Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-04, 17:51

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 206/183/145 Female 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 38%
Default Wines

In the Atkins book, it says red wine is about 2 carbs per 4 oz but I'm wondering if different wines have higher carbs.

I'm not a wine person so I don't really know. I just bought some Peter Vella wine, called Delicious Red and it tastes very sweet.

Does anyone know if some of the wine manufactureres throw in sugar at the end of the process to make the wine more palatable?

Thanks all
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-04, 17:56
boy interrupted

Stats: 265/265/225 Male 6'2
BF:
Progress: 0%

Im no wine guru, but i dont think that they add sugar after the process.....if they did that then it would ferment some more and no telling what you would have.

Sounds like some of the back yard stuff i used to make!!!!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-04, 18:06

BF:

Thanks for the input Bugspit

I do know that Manoschevitz is a sweeter wine (or that's what I was lead to believe over the years) but again, I'm just not a wine person.

Backyard stuff? Harumph, I'd be offended, except I just don't care because liquor isn't my thing and mild drinks are about the only thing I can stomach on rare occasion (just the thought of Port Wine makes me sick).
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-04, 18:10
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Jeanne,

Yes, different wines do have different carb counts. You can only expect to find an average in carb counters. On the whole, the drier the wine, the fewer carbs it will have.

And no, winemakers don't add sugar. Well, not the ones I know of. Some grapes just happen to be sweeter than others. It can depend (I think) on how long they have ripened, too.

The other point to consider is that we low carbers tend to find things sweet that others don't. I have seen threads here before from folk who find their vegies now taste really sweet.

Cheers.

Rosebud
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jan-13-04, 10:06

BF:

Thanks Rosebud

That is what I suspected, that some do have a higher carb count than others. I wrote to Peter Vella Wines in hopes they could tell me exactly the carb count on the Delicious Red.

As a testiment to how sweet it was, my husband came home and he thought it was grape juice. I had to show him the wine container that said 9.6% alcohol by volume for him to believe it
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jan-13-04, 11:01
Phoenixa

Stats: 164/136.6/132 Female 172/5'8
BF:Yes.
Progress: 86%

Hello Jeanne,

In case you're interested, here's an interesting article about wine and carbs. Underneath are severeal good links as well:

http://wine.about.com/library/weekly/aa061703.htm

#7   ^
Old Tue, Jan-13-04, 11:38

Stats: 169/132/132 Female 153 cm
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Wines and Carbs

Okay, now that I've proven I don't really know how to post...

I used to work for a wine store for years, so here's a little bit I can tell you...

I am unsure of your sugar ratings in the US, but at least in Ontario, we use a sugar code to designate the residual sugar in wines. Maneschevitz (spelling?) has a sugar code of 17, which is huge. Most beers, --which have, what? Four to seven teaspoons of sugar in them? I dunno-- are code 7 to 12. Many French and other European wines will have a code of 1, which will probably add two to three carbs per glass. Look for wines that are extra dry, including champagnes (Extra brut--brut or dry is a code of 1 or 2).

Rose or blush wines are quite sweet, ranging from code 2 to 5. Wine coolers are killers! You might be better off drinking a two litre (liter for you Americans )bottle of Cola (not diet). Coolers also have a ton of calories, about three hundred per bottle, where wine is 65-80 cals. Much better, especially if you drink wine the way I do!

So... white wines and sparkling DRY are best, reds are good too. Blush, Port and Maneschevitz (sp) are not recommended. If you hate the taste of dry wine, add some Club Soda and make a spritzer. Yes, some people even do it with red wines.

Blah blah, does this help? Hope so...

spelling...

Last edited by Itty : Tue, Jan-13-04 at 11:40.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jan-13-04, 11:56
Phoenixa

Stats: 164/136.6/132 Female 172/5'8
BF:Yes.
Progress: 86%

Wow, great post, Itty!
Very interesting. Saved the info.

/gil