Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Dec-29-03, 10:09
Registered Member

Plan: general low carb
Stats: 172/163/124 Female 62.5"
BF:31/29.5/24
Progress: 19%
Default Need Advice: Dehydration?

I think I have a dehydration problem, not sure what's caused it.

I've been drinking loads of water, no additional beverages except a cup of green tea here and there. I've felt fine all along, ketostix light pink. Then Suddenly:

Last night I made spaghetti squash with sausages (locally Mennonite made, no fillers), mushrooms, parmesian cheese, spices. When I was done I felt so bloated I thought there must be something wrong with the sausages, but no one else had any trouble with them. Then I thought perhaps I had overdone the squash (only had 1/2 cup) and ended up with too much carbs. Took a quick check of the ketostix and they were so dark they were almost black, never been that dark before. Woke up with a splitting headache this morning and my tongue stuck to the roof of my mouth.

Nothing I haven't eaten before, drank my whole gallon of water yesterday, eggs for bkfst, lamb, salad, cheese for lunch. Does anyone know of any other causes of dehydration? Assuming that's the problem, of course. Could it be something else? Can someone develop a sudden reaction to something like mushrooms or squash?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Dec-29-03, 11:05
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

The bloat could be water retention from the sodium in the sausages. Is it possible you have a candidia overgrowth? In that case the sausage, cheese, mushrooms and a couple other things could of caused discomfort. Also if the sausage was loaded with sugars others may not of noticed because they aren't as sensative as you are since you've been on LC.

Green tea is a natural duretic. It can help flush water weight, but it can also make you slightly dehydrated. I drink several oz of water a day, we're talking probably well over 300. If I have coffee or tea (even herbal), or suppliments containing caffine I do get slightly dehydrated. Bloat doesn't come from dehydration though as much as either water retention, or lots of gas

Maybe the sausage, spices, and mushrooms jusst gave you a really bad case of gas?
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Dec-29-03, 11:30
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

I've found that as the depth of ketosis increases I need to drink more water. It does seem you have symptoms of dehydration. A gallon a day seems like a lot to me, but maybe you need even more. When I did bfl I got dehydrated drinking a gallon a day also. Be sure you getting enough electrolytes with all that water.

I'm guessing the bloating may be because your body is retaining the water it has due to the dehydration???
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Dec-29-03, 12:29
Registered Member

OOps - typo, meant to say 1/2 gallon of water, possibly a little more. Been drinking all morning, stix still dark dark dark. I don't know why my body's decided to kick into high gear like this. do you think it makes sense to add an extra cup or two of veg until things even out, or just go with the flow?
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Dec-29-03, 14:03
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Why not add more water if that's the problem?
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Dec-29-03, 14:17
Registered Member

When I said "I've been drinking all morning", I meant that I was drinking more than usual - about twice as much. I've probably had 8 or 10 glasses of water already. Headache, dizziness still not gone, so I'm looking for something a little quicker- acting :-)