Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-04, 22:52
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 140/142/130 Female 5'7
BF:22%/21%/16%
Progress:
Exclamation DESPERATE: Plese help me get into KETO

Spring is coming quick!! Please look at my typical eating and see what's wrong. I can't get into keto. Ive been trying for about 2 weeks. Ive been testing it on the keto sticks and just a small trace is there... I think there might not even be a trace, I am just going crazy
BTW, I have read the dr atkins book and have also researched insulin and ketosis ...... I know I should have under 20g carbs / day

typical foods:
am - eggs and sausage or bacon. (? wondering if the sausage could have dextrose - got it at the butcher so could not check for carbs)

snack on cheese strings (0.3 c / string), havarti cheese, cheddar, cucumber in vinegar, hotdogs - with mustard on the side (0.4/ dog), SF jello, pepperettes (thinking these are no good!), decaff coffee with splenda (1g/ sacket)

I was eating a lot of ceasar salad with only about .4g carbs in the dressing, with simulated bacon bits (are these a no no??) and parmesan cheese... (did take that out 3 days ago and not seeing ketosis)

also eating a lot of chicken breast, salami, and beef jerky

I am still chewing gum!! could that be costing me? and also maybe too much aspartame or splenda?? how much can I have??

Can someone give me a sample meal plan of what they eat in the induction period? I would appreciate it soo very much!
Thnks so much everyone!
Prana
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-04, 23:02

Plan: Low GI
Stats: 370/170/170 Male 6'1
BF:10%
Progress: 100%

SF Jello always seems to slow my metabolism down, also the jerky contains a ton of salt.. as well as the sausage i would imagine. Get the REAL bacon bits, not those nasty fake ones.. the real ones would be much better and lower carb i would assume.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-04, 23:06

Stats: 250/248/160 Female 5'4
BF:BigBallaFat
Progress: 2%

How much coffee are you drinking a day? Coffee does have some carbs, though I'm not sure how many a cup. Also, each packet of spelnda adds 1 g of carbs because of the bulking agent, so watch that.
How many strings and slices of cheese are you eating a day, 1 slice = 1 g carbs and too much cheese (any cheese for some) will cause your weight loss to stall.
You say you are eating a LOT of salad. Just because salad is allowed, you still have to count the carbs in the lettuce, tomatoes, etc. Don't go too overboard with salad. The fake bacon stuff is made from soy and is about 1 or 2 g per tbsp. It's not gonna hurt your weight loss but it would be better to buy the real bacon pieces they sell. I get the oscar mayer brand and it's super. They sell it along side the bacos.
Watch it with the pepperoni and salami, processed meats have added sugar sometimes to cure the meat. Beef jerky sometimes has added sugar, ie. teriyaki flavor, so be sure to read the label.
Aspartame never affected my weight loss, but I can't say for sure it won't affect yours. I wouldn't include it in your list of worries, however.
I chew a piece or two of sugarfree trident everyday. I usually count 1 g per slice, because the sugar alcohols affect me just like sugar does.
Make sure you are getting plenty of calories and fat.
DRINK LOTS OF WATER!
Other than these suggestions, I can't come up with any other ideas.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-04, 23:14
Registered Member

Progress:

Thanks for the replies.
Froggie, could you please list what you eat in a typical day? (in induction)
Thanks
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-04, 23:21
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach/Atkins
Stats: 183/169/145 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 37%

My advice would be to throw the strips away. I've heard from too many people that they are inaccurate. The reading can change depending on how much fluid is in your system, what and how much you've eaten recently, and other things. If they are showing even a trace and are eating under 20 a day then you are probably in ketosis. If you haven't lost weight it could just be that you lose really slowly. I only lose 1/2 to 1 lb a week - at best - even in strict induction. Also, the closer you are to your healthy weight, the slower it will come off. It could be that you aren't doing anything wrong, but rather that you just need to be patient. (I know that's hard - I have to remind myself everyday.)
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Feb-26-04, 06:56
Registered Member

