Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Feb-14-04, 19:23
Registered Member

Plan: SB
Stats: 256/200/165 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 62%
Default Can I eat Almonds??

I bought a bag of almonds today and it looks like 1/4 of a cup is equal to about 1 net effective carb, however, I noticed that in that 1/4 of a cup there is 1g of sugars. So can I eat the almonds or not? Will that 1g of sugar destroy everything I have worked for so far?

One more thing I would love a reply from someone who really knows the low carb way of life, I have a serious sweet tooth and for dessert tonight I made some whipped cream with splenda and added 1 cut up russell stovers chocolate truffle (.2 Net effective carbs) this was so good that I can't imagine that it was actually legal, is it? My mom has been doing Atkins for approx. 1 1/2 months now and I know she make sugar free Jello with whipped cream or cream cheese mixed in. This is also very good, is it legal? Thanks in advance for all your help, I'm still learning.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Feb-14-04, 19:29

Plan: vegan low-carb
Stats: 252/252/199 Female 64.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

As long as you're not on Induction still, you can have nuts. Just count the carbs. The sugar is natural sugar in the nut (unless it's coated with it??).

The desserts you mentioned are legal!! Again, just count the carbs. Make sure not to use too many of your daily carbs on sweets, etc--try to make most of them veggies, eggs, cream and cheese...a few for a sweet treat is fine, tho. Ain't this plan great?? I know I have difficulty sometimes and check and double check that something that tastes soooo good is legal

Keep hunting around the board and try reading other people's journals to get ideas on recipes and daily menus, tips and advice, too. Take care!
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Feb-14-04, 20:15
Living Healthy

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 281.4/239.4/145 Female 5'4"
BF:imp/rov/ing
Progress: 31%

One thing you'll probably find after awhile is that your taste buds really change. Sweet things I once loved are now too sweet.

If you're through induction, the nuts, etc. are fine--as long as you're not stalling. Best of luck.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Feb-14-04, 20:29

Stats: 286/261/160 Female 5'8"
BF:BMI43.5%/39.7%/24%
Progress: 20%

Nuts tend to stall me so I have to be careful with them. But they are an excellent nutritious food that you can work into your food plan. Be careful though, because they can be dangerous if you are not very careful. It is just TOO easy to eat too many .
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Feb-14-04, 22:06

Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

WEll I'm a firm believer in a clean induction, which if you read the guidlines of inductions you'll find those "replacement" of sweet treats on not on the list.
Use induction wisely break those habits, stick to the legal foods and when you move on to OWL then add some treats in.
Kathy
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Feb-15-04, 13:32

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

I see you've been LCing since Feb 2nd...so the answer is yes - tomorrow! Keep it to one once (about 22 nuts) a go. Almonds are very moreish!