Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-08-04, 22:37

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 333/199.8/172 Female 5'8"
BF:??/39.0/25
Progress: 83%
Default Water-induced thermogenesis.

December 2003
Water-induced thermogenesis.

Boschmann M, Steiniger J, Hille U, Tank J, Adams F, Sharma AM, Klaus S, Luft FC, Jordan J.

Franz-Volhard Clinical Research Center and Helios-Klinikum-Berlin, Medical
Link to article

Faculty of the Charite, Humboldt-University, D-13125 Berlin, Germany.

Drinking lots of water is commonly espoused in weight loss regimens and is regarded as healthy; however, few systematic studies address this notion. In 14 healthy, normal-weight subjects (seven men and seven women), we assessed the effect of drinking 500 ml of water on energy expenditure and substrate oxidation rates by using whole-room indirect calorimetry. The effect of water drinking on adipose tissue metabolism was assessed with the microdialysis technique. Drinking 500 ml of water increased metabolic rate by 30%. The increase occurred within 10 min and reached a maximum after 30-40 min. The total thermogenic response was about 100 kJ. About 40% of the thermogenic effect originated from warming the water from 22 to 37 C. In men, lipids mainly fueled the increase in metabolic rate. In contrast, in women carbohydrates were mainly used as the energy source. The increase in energy expenditure with water was diminished with systemic beta-adrenoreceptor blockade. Thus, drinking 2 liters of water per day would augment energy expenditure by approximately 400 kJ. Therefore, the thermogenic effect of water should be considered when estimating energy expenditure, particularly during weight loss programs.

#2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-09-04, 08:38
Registered Member

Plan: SBD
Stats: 282/259/190 Female 5'10 sz.22-24/18/12
BF:
Progress: 25%

thanks for the info on water consumption--I do MUCH better when I drink all my water
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-09-04, 13:15
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Probably burn all the extra calories from running full speed to the potty every 10 minutes.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jan-09-04, 14:35

Plan: atkins
Stats: 330/217/190 Male 70 in
BF:?/30/less than 20
Progress: 81%

Does anybody know how many calories equal 400kJ? Also this means that colder the water is, the more energy you expend heating it up. So drink lots of ice cold water.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jan-09-04, 15:22
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

Quote:
Originally Posted by catfishghj
Does anybody know how many calories equal 400kJ? Also this means that colder the water is, the more energy you expend heating it up. So drink lots of ice cold water.

400kJ = 96 calories (400/4.184)

No, the article says the thermogenic effect was reached by *warming* the water from 22 degrees to 37 degrees C. That would be 70 to 96 degrees F.

Interesting article. Thanks for posting.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jan-09-04, 17:02

Plan: Skinny Me Diet
Stats: 345/212.5/210 Male 6'4
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
No, the article says the thermogenic effect was reached by *warming* the water from 22 degrees to 37 degrees C. That would be 70 to 96 degrees F.

But it didn't say what temp. the water was when the people drank it. If they were drinking room temp. water, it would be somewhere around 70 degrees. Which would explain why the body only used energy to warm it from 70 to 96. However, if they drank water that was 35 degrees.....the body WOULD have to use energy to warm the water.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jan-09-04, 18:22
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

Maybe they meant the water was drunk at 70 degrees and when it had to be warmed to body temp, that's what caused the thermogenic effect. I didn't think of it that way.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jan-10-04, 00:02
Rasputin

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Water is very good for the body indeed as further evidenced diemde's post (cheers btw!), but the termperature at which it is consumed makes a nominal difference to the calories used to warm it up to one's body temperature.

Does drinking ice water burn calories?

Quote:
Originally Posted by teridoodle
Maybe they meant the water was drunk at 70 degrees and when it had to be warmed to body temp, that's what caused the thermogenic effect.
That only causes 40% of the thermogenic response according to the original post. The remaining 60% was due to the metabolic response of body tissues.

Regardless - LET'S DRINK WATER!!
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-04, 23:04

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 333/199.8/172 Female 5'8"
BF:??/39.0/25
Progress: 83%

Rasputin, that was a great article you posted! I especially loved this line:

And unless your urine is coming out ice cold, your body must be raising the temperature of the water.

Here's to water!
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-04, 23:55

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrschmelz
But it didn't say what temp. the water was when the people drank it. If they were drinking room temp. water, it would be somewhere around 70 degrees. Which would explain why the body only used energy to warm it from 70 to 96. However, if they drank water that was 35 degrees.....the body WOULD have to use energy to warm the water.

Interesting concept...I've noticed I've been losing faster since early December than I was immediately before. I hadn't considered the Calories burned warming my Slushees/Slurpees up to Body temperature. I had noticed though that a Diet Pepsi Slurpee seemed to have a negative Caloric effect...which it likely does:

44 oz / 16 oz-lb = 2.75 pounds
2.75 lbs x 454 g-lb = 1248.5g = 1.2485 kg

Let's assume for this purpose a Slurpee is 0F (-18C)

1.2485 kg x (37C - -18C) = 1.2485 kg x 55C = 66.6675 kcal

Since a Diet Pepsi Slurpee only contributes 24 kcal, that means drinking one would actually burn more Calories than it contributes. Of course, the same cannot be said for Regular (Sugary) Slurpees as they contain 150g of Sugar which contributes about 600 Calories. The < 67 kcal burned heating the Slushee is only a drop in the bucket compared to the 600 kcal in the Slurpee itself.

Now, that said, a 7-11 Slurpee is likely not 0F...Though, the crushed ice Stevia Sweetened Slushees I make probably are at least that cold as they stay frozen for quite a while after being left out.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jan-15-04, 01:51
Rasputin

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

LOL diemde - that line cracked me up too!