Progress:

Emly thankyou for the reply. I have never heard that the keto stricks may be incorrect. unfortunately once I had no keto for 4 days I ate carbs like an idiot!!!!!!! Now I am definately OUT> I'm plannin on trying again, maybe a carb depletion workout and less processed foods. Yes I am close to my ideal weight. 5'7 and 140lbs. Just want to be leaner. Thanks everyone.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Feb-26-04, 07:11

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 240/224/199 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 39%

Atkins has what is called a Fat Fast....I've included it below...I've done a modified version and it seems to work. You won't be hungry either! P.S. I got this at www.atkins.com and did a search for "Fat Fast"

The Fat Fast
Counterintuitive as it may sound, if you can't budge the scale on Induction, a few days on this regimen may well allow you to break through metabolic resistance.

Certain individuals are so metabolically resistant that only more intense dietary restrictions prove successful. Once medications, thyroid problems and candida are brought under control, almost all overweight people who diligently adhere to the Atkins Nutritional Approach™ will lose and keep off weight. But for the small group of people for whom it does not work, more extreme measures are necessary.

To help these metabolically resistant people, Dr. Atkins has modified what he calls "the most effective weight-loss eating pattern ever described." British researchers Alan Kekwick and Gaston Pawan developed it, and Frederick Benoit and his team confirmed its superiority in burning off fat, compared to an absolute total fast. This extreme diet consists of 1,000 calories daily, comprised of 90 percent fat. No other weight-loss regimen has matched its ability to burn off stored fat. Dr. Atkins modified the Kekwick diet to make it as enjoyable as possible and dubbed it the "Fat Fast." He tried it on scores of patients and found it often worked for those who were unable to lose weight in any other safe, drug-free way.

The Kekwick diet forces the body into lipolysis so it burns its stores of fat. Lipolysis cannot take place if there is a significant source of glucose. Since all carbohydrates and some protein convert to energy by way of glucose, eliminating almost everything but fat from the diet forces even the most resistant body into lipolysis. That explains the 90 percent dietary-fat component. Lowering the caloric intake accelerates the need to burn up body fat—thus the 1,000-calorie limit.

The Fat Fast is one controlled carb program where you do have to count calories. You'll eat 1,000 calories a day, with 75 percent to 90 percent comprised of fat. Frequent feedings prevent hunger better than three meals a day, so you consume five feedings, perhaps one every four hours, comprising 200 calories each. Because of the high fat content and frequent feedings, very few people experience much hunger. The stumbling block for some people is the absence of conventional meals. But most are willing to stick with it for a few days, even if the food selections are unfulfilling.

Caution: The Fat Fast is actually dangerous for anyone who is not metabolically resistant. For people who lose weight fairly easily, the rate of weight loss is too rapid to be safe. But it carries very little risk for people who can barely lose on any other regimen.

Step One: Eat Mostly Fat
Begin with five 200-calorie feedings per day and follow for four or five days. Each item equals approximately 200 calories:

one ounce of macadamia nuts or macadamia nut butter
two ounces of cream cheese or Brie
one ounce of tuna or chicken salad with two teaspoons of mayonnaise served in one-quarter of an avocado
two deviled eggs made with two teaspoons of mayonnaise
two ounces of sour cream and two tablespoons black or red caviar
two and a half ounces whipped heavy cream topped with sucralose zero-calorie syrup
two ounces of pâté (check label for fat content)
two egg yolks (hard-boiled) with one tablespoon of mayonnaise

Step Two: Modify the Fat Fast
If increasing the fat-to-carbohydrate ratio and cutting calories work, any dietary change in that direction might get the job done. Next, you can try four meals a day of roughly 300 calories for a total of 1,200 calories. That should work, too, and what it allows is definitely more appealing to the taste buds:

two ounces of beef chuck (do not drain fat) cooked in two tablespoons of olive oil
two scrambled eggs with two strips of nitrate-free bacon
two tablespoons of full-fat sour cream with a tablespoon of sugar-free syrup
one-quarter cup chicken or tuna salad made with two tablespoons of mayonnaise
three ounces of pâté (check label for fat content)
one-and-a-half ounces of macadamia nuts

