink a ton of water (8-10 glasses/day), including a diet coke every day. Still, even after chugging 3 glasses my pee is still bright yellow. This seems odd to me... Now, I do take Essential Oils (Omega fatty acids, fish oil, etc) and I've heard this can do that... Do you think that's the case, or do you think it could be something else? Just wondering, I'm not concerned about it too much. Thanks (and sorry)!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Sep-10-04, 10:25

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 155/108/110 Female 64 inches
BF:33%/25%/22%
Progress: 104%

Are you taking vitamin C too? That'll give you Day-Glo pee.

I think it must be your supplements. It can't be dehydration, since you are drinking a lot (and peeing a lot too, I suppose).

If you have to be sure, you could try going without your supplements for a day or so and seeing if your urine "clears up."

Lucy
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Sep-10-04, 10:27
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%

8-10 glasses of water isn't alot. How big is each glass?
I have to drink 3-4 liters of water before my pee goes remotely clear. Vitamins do color as well as some foods. Spinach for example
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Sep-10-04, 10:29

Plan: LF/LC
Stats: 254/191.5/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 60%

Vitamin B also makes you have day glo urine. I too take supplements daily. It takes about 60 ounces of water and several "pees" for my urine to be lighter.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Sep-10-04, 10:31

Plan: 1
Stats: 110/110/110 Female 111
BF:
Progress: 74%
Default I could easily be wrong

When I was on Meridia I asked the doctor the same thing. His response was the fat has to go somewhere. I asked if that meant I was passing fats and he said yes. Now I could be completely wrong so be nice ! Also, when my BM's changed he said the same thing. Has anyone had their doctor tell them this? It might be worth someone with medical insurance calling their doctor's nurse and asking just this question! I do know when my stuff is yellow my weight goes down. Could be completely wrong, but if I am I can blame it on my doctor. Can't call him now because my insurance expired September 1st! Also, I have bad allergies, and have noticed that when I am losing weight my pores put out a yucky flower smell! Drives me crazy!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Sep-10-04, 10:36

Plan: Atkins-like
Stats: 215/170/170 Male 70
BF:
Progress: 100%

By any chance, do you live near a nuclear reactor? Hehe. I know, if you can't say something nice,...

One thought, when I think of yellow in an aqueous solution, I think of nitrates. Could be that because of a high protein intake, you are getting rid of a lot of nitrogen compounds. Don't know, I eat a lot of meat myself and when I drink water I pee clear.

Why am I telling a stranger about my pee color? Low carb makes you do some STRANGE stuff I tell ya. Including thinking out loud. Wait, can you hear that? Oops.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Sep-10-04, 11:13
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 208/179/170 Male 67 inches
BF:a whole bunch
Progress: 76%

hey there i also have pee that color, and i drink at least 15 or more 8 oz glasses of water a day, it just started this week, im not sure what it is, but as long as im drinking i feel ok about it
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Sep-10-04, 11:26
Finding Balance

Plan: Atkins/PP Maint, IF24/24
Stats: 162/123/120 Female 63.5 inches
BF:~50%/23.9%/20%
Progress: 93%

I take supplements as well; C, B-complex, Fish oil and Flaxseed oil, among others. My pee is very yellow early in the day, but it gets lighter as the day goes on and I drink more water. I drink, on average, 13-16 8oz glasses of water a day (or 1.5-2L).
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Sep-10-04, 11:32

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 170/166.5/150 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 18%

No, I don't live near a nuclear reactor... Ok, so before I started taking my omega vitamins my pee was clear (after some water that is), but after I added those and my potassium pill it always stayed bright yellow, regardless of how much water I drank. I figure it's one of those causing it. Like I said before, I'm not too concerned about it - I know I'm not dehydrated, etc (I drink 8-10 8 ounce glasses of water/day, for someone who had asked).

And I HOPE it's just fat. (c; However, no weight loss in the last month or so (I keep going to 145, then 144... 145... 144... etc.). But, in the move (just got a new house a month ago) my tape measure mysteriously disappeared, so I could have lost inches. Who knows (my pants are so huge right now that I wouldn't be able to tell).

Anyway, just wanted to see if anyone had had a similar experience w/ the Essential Oils vitamins - I *think* I heard that somewhere, sometime... in a galaxy far, far away... I hope that doesn't mean I'm just peeing out all of the vitamins!
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Sep-10-04, 11:37

Plan: Atkins-like
Stats: 215/170/170 Male 70
BF:
Progress: 100%

The related thread listed at the bottom of this page, would indicate that you are not alone.