Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-16-02, 07:35

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 191/188/135
BF:
Progress: 5%
Unhappy Weight Gain on Prozac

Looking for a little encouragement from someone who might have same experience as I. Is it always (usually) the case that if one takes Prozac or any other antidepressant that it prohibits weight loss even on a low carb diet? I was able to easily stay at a good weight on Atkins years ago but then in my mid-40s developed depression. Because I could not keep depression and mood swings at bay and at the advice of my doctor (she kept after me for over a year to try Prozac), I finally decided to try it (very reluctantly). I keep the dose at the minimum I can do okay with (20mg) and it has helped a great deal but I've also gained a considerable amount of weight (50 lbs. in a six-year period and still climbing!). I felt 'normal' for most of my life but the melancholy that developed a few years ago was so bad I was at a point of either losing every friend I had or trying meds -- I wasn't about to lose my husband to bad mood swings. I have tried stopping Prozac from time to time (and other meds - Paxil, Zoloft) so I could lose weight but symptoms returned with a vengeance. Has anyone lost weight on the Atkins diet while on Prozac (I don't care if it takes longer to lose weight/as long as I don't continue to gain and can actually lose some weight, I won't give up) but I do need some encouragement (Prozac seems to make me want carbs more). If not, any suggestions on what I can do would be appreciated (although depression is awful, being fat has not exactly helped with my self-esteem -- amazing how it has affected how some at work perceive me now / not looking 'the part' has taken it's toll there too (executive). Although I'm told I still look younger than I am and pretty, the fat body sure projects a negative image (to some, fat = stupid/lazy). Not fair but it's the real world.

Last edited by ZoeReebok : Tue, Apr-16-02 at 07:40.
Sponsored Links