Step Three: Return to Induction
Try the 1,200-calorie regimen for a week, then go back to Induction. Or simply follow the concept of increasing the ratio of fat to protein. No one should have to feel that losing weight is hopeless. Sometimes the key to achieving your goal weight permanently is quite difficult to adhere to, but rarely is it simply impossible.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Feb-26-04, 07:16

Plan: Own LC
Stats: 247/166/155 Female 5'3"
BF:lots
Progress: 88%

I strip all the time and they have never shown me in Ketosis. I have lost 39 pounds so I don't pay much attention to them. When they are used up I WILL NOT replace them.

Good Luck,
kat
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Feb-26-04, 08:40
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Before you go as extream as the fat fast, I'd say cut out all that processed foods. Not only do they probably have sugar and hidden carbs, the sodium alone could eb causing massive water retention.

Try doing KISS for about a week and see if that makes things start to work. Basically you cut out processed foods and dairy. Sticking to whole foods, veggies, fats and tons of water.

You might also try getting an acocount at www.fitday.com to see exactly where your carbs are coming from and what could be the problem.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Feb-26-04, 08:49
Gettin' Close

Plan: LC
Stats: 274/220.6/210 Male 6'2"
BF:33/23/15
Progress: 83%

Prana:

Are you drinking lots of water, but still feel thirsty? Do you have a strange metallic taste in your mouth? I had these symptoms the first 2 weeks of being on the plan, and I've read around here that these are indications of being in ketosis.

-Mike
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Feb-26-04, 09:21

Stats: 125/112/105
BF:
Progress: 65%

prana
Since you dont' have much to lose, it is harder to get to ketosis, but that doesn't mean you won't lose.
The sticks are often poor indicators. I drove myself nuts my first few months with those th ings, but realized I was losing nicely without having a pink readout on the sticks. Often the readout on the stick is excess dietary fat passing through your body, not necessarily from body fat exiting your body. I wouldn't suggest the fat fast. Just be patient, step up the exercise (that will really spur you into ketosis) What you are eating looks fine (but stay away from the bacon bits and salami = really high sodium in those processed meats)
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Feb-26-04, 10:36
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Prana, if you are at 21% body fat, then you are already at the lower end of average. To get down to 16-18% would be where athletes are. That takes a lot more then diet, including a fairly intense workout program. If you want to push your body fat lower in a healthy manner, then it is going to take time in the gym with weights. You might check out the body for life program, there is a forum on here about combining BFL with low carb.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Feb-26-04, 11:58

Plan: moderate carb, WW
Stats: 274/245.2/200 Male 5 feet 9 inches
BF:36%
Progress: 39%

I agree with climbergrl & Lady Belle. You dont have much to lose. Throw the sticks away, try cutting out the cheese and processed meats. drink your water & exercise. Relax a little bit and good luck!!!
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Feb-26-04, 12:14

Plan: Atkins-modified
Stats: 230/203/165 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 42%

And another thing: Sometimes, the ketostix are bad. They could be very old, or, the seal could have been broken (even a small hole the size of a pin prick can allow moisture into the package, thus rendering the ketostix ineffective.)

You asked for a sample meal plan of what people eat on induction. Well, DWRolfe is going on a "rerereinduction" and he always posts his menus from day to day; you can check out his journal, here: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...&page=254&pp=15

I've also been posting my own menus in my journal, but I'm floating somewhere between OWL and induction, so the menus might prove misleading to you.

-G.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Feb-26-04, 12:15

Plan: My Way!
Stats: 293/273/250 Female 5'8
BF:too darn much!
Progress: 47%

WOW!!! This thread has really helped me!