Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Dec-08-03, 10:57
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/165/130 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 30%
Default Fell off the wagon, but back on again

Yesterday I lost it. I'm not sure what made me do this, but I had 7 budlights. Then, my husband and I grilled hot italian sausages. I intended for my husband to make a sandwich with his, and I'd eat mine w/o bread. However, after the beer, I decided I'd already messed up so why not eat the sandwich. I was feeling very guilty this morning. But when I weighed, I had lost another pound since yesterday. So that inspired me and I'm back on Atkins full force.

Does anyone have any suggestions on resisting the urge to cheat?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Dec-08-03, 11:07
PuertoRican Princess

Stats: 299/236/135 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 38%

If it's not in the house, you can't have it. I just don't buy anything I can't have. And the stuff my family still want to have that I can't my husband puts up high where I can't reach it. I'm too lazy to get a chair just to go grab a cheat. LOL

Plus lots of water always helps me out. Right now I'm craving more Pecan nuts, but don't want to over do it so I'm filling myself up with water, and it's working. I'm too full of water now to want those nuts.

Good luck and don't worry, everyone falls off the wagon every now and then. Just dust yourself off and get back on.

Lily
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Dec-08-03, 11:49

Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

One way to resist the urge to KEEP cheating is get rid of that mindset that says, "Well, I've already blown it, I might as well hammer it flat."
(Were the amount of budlights involved in this? You tell me!)
It's one thing to cheat, but what is truly dangerous is that feeling that you are already messed up, and messing up more won't count.
UNTRUE! UNTRUE! UNTRUE!
Messing up with a serving of something is obviously easier to get rid of/get over than plate after plate of whatever you don't really want to eat. Slam the brakes on right away!
I think of it as a bank account situation. If I go overboard spending on a dress or a pair of boots, do I say, "Gee, I've already gone over what I wanted to spend. I guess I'll max out the credit cards and overdraw the bank account too!"
Of course not. Because you know eventually it all has to be paid back. Eating is the same way. Because, eventually, it all has to be burned off.
So the thing to ask yourself when cheats (or worse, further cheats) beckon, is, "Just how long do I want to be paying this off?"
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Dec-08-03, 11:56

Stats: 302.2/302.2/185 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 0%

LOL adkpam... can I just say I *love* the credit card analogy???

And not to worry auburnwife... you can get right back on track and keep on going. Watch for things that you find are triggers - i.e. if you find when you drink you crave carby foods, try to have a yummy LC snack on hand that'll taste even better. Stick big "Are you SUREEEEE you want to eat this" stickers on anything high carb you still have in the house so that if you pull it out without thinking... (or in the midst of a Budlight afternoon )... you might be pushed back on course.

Good luck!

Wynter
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Dec-08-03, 12:35
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks for the great suggestions and for the support. Yes, I do have to admit, the budlights probably had some pull on what I ate. Not very often that I do that. I'm back on and I'm not going to let any of those cheating urges get the best of me.

Thanks again!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Dec-09-03, 13:59
Registered Member

Stats: 200/186/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:A lot
Progress: 28%

Hello-
I fell off the wagon today, and I mean HARD! Cookies, pie, chocolate, pasta, bread(potluck at school) but I feel fine about it. I am human, and am expected to mess up once in awhile, I am right back on and drinking lots of water.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Dec-09-03, 15:12
Registered Member

BF:

Sometimes it's hard not to fall off the wagon. Just pick yourself back up and get back on. Good luck!