Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 17:38

Plan: atkins
Stats: 140/140/125 Female 167cm
BF:
Progress:
Unhappy five days and no loss...

Hi all,
Am new to the low carb thing. Read the atkins book and decided it made sense. my boyfirend and I have been doing it for 5 days now, and we have only eaten steak, roast chicken, grilled fish, eggs and cheese and two small cups of lettuce a day. we have made very sure not to have anything with sugar in it, and have been using the correct sweetener, and drinking heaps of water. and 5 days on now neither of us have even loss an ounce!
I don't know what to do?
Are we doing something wrong, or is this normal?

Can someone with some knowledge please give me advice, a clue or anything. Am feeling a bit depressed now!

thanks very much.
ps: oh yes we have also had a couple of those EAS carb control bars, not much only about 3 between the two of us. Says on the pack they only have 3 grams of impact carbs so i figured it was ok. THey are so similar to the atkins products. could this be the problem?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 17:53
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Get rid of the bars. Even the Atkins products can stall weight loss.

You mnight add more Lc veggies as well. What does a typical days menu look like for you? I mean portions and when as well as what. It could be a matter of your not eating enough. What are you using the sweetner in?

Since you are so tall and already within a healthy weight range, the loss will be slow. Adding in exercise can really help. You might also look at Atkins for life and start with that instead of induction.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 17:56

Plan: Atkins/Counting Calories
Stats: 173/165/145 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 29%

A lot of people say that the bars stall them. I'm no expert, but by looking at what your eating, my suggestions would be to add more veggies. Don't be afraid to eat veggies, I made that mistake my first time around. Also, it looks like you are eating too much protein. Try more fats like mayo, butter etc. I like to have the Mock Mashed Potatoes with butter, sourcream, cream cheese, bacon and cheese on the top. I have it with my meat, that way I'm getting in a veggie for a few carbs, protein and fat.

Also, I seem to do well when I keep my calories between 10 and 12 times my weight. I don't use fitday, a lot of people do and they love it, but to me it is to time consuming. I just estimate so that I know that I'm not going over board.

You also don't have too much to lose so it is going to be harder for you than someone who has 50-60 or 100 lbs to lose.

Hopefully someone else can give you a little advice. Try going to the Atkins forum and type Fat Fast in the search. That might be something for you guys to try.

Wee
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 18:59

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 203.5/163/125 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 52%

yes, you guys definitely need to eat more veggies! Going lower than 20g of carbs will not help you lose weight. Get some frozen brocoli and heat it up in the microwave with some butter... real easy and yummy. Cut out the bars too; you shouldn't have them on induction anyway.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 20:33
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/175/125 Female 4'10"
BF:
Progress: 9%

I guess I need more veggies, too. I have cut waaaaaaaaaay down on my carbs for the day, yet still eat enough 0 carbs that I can't honestly say I'm not eating enough. I got below 175 for two days, then bam! Back on 175, and still here I sit.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 22:46

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

When I began doing Atkins I ate everything that was good for me. I bought veggies that I hadn't had in years. I ate mushrooms steak, fish, pork, eggs. I ate with comfort AND weightloss in mind. I kept an eye on my portions but I had a veggie with every meal. For breakfast I combined scrambled eggs with cheese and asparagus. I had a couple of pieces of bacon. I was attending college at the time and the only thing in the cafeteria, that I could eat was a salad that had turkey, lettuce, cukes, cheese and eggs. It filled me up and I was not hungry again until dinner time. My hubby , who does the cooking, would make a meat and a vegetable for me. He would add potatoes or rice for the rest of the family. Sometimes for lunch, I would come home from school, and pan fry a steak. I would make a small salad and broccoli or cauliflower with the steak. I made a little pig of myself, although I was strict with my serving sizes.
I made this into a way of eating and not a way of dieting.