Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 19:48
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%
Default high fat treats

Young children need high fat for brain growth. I try to moderate thier fat and carbs and not give them severly low on either.

Tonight for dessert they tried a new concoction and loved it. It has sour cream, cream cheese, natural peanut butter and coconut cream. Now there is something to make a low fat dieter or nutritionalist faint. It's high fat, but it also has protien and a good wallop of calcium. I'm not seeing the problem
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 21:12

Plan: IF & Paleo
Stats: 270/254/150 Female 68 inches
BF:--- too much!
Progress: 13%

Now that is much better for a kid than a Snickers. Way to go Mama Belle!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 23:17
Registered Member

Plan: ckd 24 hr carb up
Stats: 240/234/? Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 5%

tell us what you made! I have three that I'm planning to pretty much put on the eating plan. Right now they're finishing up the junk in the house (I just can't waste the food) and as it's gone, I'm not buying anymore. No more crackers, fruit roll ups, and no more juice! I'm still giving them things like oatmeal (cause that is a good food....and pretty low on the glycemic index) and fruits and milk. But I plan to get rid of bad breads and snacks and desserts. They really like some of the stuff I've been making, but I'm always looking for new ideas to keep them happy! We did some great lc peanut butter cookies tonight (only 1.7 carbs a cookie).....but they were a little too crumbly. I'm researching on how to fix that.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Mar-12-04, 10:46
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Depending on thier ages you might want to start them at a higher level, maybe check out Atkins for life.

For that dessert all I did was throw those ingredients together. I had the sour cream out since I was having fajitas, so I added some cream cheese, then the coconut cream (it's more the thickness of cream cheese then dairy cream) and added some peanut butter. The kids liked it. Then my daughter polished of the coconut cream. For a LC high fat treat good coconut can be great. Get a small bag of the unsweetened coconut from www.wildernessfamilnaturals.com it is so sweet it's just like candy, but has no sugars. Much better then store bought. I also got the cream from that site, and my coconut oil. The cream I mostly got for cooking. The kids like it, but it is far to rich for me

Mine are easier ebcause they are young. At least the baby is, the 4 year old though is a pain when it comes to veggies. During the summer we keep a basket of fresh fruit on the table, then when my son wants a snack he can ask, then grab himself soemthing. Right now blueberries and strawberries were on sell so we have those on the table. Both kids think a handfull of blueberreis is a great dessert. My daughter is still a baby, so she can b convinced to eat veggies and doesn't mind green beans as a snack. I just hope that stays with her. My son will on rare occasions get a pria bar. They are very low in sugars compaired to other bars (I'm talking the regular Pria, not the new LC ones) and they also don't have anythinglike sugar alcohols to upset his tummy. We save those for times we are rushign out the door and he claims starvation.

I get the iron kids bread for them because it's higher in fiber then most, and is fortified, so peanut butter samwiches are another good snack. Sometiems we'll put it on an Lc tortilla and make a peanut butter roll up. Nuts such as peanuts can also be a good snack.

They also get the occasional snacks such as cookies and what not. Since I don't forbid them, they aren't as enticing. My son can take 3 bites of a cookie, announce he's done, and throw the rest away. They both love hitting the free samples in the bakery when we go to walmart