Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Dec-28-03, 11:18

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178.5/168/130 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 22%
Default mom to be..out of ketosis?

I just found out the other day that I'm pregnant so I quickly went to the pharmacy and bought folic acid and prenatal vitamins and I knew I couln't be in ketosis because it's harmful to the baby. So, yesterday I tried to knock myself out of ketosis All I did was eat a chocolate candy bar and 2 Chalupas from Taco Belle, besides some meatloaf. Does anyone know if that's enough to do the trick or should I keep eating other no-no foods? I have the sticks but I'm not at home and I'm curious.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Dec-28-03, 11:24
overeasy

Plan: No grains/sugar/alcohol
Stats: 221/175.4/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 75%

I would try to stick to healthy Atkins maintainence foods. I would suggest you add in fruit, whole grains and milk. Check the book to see what other foods are included. Congrats on your pregnancy!!

melissa
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Dec-28-03, 11:28

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 250/140/140 Female 5' 7
BF:?/28%/?
Progress: 100%

Check the Atkins site, they have a good article there on someone at Atkins that just had twins I think and stayed on maintenance throughout the pregnancy. I second what Melissa said, you can get out of ketosis and still eat healthy for the baby - not junk. Go for the good fruits, veggies, and whole grains and talk to your doctor. Congrats on such happy news.
Marie
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Dec-28-03, 11:29

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 160/127/125 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:30%/28.7%/??
Progress: 94%

There is a yahoo list somewhere for pregnant low carbers- I don't know exactly what it's called, but a friend of mine was on that list, and spoke highly of it. See if you can find it! Or maybe someone else here knows what I'm referring to and can send you the link.

I bet eating more whole grains or maybe some fresh fruit would knock you out of ketosis just as well as candy could... Anyway, hope you find the list, and that it can help answer some of your questions! Maybe someone in the LC Parents forum could help, too.

And... CONGRATULATIONS!!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Dec-28-03, 12:13

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 417/213/117 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 68%

I agree. Don't flip out. Eating chocolate bars isn't any better for the baby. Join that yahoo group. It's a good one. You can eat low carb when you are pregnant and it's healthier.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Dec-28-03, 12:33

Plan: Atkins/Duodenal Switch
Stats: 344/165/148 Female 65"  (inches) 5'5"
BF:falllingfast
Progress: 91%

lol eat more veggies fruits and grains! lol a couple pieces of whole grain bread and some milk will help you out better then chocolate!
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Dec-28-03, 12:51
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

While pregnant you only need about 300 more calories a day, but you need something like 10 times the nutrition. Taking prenatals is very important, but vitamins and nutrients are better absorbed through diet, and there are some combinations and substances they just can't make in the lab.

Remember everything you eat now has to go to keeping you healthy, pregnancy can be extreamly hard on your body, as well as give the baby a good start on life. Sugar does neither, but don't be to hard on yourself about pregnancy cravings

To stay out of ketosis eat mroe fresh fruits and veggies. Add in plain yogurt, granola, and some whole grains. You still need protien which is the building blocks of life, and fats which contribute to brain development. Your own fat stores are just energy and have already been depleted of nutrients, that is one reason they say not to lose weight while pregnant. You need the nutrients coming in fresh.

There is a book "A Mom to Be does Atkins" It's written by a doctor at the Atkins clinic who was pregnant with twins. It gives her daily menus and tips.

There is also peopl eon here who have done LC while pregnant. Find thier journals and see what they are eating and how they are managing.

Remember gaining a healthy amount of weight, not too much, means it will be easier to take off after. Regular exercise will also make the weight come off better, keep ab muscles strong which may stretch out, and help push oxygen to both you and baby.