Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-05-04, 23:31

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 182/147/145 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 95%
Default Private Members Bill to Propose Trans Fat Ban

CTV News has learned the federal government will be presented with a chance to take a stand on Friday -- to all but ban trans fats from food products. A private members' bill is expected to propose strict limits in the hopes of protecting the health of Canadians.

Winnipeg NDP MP Pat Martin will propose the bill in the House of Commons on Friday, culminating a campaign he has been running to get the industrial fat, also known as hydrogenated vegetable oil, eliminated from the Canadian food system.

"We are introducing a bill to ban trans fats from our food supply altogether," he told CTV News.

Hydrogenated, or trans fats form mainly when liquid oil is subjected to hydrogen and changed from a liquid into a solid fat -- for example when a vegetable oil is made into margarine or shortening.

The resultant industrial oil is used for its ability to stay hard at room temperature -- a feature that gives long-life to cookies, cakes, chips and a whole list of processed foods.

Right now, consumers concerned by research linking trans fats to health problems including heart disease have to pore over ingredient lists hunting for the terms partially hydrogenated oils, or vegetable oil shortening.

Ottawa has proposed a labelling scheme that will come into effect by the end of next year, but NDP MP Pat Martin says he has the support of over 5,000 Canadians who say that's not enough.

"We have to take concrete steps to eliminate trans fat," he told CTV News. "Not just label them."

So, armed with his petition, Martin will table a private member's bill on Friday asking that food producers be required to limit trans fats to two grams or less for every 100 grams of fat in their product.

Martin's proposal virtually duplicates legislation in Denmark where the law limits trans fats to between two and five grams per 100 grams of oil, depending on the product.

It's the only country to have placed what effectively amounts to a ban of hydrogenated fats, passed on the strength of arguments that people should be protected from the health risk instead of being simply educated about them.

A 1997 New England Journal of Medicine found that people who consumed one gram of trans a day for a decade had a 20 per cent increased risk of cardiovascular disease.

Canadians ingest, on average, more than 10 grams of trans fats daily.

In a statement, University of Guelph professor Dr. Bruce Holub told CTV that a ban on intentionally produced trans fats such as vegetable shortening and partially-hydrogenated vegetable oils would translate to a 90 per cent reduction in Canadians' average daily intake.

"I would strongly support the banning of commercial hydrogenation... due to the serious health hazards associated such the consumption of such fats," the advisor to the Canadian government on trans fats said.

For their part, The Food and Consumers Products Manufacturers of Canada says food producers are taking appropriate steps.

"Some food manufacturers have already announced changes to their products. We anticipate that companies will continue to investigate options to reduce trans fat," the group said in a statement.

Voortman cookies is one example of a company that has already announced its cookies will be trans-free sometime this year. And Canada's top pizza chain, Pizza Pizza, is working on a new dough recipe -- reformulated to replace hydrogenated oils with canola oils.

Even if Martin's proposal never gets off the ground, the Winnipeg MP says he's far from considering his efforts wasted.

"It's really designed to catch the attention of the public, the government and especially the food industry," he says.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Feb-06-04, 02:12
Registered Member

Plan: CKD
Stats: 225/170/150 Male 66
BF:
Progress: 73%

Questions:
1) Is it possible to make Oreos without transfats?
and if the answer to question 1) is no,
2) Will life be meaningless without the possibility of Cookies 'n Cream ice cream?
also,
3) How long after this bill is passed before the Oreo-leggers start smuggling that cookie goodness across the border?
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Feb-06-04, 11:37

Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean4Prez
Questions:
1) Is it possible to make Oreos without transfats?
and if the answer to question 1) is no,
2) Will life be meaningless without the possibility of Cookies 'n Cream ice cream?
also,
3) How long after this bill is passed before the Oreo-leggers start smuggling that cookie goodness across the border?

