Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-03, 18:32
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240/180/155 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 71%
Lightbulb CLA, anyone taking it?

I have started to read good things about CLA, and would like some feedback. I also take EFA, but am considering CLA. Anyone want to convince me? TIA!
Juniper
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-03, 18:41

Stats: 155/147/143 Female 66 in
BF:
Progress: 67%

Hey!

I was taking CLA, Tonalin brand(twice the price, but twice the potency of the generic type). I was taking "ThinFat". I ran out and started taking Udo's Oil, and I feel a difference. I want my Tonalin back

I really think it helped stabilize my weight, even if I ate too many carbs over a few days. That's supposed to be a benefit. Some other women I know have said it helps with cramps, but I haven't experienced that first-hand. If I were you, I'd try it. It can't hurt, right? Generally, I feel better, my immune system has been workign more efficiently, etc.

If you have more specific questions, I'll try to anwer them.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-03, 18:48

Plan: CAD
Stats: 171/146.0/133 Female 5'4" and 1/4
BF:
Progress: 66%

I take it, the Tonalin brand, but I got lazy and only take one capsule per day instead of the three. I think just by eating more organic dairy I've increased my intake of CLA naturally. But anyway, I'm not sure that I can really "tell" a difference...maybe I should try taking the normal dose again now that I've started this WOE and see if it makes a difference...
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-03, 19:01
Registered Member

Stats: 165/130/120 Female 5ft 7in.
BF:
Progress:

What is CLA and what does it do for you?
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-03, 19:40
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

I took it for about a month and really didn't see any difference. IMO it wasn't worth the money, but "your mileage may vary"...
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-03, 20:12

Stats: 220/182.5/145 Female 63 inches
BF:alot!
Progress: 50%
Default Just Started!

After reading some of the information I decided to try CLA (conjugated lineic acid??)... it is supposed to help develop more lean muscle and held get rid of fat. Some studies support this.

I asked at the local health food store...owner said many people take it with good results. The dosage on my bottle (1000 mg) said 1-2 per day, but owner told me 3000 mg per day is for weight maintenance, and for weight loss 4000-6000 mg per day is recommended.

I have upped my dosage to 4 pills per day, however, it is too soon to see if it is working but I am optimistic....this is the first time I have LOST weight while TOM is around! very weird!

Also wondering what others are experiencing and what dosage they are taking? (I have almost finished my first small trial bottle and will be visiting the supplement stores to get more this weekend!).

Froufie

P.S. I am also taking a great multi vitamin (3x per day) along with calcium (650 mg) potassium (99), chromium piccolinate (200 mcg), EFA, and CoQ10 (80 mg).

P.P.S....added bonus, it seems to me ever since I started taking the CLA (last week) I have been more "regular" than before

Last edited by Froufie : Wed, Jul-23-03 at 20:15.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-03, 09:26

Stats: 155/147/143 Female 66 in
BF:
Progress: 67%

I was taking the liquid Tonalin, not capsules. Perhaps that's why I noticed a difference, compared to some other people - your body will abasorb more of it in a liquid form
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jul-27-03, 09:28

Some additional info on CLA (and other supplements) can be found at:
http://health.yahoo.com/search/miav...=s&p=id%3A37926

Also some great reviews on supplements at: http://www.ultimatefatburner.com/

I just bought some more CLA....the "tonalin" kind.....more expensive but I understand it is more absorable!

Froufie
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jul-27-03, 09:50

Plan: Lyle Style FD
Stats: 143/124.5/123 Female 5 ft 4 in
BF:24.8%
Progress: 93%

I started taking 4000 mg of CLA (Tonalin) about a week and a half ago. I think it will work best at building lean muscleand eliminating fat more efficiently with resistance/weight training. My trainer at the gym said some of the body builders at the gym have had success with it. I haven't lost any significant weight since starting it, but last night my partner mentioned that I was getting leaner.

I've increased my workout intensity over the last two weeks also, and I have noticed that I am able to increase weights more rapidly - every couple of workouts instead of every couple of weeks - than I have in the past.

I'll let you know if I start noticing any difference in the next couple of weeks.

Joan
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jul-27-03, 10:05

Plan: atkins
Stats: 198/172/163 Female 69.5
BF:28.5%/25.3%/23%
Progress: 74%

In my humble opinion, Tonalin doesn't do a thing. A big wwaste of money in my book. I think I used 4-6 bottles worth and I think I gained.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Feb-07-04, 18:58

Stats: 182/147/145 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 95%

Hi Everyone,

Just wondering if any of you has changed your opinion of CLA since last July.

judy
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Feb-08-04, 10:24

Plan: Lyle Style FD
Stats: 143/124.5/123 Female 5 ft 4 in
BF:24.8%
Progress: 93%

I'm still taking 3000 mg/day (3 doses) and have been working out sporadically (50+hour/week teaching job). My partner still says I'm looking better and better, although I have not lost significant amounts of weight - I'm maintaining right now and will kick up weight loss closer to summer.

I'm planning on continuing it if only for the cardiovascular benefits.

Joan
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Feb-08-04, 20:38

Stats: 182/147/145 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 95%

Thanks, Joan.

judy
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-04, 12:33

Stats: 170/140/130 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%
Default Cla

I was taking a liquid supplement (think it was called Body Success) that contained Tonalin CLA and I thought it was helping, but now have been unable to find it anymore...or any other liquid CLA. Anyone know of any sources for it? Or any reasonably priced soft gels? Most I've seen are way pricey, especially if you have to take 3-4 a day!

Last edited by katlynweb : Mon, Feb-09-04 at 12:36.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-04, 15:25

I'm still taking it - just used to it I guess? I do think it helps. It is expensive tho - look for sales - found a two pack for about $60 instead of the usual $45 each!

Froufie