Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Dec-30-03, 10:49

Plan: Protein Power, IF
Stats: 238/204/145 Female 5'8"
BF:53.75%/46.6%/25%
Progress: 37%
Question Problems with Pyramids

I've just started my first BFL challenge. I use the gym in my apartment building which, I'm learning, has a limited combination of cable and lever machines, and no dumbbells or barbells. On my first day of upper body work I had trouble with doing some of the exercises since I'm not very strong. For example, I did a triceps extension exercise on a cable machine, but got to failure by the middle of the third set. (I did 12 reps at 10 lbs, 10 reps at 20 lbs and about 3 reps at 30 lbs.)

Since I don't have access to any lighter weights (and cannot even hope to think about buying anything), I think I need to adjust the pyramid a bit. How should I go about doing that? Should I repeat weight for another set (12 reps at 10, 10 reps at 10, 8 reps at 20, 6 reps at 20, 12 reps at 20, then second tricep exercise)? Or a combination of reduce reps and reduced weight (12/10, 10/20, 8/20, 3/30, 12/20)? Obviously my goal is to build up to a complete pyramid.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Dec-30-03, 13:35

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/162.5/140 Female 5' 5 1/2"
BF:no clue
Progress: 63%

Sorry about your frustration.

First Walmart has very inexpensive dumbbells. If you could even pick up a set of 5 or 10 pounders once a week until you build up your inventory. They also have a set that goes up to 40 pounds for around $25.

Another thing you can do with what you have, you can do your 12 reps and 10 pounds, do 10 reps and 10 pounds but do the reps slower and contract the muscle more, do your 8 reps and 20 pounds, your 6 reps at 20 pounds and do the reps slower, concentrating on contracting muscle more. etc.

Good luck,

Piano
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Dec-30-03, 13:50
Contributing Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 186/160/160 Male 68 inches
BF:?%/15%/10%
Progress: 100%

Hi,

I like Piano's suggestions too, that sounds like a good way to do it.

They make small 2.5 and 5 lb weights that are meant to sit on top of weight stacks. If you could find them, that would probably solve the problem. Or maybe you could find something around the house that weighs 2.5 and 5 lbs that would stay put on top of the weight stack.

Arnie
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jan-04-04, 20:32

Piano, thanks for the idea of doing a second set at the same weight, but slower. I'll give that a try. It sounds like a good way to build up some strength.

Arnie, I'll have to think if I have something that would stay put on top of the stack -- they're the kind where there's a cable that comes right out from a bolt in the center of the stack and the top "weight" isn't full sized. So there's very little space to put something.

At any rate, I only need an interim solution, and I think that the main thing is to keep pushing myself to build muscle. My next challenge is to figure out some make-shift calf exercises -- my little gym has *nothing* for calf presses or raises. LOL.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jan-05-04, 18:59

Plan: PPLP
Stats: 235/179/125 Female 5' 5"
BF:lots/less/<20%
Progress: 51%

you can put almost anything on with a magnet
or take a a gallon baggie full of rice or beans and drape it over the stack - should be a mid-point weight for you. or even sand (double bagged) -
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jan-05-04, 19:28

Plan: formerly Atkins
Stats: 350/232/225 Female 5' 8"
BF:mooooo/moo/buff
Progress: 94%

Go buy some dumbbells, then you can do 1 legged calf raises and angled calf raises at least.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jan-06-04, 18:44

LisaS -- the gallon bags are a great idea!