The answer is yes, they can be made without Trans-Fats. Anything made with Trans-Fats can be nearly duplicated with Lard, Tallow, Butter, and/or Tropical Oils.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Feb-06-04, 14:44

Plan: IF/Low carb
Stats: 219/201/172 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%

Another idea is to make the transfat product packaging similar to the cigarette packaging in Canada. Cigarette packages contain giant warning labels. If a product has more than the transfat limit then one half of the package must be devoted to a white skull and crossbones on a black background. Then all transfat products could take on a pirate theme - Jolly Roger Oreos.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Feb-06-04, 15:19

BF:

The best option [for the US] in my mind would be for the FDA to yank all Hydrogenated Oils off the market. Since they are artificial, they would have had to have been approved by the FDA...except that they were likely Grandfathered [as they existed before the law requiring approval.] But, the law also says that the FDA can only Grandfather food additives which existed before the law if they are "Generally Reconized As Safe." Since even 1g a day of Hydrogenated Oils can raise Cancer risk by 20%, and the amount found in French Fries is typically 5-7g and Fried Fish is typically 10-22g, there is no way anyone could honestly consider Trans-Fats "safe"...Especially, considering that the purported reason they yanked Cyclamates back in the 70s/80s.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Feb-07-04, 01:43
Registered Member

Plan: Zone first, now just lowcarb my own way
Stats: 145/145/145 Male 166cm
BF:
Progress:

The "can they be made without" ... what do you think they were made with BEFORE frankenfat?

Butter most likely. Mmmmm. Buttttter....
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Feb-07-04, 04:08

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewert
The "can they be made without" ... what do you think they were made with BEFORE frankenfat?

Butter most likely. Mmmmm. Buttttter....

Substitute Butter in place of Margarine or Butter-Flavored Crisco
Substitute Lard in place of Shortening [Crisco]
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Feb-07-04, 11:40
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I think the problem with lard and other things is that they go rancid a lot faster. But I'm sure they use preservatives anyway to help with that.

I think before the low-fat/mono-unsaturated fad that they used coconut oil in a lot of these products.

I think the US should ban transfats too.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Feb-07-04, 13:36

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I think the problem with lard and other things is that they go rancid a lot faster. But I'm sure they use preservatives anyway to help with that.

I think before the low-fat/mono-unsaturated fad that they used coconut oil in a lot of these products.

I think the US should ban transfats too.

I was thinking more of Home Cooking when I listed the substitutions...The only folks who would really need Tropical Oils [such as Coconut] would be packaged food makers. Coconut and other Tropical Oils have some desirable qualities for packaged foods, such as a longer shelf life and harder [more saturated] texture.

As for Lard, you have to be carefull buying it...because there are 2 ways they can make it last longer and one of those is by Partially Hydrogenating it. The other simply involves adding preservatives. Look at the label and if the word "Hydrogenated Lard" appears on it look for a different brand. The Brand I bought lists only Lard, BHA, and BHT. Super Wal-Mart and Winn-Dixie appear to only carry the Partially Hydrogenated Lard. Food World and Publix carry the Real Lard in addition to the Partially Hydrogenated Crap.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Feb-07-04, 22:49
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

Quote:
Substitute Butter in place of Margarine or Butter-Flavored Crisco
Substitute Lard in place of Shortening [Crisco]

I think a big problem here is kosher products.
Parve kosher items are made with hydrogenated oils and margerine since kosher rules forbid you from mixing meat and dairy.

Also lard isnt kosher either... so lots of companies who pay tons of money to get kosher supervision on their foods will have a difficult time adjusting I am sure.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Feb-08-04, 03:46

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyJourney
I think a big problem here is kosher products.
Parve kosher items are made with hydrogenated oils and margerine since kosher rules forbid you from mixing meat and dairy.

Also lard isnt kosher either... so lots of companies who pay tons of money to get kosher supervision on their foods will have a difficult time adjusting I am sure.

True...those companies would do best to use tropical oils. Of course, Beef Tallow would probably also work...Only problem with that is that Beef Tallow [not mixed with Hydrogenated Oils] is virtually impossible for the average person to find. Companies shouldn't have a problem finding it, though. Lard, Butter, Margarine, and Shortening are the only Fats readily available [i.e. Sold in most Supermarkets.] Coconut Oil requires a trip to the Health Food Store and Bill Gates' Money. Palm and Palm Kernel Oils have the same problem as Tallow, they don't even sell them in most Health Food Stores, much less Grochery Stores. There is also a Trans-Fat Free Vegetable Shortening made by Spectrum Naturals. But, I have yet to find it in any Health Food Store, and their own website is of no help as it doesn't list who carries it.

If you're a company, finding other Fats (Tallow, Palm Oil, Palm Kernel Oil, etc...) probably won't be a problem. But, for the average person who can only get what's sold at the Grochery or Health Food stores...Lard, Butter, Margarine, Shortening, and if you're independently wealthy Coconut Oil are about all you'll be able to find. Margarine and Shortening are loaded with Trans-Fat, so they're out. That just leaves Lard and Butter for those of us without a Trust Fund.