Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Feb-10-04, 18:21

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 250/236/150 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 14%
Unhappy Discouraged, but not quitting

Hi guys.

I started induction on Jan. 7th, and lost well the first two weeks, 6 lbs, and 3 lbs., for 9 total first two weeks.

By halfway through my third week I had lost another 2, and was very excited.

Since that time... nothing. I know the "official" definition of stall is something like 6 weeks no loss/inches, and it has not been that long, but I have sooo much to lose, I guess I thought it would go along for a while before any stall-type things began with me.

I keep my carb level at between 25-30, and have added pumpkin seeds and almonds to the basic list, but in fairly low quantities/frequency (just when I have that salty/crunchy craving). My menus are pretty typical of most of the ones posted in here: Eggs and bacon or sausage for breakfast, salad with some no-sugar added deli meat for lunch, chicken or wings or something similar for dinner, cheese for snacks.

The two things I am changing this week are cutting out all bars (I was having an Atkins wafer bar once per day) and trying to increase my water intake.

I am hoping the sugar alcohols are the problem and that things will move this week.

In the meantime I am very discouraged and feeling a bit desperate, as this is my last try at losing, and I really need it to work.

Someone post me a smiley face

-Bleue
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Feb-10-04, 18:31

Stats: 359/266/174 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Bleue, I can't say I have any advice for you but I can sympathize. I've been on Atkins for about the same time and having the same exact problem with lack of weight loss.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Feb-10-04, 18:40

Plan: ex-atkins
Stats: 175/105/115 Female 5 ft 0
BF:
Progress: 117%

It seems to be common to stall after the third week.

I think patience and cutting out the bars should do the trick. If it doesn't, maybe fitday a typical day and check out calories - often people find they are too low or too high (although normally don't worry, people say if your stalling try to aim for 10 your body weight as ideal but no less then 10 times your goal weight).
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Feb-10-04, 18:49
One day at a timer

Stats: 328.5/280.5/180 Female 5 feet 10 inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

I agree keep on going.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Feb-10-04, 18:49

Plan: Organic Dukan Attack
Stats: 132/129.4/116 Female 4' 11"
BF:
Progress: 16%

Try not to think of stalls as a malfunction of the diet but as a necessary breather for your body. Your system CANNOT lose weight at an unbroken pace. It must stop and adapt briefly just as surely as it requires a little sleep every night. Your weight loss will pause periodically and then begin again. It even may go up once in a while. DO NOT PANIC. THIS IS NORMAL!

You have lost quite a few pounds in a very short time. Your system needs to stop, redistribute the weight, "catch its breath," whatever. It will begin again IF YOU DON'T GIVE UP.

STEP AWAY FROM THE SCALE AND NOBODY GETS HURT!!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Feb-10-04, 18:50

Plan: PSMF
Stats: 328/255.0/150 Female 5' 6"
BF:52%/43%/20%
Progress: 41%

Hi Bleue,

I stalled at my 3rd week too. I did not lose any more weight for 3 weeks after induction, but during that time I lost 11 inches! Measuring is a great way to see if we're getting results that aren't showing on the scale.

I'm seeing a bit of a stall now, so I started using fitday to track my meals, cutting out bars too, so hopefully we'll both see lower numbers soon!

Good luck to you and stick with it! I'm sure we'll both be successful!

Cindy
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Feb-10-04, 19:09
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 240/230/160 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 13%
Cool

Hello!
I am in quite a similar boat. Started on the 5th of Jan and lost10 pounds during the first 2 weeks and nothing since. Sometimes it does get hard hanging on, not because I am hungry but just because I want so bad to succeed. This is what I do. ~ Think back on how I felt before I did the plan~ which was awful. Just awful!!! I was achey, tired and had trouble sleeping. These things have changed incredibly.
I told my husband that if I didnt lose another pound I would be happy due to how I feel. I GUESS I LIED!!!! I do want to continue to lose but am okay with it. I think my body is just kind of screwed up right now. It is screaming at me and saying oh no not another eating plan!!! Are you going to starve me?? Are you going to take me on a rollercoaster of eating again. My answer back is no. I feel good, not deprived, my moods are better and my energy level great.
So body~listen up and get used to it!!!!!!
Good luck to you and focus on all the positives!!!!! I have confidence they are coming our way!
Interested in starting a challenge with me? I really need to start exercising consistently and focusing in on that instead of the scale.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Feb-10-04, 19:16

Plan: anti-fungal, atkins
Stats: 165/125/125 Female 5'1
BF:
Progress: 100%

Sugar achols stalled me out the third week!! Also I found I was eating a little too much cheese, and I also let go of the nuts and I jumped back on the losing wagon. I have also tried to up my water more ( and many more trips to the bathroom!!)

