Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Oct-27-03, 11:18

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 225/140/140 Female 5' 4.5"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Unhappy My body is driving me crazy!!!

For the last two weeks, I have been on a weight yo-yo. I was at 189, got down to 187, went back to 188, stayed there for what seemed like an eternity, finally got back down to 187, then yesterday I hit 186 and excitedly changed my stats here and in Fitday. Now this morning my scale says 188.8 I know it's probably TOM/water retention, but it's getting a little frustrating. My eating habits haven't changed at all, so that can't be the problem. I guess I just need to be patient and wait it out. Anyone feel like giving me some moral support?? LOL
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Oct-27-03, 11:28
Too kinky for you

Stats: 265/246/187 Male 176 cm
BF:xxx/27.2/20
Progress: 24%

Hiya!
Hey, stick with it! I've just been through the same. Just over a month ago I saw 209lbs on the scale. For the last MONTH it's been seesawing between 209 and 213. No change in eating habits. My body just decided it needed a break. Two days ago I cracked 209 again, and this morning I was 207. Stick with the plan, plateaux are perfectly normal!

Good luck!
Steven
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Oct-27-03, 11:59
Low Carb Cowgirl

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 210/174/145 Female 5 ft 5 in
BF:
Progress: 55%

I have the same thing happen to me. I have tried everything and when your body is ready to let go of more weight, it will. Hang in there, you will get a woosh and be so happy you stuck it out!!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Oct-27-03, 12:22

Plan: General
Stats: 185/155/135 Female 5'6
BF:you kidding me?
Progress: 60%

I'm stuck with you. I have been bouncing around the same three pounds for four weeks now! I'm extremely frustrated and aggravated!!

Thing is, I've heard this happens when you hit a weight that you stayed at for a long time in the past. Well, I'm at one of those weights. I guess the only thing to do is keep on keeping on. Ugh!!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Oct-27-03, 12:27

Plan: DANDR
Stats: 191/153/145 Female 66.5
BF:
Progress: 83%

If it is your TOM water retention is probably the culprit...be patient. The other alternative is to abandon this WOE and REALLY gain!

Don't give up! Lots of folks have had this happen and have hung in long enough to see the weight start to come off again. Do a search on stalls and maybe you can get some ideas to get yourself moving again. But I wouldn't worry until you get past the TOM.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Oct-27-03, 12:41

Plan: my own way...
Stats: 300/292/169 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 6%

Ive been doing the same...staying between 199 and 206 for about a month and a half...finally i broke free this morning by hitting 198...hopefully I continue to go down!
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Oct-27-03, 12:49

Stats: 188/156.5/150 Female 5 foot 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 83%

I too have been going up and down in the same 4 pound range for what seems like forever (but really is only about 6 weeks.) I have started eliminating a certain food type for a week to see if it makes a difference. I cut my cheese back to 3-4 oz a day and that is helping. I cut out nuts but have reintroduced them in moderation... I was also drinking a lot of Crystal Bay...it is a sparkling water sweetened with Splenda -- so I eliminated those drinks. Play around with one of your major food groups and see if you can experience a WHOOOSH!

Karen
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Oct-27-03, 14:35

Stats: 225/140/140 Female 5' 4.5"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Thanks for the words of encouragement guys - you are all right of course. I WILL get past this!! I just have some very frustrating moments sometimes. I guess we all do, right? It's nice to have this place to come to and vent!
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Oct-27-03, 16:52
Gold Member

Plan: Atkins -Maintenance
Stats: 250/132/150 Female 5'6
BF:y, are you hungry?
Progress: 118%

I to am suffering with the scale seasawing. I can't really blaim mine on tom as I had it about a week ago. I am looking into trying green tea extract, it supposedly helps with water retention.

Gabrielle
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Oct-27-03, 17:10

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

I always go by my lowest weight. When my weight goes up, I do not stress about it because I only go by my lowest weight. So when I was weighing 142 lbs I stalled ( atleast weightwise ) and often say my weight go up as high as 146 lbs. It didn't matter, I only considered myself as 142 lbs. Now, my weight is down to 137 lbs but it has gone up as high as 140. I only consider myself as 137 lbs. I am peri-menopausal and I take this stubborn weightloss as part of the nature of my body wanting to hold onto fat and water. But eventually, it lets go. That is good enough for me.

Black57
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Oct-27-03, 17:13

Stats: 218/209/185 Male 6 feet 0 inches
BF:
Progress: 27%

I'm glad these ruts are normal. My first 9 days of induction I lost 10 lbs (218 to 208). I could'nt believe it! I figured I would be well under 200 by Thanksgiving at this rate. Well I've stayed exactly between 208 and 210 in the two weeks since that weigh in. I think it's all the water and weight lifting I've been doing. The fat still seems to be coming off so I'm just gonna keep hanging in there!
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Oct-27-03, 19:42

Plan: atkins
Stats: 230/223/150 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 9%

I am doing the same and I so want to break that 200 mark. I am keeping my low weight and just sort of ignoring those other 2 lbs that want to keep coming back. I am still hoping by nov 1 that I wil be 199 but I am not counting on it. I have uped my walking so I think that is causing me to weigh heavier.
On the brighter side I am into what I call my skinny clothes and I am moving down to my skinner clothes. After that I will have to buy myself a new wardrobe they will be called my skinnest clothes. Can't wait.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Oct-27-03, 21:12

Stats: 162/142.5/135 Female 5'4''
BF:
Progress: 72%

I am so glad this is normal! I keep blaming myself, saying I am not being good enough on the diet but I guess these stalls happen to a lot of people. I am trying hard and working out and the weight is coming off so slowly now! Is it true that exercise makes you gain a little? Is it the muscle mass? I've been at the same weight for weeks now. I was on Atkins before and quit after I couldn't get past my plateau and slowly gained about 25 pounds. So I HAVE to stick to this for the long run. It's just bugging me cuz I want results now! But I need to keep on going, that's the only way to get there. I'm glad to hear there are others in my position. We'll get through this!
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Oct-27-03, 21:56

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

The reason we put on weight in the first place, wasn't because we were eating carefully and checking the scale often to make sure we were gaining steadily. However, we ate badly in a consistant manner which made us all successful gainers. Now if we are to be successful losers, we must stay just as consistant. Don't give up, this is a woe not a "diet". Perhaps a different low carb diet would work better, perhaps you need a carb blow-out or fat fast. Or perhaps, all you need to do is just wait and see. Give your body a chance to say to itself, "Oh I getit!!!" Yes, exercise can cause you to gain because muscle is heavier than fat. But muscle metabolizes fat so the wieght gain will only be temporary. The body might also retain more water due to exercise. Accept the way your body takes you and it will not lead you wrong IF you remain consistant.

Black57
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Oct-28-03, 07:12

Stats: 247/220/150 Female 5'5
BF:Getting better
Progress: 28%
Default too late, already crazy

I have bounced between 198 and 201 for 8 weeks now. I saw my doctor last week to see if there was a reason for the stall I couldn't figure out. We went through EVERYTHING. Only thing she can figure is 'cause i quit smoking Aug 5th.
ANYONE GOT A LIGHTER???? Anyway, I will stick with it because I feel better than ever and my blood sugar is COMPLETELY under control .

By the way, Dr. gave me round of applause on all my blood work