Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Mar-13-04, 20:27

Plan: Atkins maintenance
Stats: 145/108/112 Female 5'6
BF:pregnantEDD5/12/05
Progress: 112%
Wink Just want to say hello!

Hello!

I thought I would pop in to introduce myself to you all. Monday, will be my first day of BFL. The plan is to stick to Atkins while doing BFL. I don't seem to have a problem with energy while staying low-carb. I have been doing 1 hour of cardio every other day and light weight training on opposite days (with one free day). It is frusrating to be stuck in a rut. When I was at Goodwill the other day, I saw the BFL book and decided for $1.99, what would be the harm in picking it up. WOW! Glad I did. It really seems to be a great way to build muscle and lose fat. Hopefully I will be able to do well on this program. I am really excited to get started...and cannot wait to drop the 1 hour cardio every other day! Does anyone see any problem with me doing a moderate cardio day (for 25 min.) on my 'free day'? I have a really good butt toning exercise I would hate to cut out.

I have been reading all of the info I can find about mixing low carb and BFL...can't find any other good sites. You all seem so helpful and friendly! Surely we will become good friends!

Tomorrow I will have to have my before photos taken and my measurements so I can have solid proof of my progress. Does anyone have any good websites to plug in stats?

Okay, enough rambling!

Thanks for reading my post.

Until Monday!!!!

~*Shannon*~
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Mar-14-04, 17:07

Plan: The Primal Blueprint
Stats: 148/119/120 Female 66 inches
BF:29%/14/12%
Progress: 104%

Hi Shannon!

Welcome to the forum! I hope you enjoy the BFL workouts. The 20MAS is great - I can easily go to the gym on the mornings I work and still make it on time. The weight training really encourages you to push yourself instead of sticking with wimpy girl weights. I dropped over 2 percentage points in body fat just in the first 4 weeks.

Please don't get discouraged if you gain weight - it will almost certainly be muscle. You are already underweight for your height so don't worry about it. Also you will probably have to add more carbs even if you stick to the Atkins WOE since you will need more fuel to complete these very strenuous workouts. I am following the BFL style of eating, but many people on the forum have successfully combined Atkins and BFL.

How old is your baby? I have 2 daughters ages 2-1/2 and 5. I initially lost my baby weight following the Zone, then switched to Schwarzbein Principle for maintenence (although I could never eat that perfect), and I'm now doing BFL (obviously!) to get a leaner more muscular body. I hope you'll keep us posted. We do weekly check-ins (Thanks Arnie!) to update everyone on how we're doing. I just finished week 9 and to be honest am looking forward to taking a week off after this challenge!

Jen
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Mar-14-04, 23:31

Default Thanks!

Thank you so much for the warm welcome!!

The tips you gave are great!!

Yes!! I am tired of using baby-little-girl weights!! I have been using stinkin' 7 lbs weights because I don't have any higher ones. My husband has offered to stay late at work (and watch the baby) in order for me to use the wieghts/machines at his work. WOOHOO!!

I would actually welcome some added lbs. I don't look muscular at all, even though i work out hard every day. I am hoping the right kind of weight gain will help me look lean and more muscular.

My baby is 13 months old, and keeps me quite busy during the day. I am a SAHM, but was a elem. P.E. teacher before I had my son. I used Atkins throughout my pregnancy (with added carbs in the form of fruit and veggies) and to lose the pregnancy weight. When I started I only wanted to be my prepregnancy weight, (117-120) but with nursing full-time, I found the pounds really melted away.

I will def. be stopping by for weekly updates and look forward to hearing how everyone else is doing!!!

~*Shannon*~
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Mar-14-04, 23:56
Contributing Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 186/160/160 Male 68 inches
BF:?%/15%/10%
Progress: 100%

Hi Shannon,

Welcome! I hope you enjoy doing BFL as much as I do. If you do then that will be the best $1.99 you ever spent. I recently switced to the BFL diet from Atkin's just to give it a try and see what happens. But I did two challenges on the Atkins diet, so I'm sure you can do it.

I don't think that doing some moderate cardio on your freeday should be a problem. Today was my freeday and I was thinking about playing some tennis (didn't make it though). I don't think Bill would want us to stop other activities we enjoy because of BFL.

Good luck with week one. Let us know how its going and feel free to ask any questions.

Arnie
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Mar-15-04, 01:02

Hello Arnie!! I am so inspired by your journey!!! You are amazing!!!

I have downloaded all on the sheets I need to keep up-to-date with my progress. WOW! Didn't realize how hard it was going to be, eating 6 meals per day! My mind was spinning trying to think up ideas. I will def. have to get up early in the morning in order to fit all of these meals in. Usually, I wake up when my son does. Oh well, I will just train my body to get up at 5:30 am so I can do my cardio before my hubby leaves for work (so he can stay with our son).

Yeah...great start I am getting...it is already 2:13 am and I have not gone to bed yet. Too much interesting info to read up about!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Mar-15-04, 18:56
Contributing Member

Hi Shannon,

Thanks for the compliment, but I must admit I'm not feeling very amazing right now. It's been a couple months since the end of C2 and things kind of went downhill for me. Right now my weight is the same as it was at the end of C2 but my body fat % is way higher and my belly is hanging over my belt again. So when I looked in the mirror this morning I got a little depressed. But this afternoon I had a real good LBWO, so I'm feeling a lot better now and hey, I know what to do about that belly and I'm doing it, so onwards we go.

Eating 6 meals a day is hard for everyone at first, but you'll get used to it. You will also find little tricks along the way to make it easier. Like when I make my lunch I make enough for two three days, so that I'm not always prepping meals.

It's great that your hubby is supportive of your efforts. My wife just finished her second challenge. Trish posts here occasionally, but not often.

Hope you had a good first day of BFL,
Arnie
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Mar-15-04, 19:54

Default I made it through my first day!

Well,

I made it through a whole day on target! REALLY shocked at how beat I am. My arms feel like dead weight!! it is a wonderful feeling though!! What a rush I had in the middle of my workout...felt like I could go on forever. Of course, on my last few sets, I thought I would die before finding the strength to complete the workout. My husband actually agreed to come with me and help me set up the weights and also for moral support. he was so sweet and I doubt I would have done so well, if he had not been there. I had a little chuckle when my husband said, "I am impressed with your workout. 30 reps in 46 min. is tough on the body. The most I do now, is 24-25, and I feel dead afterwards." he is doing some European-style weightlifting training, but has had great results so he refuses to change. Maybe he will change his mind when he sees my results...LOL!

Arnie,

Your wife does BFL also? WOW!!! You two can motivate each other!!! What a blessing!!! What made you both decide to try BFL?

It's okay to slip up, just as long as you get right back up!!! Nice to know you have the right answers and a good program to get in great shape!! Some people search and search and make tons of effort with no real results!

Is there a buddy group for those doing BFL to keep in contact daily, or do you just check-in once a week?
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Mar-16-04, 16:25
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed
Well,

Arnie,

Your wife does BFL also? WOW!!! You two can motivate each other!!! What a blessing!!! What made you both decide to try BFL?

Trish decided to try it after I finished my first challenge. It has been great, she is very dedicated and really has helped to keep me motivated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed
Is there a buddy group for those doing BFL to keep in contact daily, or do you just check-in once a week?

I guess this is the buddy group, just post away. There hasn't been all that much trafic it here, it would be nice if there were more.

Arnie