Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-04, 11:40

Plan: atkins
Stats: 192/173.5/150 Female 5'3 inches
BF:
Progress: 44%
Unhappy Breakfast disaster!

Hi...new here and i just started atkins again after a failed try at it about 4 months ago. Anyway....I'm determined to stick to it this time but I have run across a small problem that I'm hoping you guys could help me with. I have no problems with lunch and dinner but breakfast is KILLING me.....I am not a heavy morning eater...i usually don't eat in the morning but I have to now and I can't stand eggs and bacon. I bought some of the atkins pancake mix but it was wretched so i bought some of the cereal....WRETCHED!!! I was thinking about the breakfast bars or the shakes but I read somewhere on another atkin's forum that you couldn't use those during induction.

So...I could really use some help...maybe someone else has the same problem and has found a way to work with it....i'm desperate and taking ideas tho...lol. Also please let me know about the shakes and breakfast bars cuz I know i could do those..

thanx
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-04, 11:46

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 220/205/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

You could check the orange bar at the top of the page under low carb recipes for breakfast ideas. the mock danish is really good.

But breakfast can be anything you want -- I have leftovers a lot of times, chicken or porkchops, it really is up to you.

I also make pancakes with 2 ounces of cream cheese and an egg, mix well together pour gently into a hot skillet, you may have to turn it gently too. Top with sugar free syrup or sugar fee jam heated with a touch of water.

The last time I made that I added some ground almonds, so it was a nutty, mealy pancake, but I liked it. You could add a dash of vanilla too.

I think part of what has helped me is that you don't have to have traditional breakfast foods, try deviled eggs, they are a good change (and look for dill pickle relish) from eggs.

I hope this helps you some.

Debi
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-04, 11:49
Doctor Dirt

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 218.2/195.0/145 Female 5'9"
BF:43.6%/31.0%/22.0%
Progress: 32%

Hey, who says you have to eat cereal or bacon and eggs for breakfast?? I've been known to have salads, ham-and-cheese roll ups, veggies dipped in cream cheese, and even weirder stuff for breakfast. My "typical" breakfast, though, consists of a couple of pre-cooked sausage patties, nuked -- I'm ALWAYS running late in the morning.

As for the Atkins bars, there are a lot of differing opinions on them, but I'd try to stay away from them for the first month. You are trying to rid your body of carb cravings, and those bars are full of sugar alcohols. I use them now once in awhile when I can't find the time to eat -- but personally, I'd recommend that you leave them alone for awhile.

Good luck!!!

Jeannie
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-04, 12:06

Stats: 295/189/185 Male 70"
BF:
Progress: 96%

I make a batch of deep dish pizza quiche (see main dishes under lc recipes) and warm up one piece a day. Not a big meal, but filling. Many have leftovers.

Your ability to plan will go a long way toward your success.

Cheers!
BrewWa
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-04, 12:19

Stats: 151/128/110 Female 5'1.5"
BF:Yes
Progress: 56%

I am not really a breakfast food eater so for the most part I don't eat traditional breakfast foods but here are a few things that have worked for me...and they are induction friendly! P.S. The recipes were found mainly on this site. I have also been turned on to turnips lately....fry them up with a little bit of onion topped with cheddar cheese and bacon....yummy!

Cream Cheese Crepes
1 egg
1 oz. cr. cheese
1 T. butter
1/2 t. vanilla
2 packets Splenda

Melt butter in skillet. Beat egg and 1 packet Equal. Pour into skillet and let cook - do not stir. Meanwhile, stir cr. cheese, vanilla, and remaining Splenda together. When egg looks done, spread cheese mixture over it, allowing it to melt a bit. Take a spatula and, starting on one side, roll up the egg, crepe style, and remove from pan. Enjoy

Mock Danish

2 oz cream cheese (soften in microwave)
1 egg
1 tblspn splenda
1 tsp lemon concentrate
1/2 tsp vanilla

mix softened cream cheese and egg. Add remaining ingredients. microwave on high for 2 minutes.

