Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jan-17-04, 08:32
Fat and Middle Aged!

Plan: LC
Stats: 000/000/160 Female 6'0''
BF:LOTS AND LOTS
Progress: 0%
Question Too Much H20?!?!?

[FONT=Garamond] Not a newbie, but a quetion none the less....
... I was so proud of myself for getting in, not only my 64 ounces of h20... but actually about twice that, when a lady I work with ruined it for me. she told me that by drinking that much water I was really hurting myself... that I was washing out all the vitamins and minerals that I need. I was just wonderng if this is true, can you really drink too much water?
Thanks for your help...
Carrie-Ann
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jan-17-04, 09:24
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 136/126/110 Female 5' 1
BF:??
Progress: 38%
Smile water per pound

Hey Carrie-Ann!

I was reading something last night that you are suppose to drink a certain amount for every pound you want gone!! I have a co-worker that is on Weight Watchers and she drinks water like it's going out of style! Almost every diet out there calls for lots of water! Is this lady healthy? I know when I work out I need lots more, my body craves it! She probably read one of those little messages on MSN or somewhere where they have done some ridiculous study on how it affects you....My advice....don't believe every thing you read nor hear!!! Listen to people who have lost lots of weight, get their secrets, and most of all listen to your body. It will tell you what it needs. Intuition as I call it! Hope this helps!

Ada
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jan-17-04, 09:29
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Interesting theory, but I don't think it's quite true. As far as I understand it, you only "flush away" the vitamins that are in excess. You can see this effect if your urine turns bright yellow after you take B vitamins. I don't think "excess water" inhibits your body from absorbing them (but I could be wrong.)

I know some people go overboard on the water: you shouldn't have to chug it or force yourself. My philosophy is, just keep sipping on it throughout the day, and listen to your body.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jan-17-04, 09:38
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Having 120 oz of water is nothing compaired to what many on here drink. Many do over 200-300. There is a chance of some electrolytes being flushed out. If you have problems with muscle cramps you may want to add in pottasium. Many also suppliment with calcium and magnesium. The US diet is high enough in sodium, it doubtful you'd need more then that

There is such a thing as water intoxication, but it required drinking a ton of water in a very short period of time Sipping on it all day, and not working hard in hot sun, probably won't be a problem.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jan-17-04, 10:00
Fat and Middle Aged!

Plan: LC
Stats: 000/000/160 Female 6'0''
BF:LOTS AND LOTS
Progress: 0%

Thank you for your feedback... I didn't think that the amount I was drinking was too excessive... but I thought I would check here to get some feedback, and alas, I have received it!!!

I am a constant drinker... with ANYTHING that I drink... that's the main reason I don't really drink a lot of alcohol... I drink fluid constantly almost like a habit... so getting the water isn't hard for me... and I didn't think, unless I was approaching several hundred ounces I would have a problem.

Thanks again,
Carrie-Ann

I AM SO GLAD I HAVE A PLACE TO COME FOR THESE KIND OF QUESTIONS!