Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 16:57

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 203/138/140 Female 65inches
BF:
Progress: 103%
Exclamation Too thin

Do you ever have family members or friends tell you that you have lost enough or too much?

I keep getting comments from relatives and coworkers telling me to stop losing weight. My mil thinks that I will become anerxic (sp). My dh has to explain to her that I eat tons of things, just not carby things.
My stepdad says I look haggared.

I am still in the 140s, it isn't like I am wasting away. Is it just that they are so used to seeing me with the extra 60 lbs.

Whatever it is, it is very irritating. I mean I feel pretty good about the way I look until I hear these comments.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 17:04
& Dillion Doggie Do!

Plan: Atkins, Maintenance
Stats: 221/172/147 Female 5'6"
BF:Sizes over scale!
Progress: 66%

I am happy, my husband is happy. Isn't that all that matters? My family told me 20 some pound ago that I looked good and had lost enough. LOL Now I am starting to go to the jym to tighten up all that needs tightening Give them time, and they will get use to seeing you thin.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 17:10

Stats: 206/183/145 Female 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 38%

Hi Jen

That is a tough one. 140 lbs may be considered thin for my height of 5' 11" (and it happens to be my goal weight) but I'm going to gander you are shorter.

I have seen a few Atkins people in the before, during and after photos and thought they looked better in the face in the 'during' photos. I have also seen some people who look INCREDIBLE in their after photos and their during photos really do look like just that.

If you come from a "big" family, you will tend to get those "yer getting too thin remarks." However, not all MIL's are selfless and she could also be jealous (however, she could be a saint as well - it is something you have to weigh out for yourself).

The only person I will get the "yer too thin" remark from is my mother who is over 350 lbs and not a millimeter above 5' 5".

I am not asking or even suggesting that you have to do this but if you want blunt honesty, post a photo of you.

I suspect you look great because that is how you feel when you look in the mirror
  #4   ^

Plan: Atkins/Counting Calories
Stats: 173/165/145 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 29%

I get that I don't need to lose weight comment all the time, it drives me nuts!!!

It really isn't anybody elses business, as long as you are healthy that is all that matters. I wonder sometimes if people just say things like that to make us feel better about ourselves. They think that we need to hear that we look fine the way we are so we won't worry about it so much. Like when an overweight person makes a fat joke about themselves and someone sais, oh your not overweight. Do people think that they really believe them, or that it made them feel better.

I wouldn't worry about it, you know what your doing!

Wee
  #5   ^

Plan: was Atkins now SB
Stats: 200/197.5/175 Female 5' 10"
BF:42/42/23
Progress: 10%

According to your stats you are 5'4" so 140 isn't too thin. I'm 5'10" and at one time in my life weighed 140 ( a long long time ago) Maybe they are jealous or they think you'll get real thin & sexy & leave your dh!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 17:12

Plan: Low GI
Stats: 370/170/170 Male 6'1
BF:10%
Progress: 100%

i know exactly what you mean! I get told that im too skinny all the freakin time. Sometimes my dad even refers to me as "Anna" because he thinks im Anorexic.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 17:56

Plan: Intermittent fast/Lowcarb
Stats: 251/199/180 Male 5 ft 10 inch
BF:
Progress: 73%

I get that SOS from my in-laws, co-workers, and sometimes even from my wife! It's even more irritating when people with serious weight & health issues get judgemental about *your* weight. Blow them off. When that ambulance comes, it won't be for you.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 18:12

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
I am still in the 140s, it isn't like I am wasting away. Is it just that they are so used to seeing me with the extra 60 lbs.

I think that's probably at the heart of it all. At your current height and weight, you are not too thin, but they are "used to" you being 60 pounds heavier and even though they may consciously recognize that weighing less is better for you, it still represents a changed you; one that they are not comfortable with even though the only thing that has likely changed about you is your weight and perhaps having a more positive attitude about yourself.
Many people find change threatening and are not aware of it; they are only aware that they feel vaguely uncomfortable and think that if you "stop losing weight" that the uncomfortable feeling will go away.
It could also be that your success with losing weight is a reminder every time that they see you that while you have been successful at losing weight, they are still the way they were; it's a blatant reminder to them that they aren't doing anything about their weight issues and if you go back to being the way you were, they won't have to face that anymore.
Relax and enjoy your success; the comments are more about them then they are about you and they'll get used to the thinner you eventually.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 18:44

Plan: Low GI
Stats: 370/170/170 Male 6'1
BF:10%
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoSpud
I get that SOS from my in-laws, co-workers, and sometimes even from my wife! It's even more irritating when people with serious weight & health issues get judgemental about *your* weight. Blow them off. When that ambulance comes, it won't be for you.

Right on!~~~~~~
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 19:25

Stats: 204.5/157/142 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 76%

I don't mean this to belittle what your feeling at all. I know it must be bothersome and annoying.....
but I can't wait until someone says that to me! I'll feel like I accomplished everything I intended. Someone would FINALLY be jealous of MY body! AH I cant wait!
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 19:40
Anyone?? Bueller?

Stats: 140/135/125 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 33%

I get it from my MIL all the time... she practically screams it through a mega phone every time we go to a family event. It embarasses me to no end, and I have to constantly defend my WOE to her... she btw is 5'2 and WELL over 300 pounds, on every medication known to man, including Zenical and should be taking notes from me! Whew, rant over
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 22:14

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

People seem to be afraid of one becoming anorexic. What they don't realize is you have set a goal for yourself. A friend of mine told me that I was thin enough. However, I know how much weight I want to lose and I will reach my goal. When I met my husband, I weighed 125ish lbs. At 5'3'' that is hardly underweight. I also want to achieve a body fat of 20-25%. This is definitely not an anorexic amount of body fat.So, there is no reason for me to not achieve that goal. WHy can't I just say that to them?

B57
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 22:52

Plan: atkins
Stats: 214/177/140 Female 5'6''
BF:35/28/23
Progress: 50%

Sigh. I dream of having people tell me I'm too thin! I can't imagine being annoyed!
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 23:02

Stats: 150/150/125 Female 5'4"
BF:49/24/??
Progress: 0%

I am waiting for the point were my undies seem to slide right off my butt, and are big and baggy, then I know I am losing weight.

I hope someone will tell me I look to thin maybe in about 12 months time.

Sccuffy
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 00:43
Registered Member

Plan: CKD
Stats: 225/170/150 Male 66
BF:
Progress: 73%

Hey Sccuffy, your text is SO thin, we can't see it!

Seriously, whatever color you're using for your post is almost invisible against the gray background (let alone the light-colored background). Did you intend to have your post almost invisible?