Depends how you make it.... the traditional recipe with 1 egg, 2oz cream cheese, and a packet of Splenda would be about 3.5g.

Zucchini Hashbrowns
1 - 1/2 pounds zucchini
1/2 tsp. salt
2 eggs
6 T. Grated Parmesan cheese
1 clove garlic, minced or pressed
1/4 cup butter

Directions:
1. Coarsely shred zucchini (you should have about 4 cups) and combine salt in a medium size bowl. Let stand for 15 minutes. Squeeze with your hands to press out moisture.
2. Stir in eggs, cheese and garlic.
3. Melt 2 T butter in a wide frying pan over medium high heat . Mound about 2 T of the zucchini mixture in pan; flatten slightly to make a patty. Repeat until pan is filled, but don't crowd patties in pan. Cook patties, turning once, until golden on both sides. (about 6 minutes).
4. Lift out and arrange on a warm platter, keep warm

Egg Mock Muffin
Recipe: 1 pg. sausage meat
10-12 eggs (beaten)
6 tbsp. whipping cream
Optional:
1 oz. shredded cheese (cheddar, swiss, etc.)
Cooked bacon pcs., mushroom pcs., diced onion .... use your imagination for variation.
(1) Cook sausage meat untill crumbly.
(2) Spray muffin tins with Pam (I use olive oil in a pump spray container).
(3) Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
(4) Pour cooked sausage meat into muffin tins, filling to half full.
(5) Add water to beaten egg mixture, stir.
(6) Add egg mixture on top of sausage meat to almost full.
(7) Add cheese or optional items.
(8) Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until done.
(9) Remove from muffin tins and refrigerate.
Good for on the run breakfasts or snacks.
You can also make this using cooked bacon or ham instead of the sausage meat.

Cream cheese pancakes
1 8 oz package cream cheese
4 eggs, separated
1/2 tsp Somersweet (I used splenda and I used 1 tsp, could have used more)
1/2 tsp cinnamon
butter for pan, griddle

Syrup
2 teaspoons Somersweet (splenda)
1/2 stick butter
1/2 tsp cinnamon

In a medium bowl, mix together cream cheese, egg yolks, Somersweet (splenda) and cinnamon until well blended.

In another bowl, beat egg whites with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form. Fold egg whites into cream cheese mixture.

Heat griddle to medium heat. Dollop about 1/3 cup of the batter onto the buttered griddle.

Cook until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes. Flip and cook other side to a golden brown, adding butter to griddle as needed.

To make Syrup...
Mix sugar substitute with melted butter until dissolved. Stir in cinnamon and pour over pancakes.

This was really good. If you like the mock danish, you will LOVE this. I liked it but would only use 3 eggs next time since it was a little eggy tasting for me. They syrup is fantastic drizzled over these!!

Breakfast Meatballs:
2 lbs sausage
1 lb ground beef
3 eggs
2 TBS instant minced onion
1/2 lb shredded cheddar cheese
black pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine all ingredients and mix well. Roll into 1-1/2" balls and place on cookie sheet. Bake 20-25 minutes. Makes about 50 meatballs. They freeze well after cooking for an anytime snack.

One meatball (approx.)
Calories: 87
Carbs: 0.137
Protein: 5.36
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-04, 12:39
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: 175/161/140 Female 5 ft 4in
BF:
Progress: 40%

I am the same with not being able to eat in the morning so cottage cheese got me thru alot of those days, as well as some celery with sugar free peanut butter or cream cheese on it
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-04, 15:08

Plan: atkins
Stats: 192/173.5/150 Female 5'3 inches
BF:
Progress: 44%

Hey thanx for all the ideas...i'm going to try some of them but i would like to know if you all know the amount of carbs in all the recipes since some of them didn't say.
thanks again