I think I thought it was time for me to move to phase two but my body was saying give me a little more time to clean out!!

anyway your doing great keep going!
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Feb-10-04, 19:37

Stats: 250/236/150 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 14%

Thanks for the encouragement, everyone

I'm trying much to focus on the other benefits of eating like this - no more brain fog, no more arguments with myself in the cookie or chip isle (I usually lose the arguments), sleeping well for the first time in quite a long time...

But honestly, the most important thing to me right now (personally, and even more for professional reasons), is the weight loss.

Here's to hanging in there...

-Bleue
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Feb-10-04, 21:25

Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

You will have lots of weeks when you don't lose but you must stick with it, it will pay off :>)

Be sure and count those almonds in your carb count and be aware of the deli meats, sausages, ect you are eating can have hidden carbs and a ton of salt, which can cause water gain.

Kathy
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Feb-10-04, 21:36

Stats: 206/183/145 Female 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 38%

Hey don't be discouraged!!!
You have made incredible changes to your body!
I'm not trying to blow steam up your wazoo
I was in a stall for a month and just yesterday started to drop pounds again. I KNEW my body was at a plateau and just let it be. I continued to eat what I should and even spoiled myself with a great LC recipe of cheesecake, using liquid splenda so that each piece of cheesecake would only have 2 carbs (cream cheese, sour cream and egg carbs). Shaving A sugar free Dark Chocolate russell stover's on top of it makes it SCRUMPTUOUS - even my PICKY husband raved about how good it was (he is not overweight or low carb).
Try really hard to focus on something far away like next year at this time and make yourself live up to a deadline of 100 lbs....just know that in a year you are going to be so much healthier and thinner and more at peace with yourself.
Let me pat you on the back for all you have done!!
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Feb-10-04, 21:45

Stats: 190/186.5/150 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 9%

Just a thought...maybe you should try and stay on induction a little while longer. This is my 5th week on induction and was stalled at week 3 also..just stayed the course on induction and noticed a weight loss this week - plus my measurring tape is showing great results! I don't mind induction so it is easy to stick to it. I have a long way to go to my goal so will keep induction for at least a couple of months. Good Luck!
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Feb-10-04, 22:36

Stats: 170/???/135 Female 5 foot 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 27%

I am in my 6th week and my only loss has been 5 lbs in the 2 nd week. But I'm sticking to it for a variety of reasons.

I feel so much healthier. My skin is so much nicer. I don't feel half as tired as before and my tummy hasn't been feeling bloated and nasty.

So I want to make this a way of life, not just a weightloss diet.

Sure I want to lose those lbs very much. 25 more to goal but if it comes off slowly I can live with that. I'd rather feel the way I do now than how yukky I felt before.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-04, 00:07
Contributing Member

Stats: 195/183/120 Female 5' 2"
BF:too much
Progress: 16%

Blueue,

Are you walking at least 30 minutes 3-4 times a week? Are you doing anything for excersize? What's your water intake each day? What other liquids are you drinking? What do you add to these other liquids? Are you eating any of these "candy" bar things?
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-04, 02:43
SPOILED

Plan: Atkins Life Maintenance!
Stats: 184/152/154 Female 173 cm/5,8
BF:In right places...
Progress: 107%

You are doing just fine, why get discouraged?
I've read so many similar posts and frankly I wonder - what did you guys expect? How fast did you think you would lose? I've lost 30 lbs in a year and I consider it pretty fast......

My only advice is - keep going, up your exercise and trust the plan.....it's working for you already.......

Alina