Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Nov-01-03, 14:22

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 196/178/138 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 31%
Default Melatonin

I was wondering if anyone has tried Melatonin. I have always had problems sleeping....falling asleep and staying asleep. Sometimes I take an over-the-counter sleep aid, but they don't work too well and I feel groggy in the morning. I have been researching Melatonin, sounds good and cheap, but does it really help?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Nov-01-03, 14:23
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I've started using it. I found it really helps. Occasionaly I will still use unisom, but most nights the meletonin is more then enough. It seems to relax me and helps quiet my mind down so I can sleep.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Nov-01-03, 15:43
Registered Member

Stats: 130/126/~115 Female 63 & 1/4 inches
BF:22%/20%
Progress:

Melatonin by itself didn't really work that well for me, but then again, I tend to metabolize the sedative stuff fairly quickly. Every once in awhile I use something called Knockout (a melatonin, kava kava, and valerian root mixture). That REALLY does the job. If you find you are a bit resistant to most of the natural sleep-aids, that might be the way to go.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Nov-01-03, 15:59

Plan: atkins
Stats: 196.0/184.0/170 Male 70"
BF:
Progress: 46%

I've used it occasionally with success. The only problem was it was difficult to shake the cobwebs in the morning. I wouldn't take it every night, that need might indicate some problem. Takes about 30 minutes to take effect.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Nov-01-03, 16:29
Resident Loud Mouth

BF:

You might try herbal teas as well. I found though that anything with camomile gives me a sever headache, and of course every night time tea seems to have it.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Nov-01-03, 18:25
ArtificiallyFlavored

Stats: 260/252/200 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 13%

I started taking Valerian Root, I seem to be able to get to sleep quicker, but I wake up two or three times in the night. I go right back to sleep, but I'd like to sleep straight through, seems like it would be better for me. (I have a hard time in the mornings and usually need to nap durring the day.)

I drink herbal tea sometimes, but not usually the night time kind, I'm going to try some tonight along with the Valerian Root.

I am thinking of trying some other things as well.... I have to get a good night's sleep on a regular basis.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Nov-01-03, 18:35

Stats: 220/182.5/145 Female 63 inches
BF:alot!
Progress: 50%

You might want to try 5-HTP (hydroxytryptophan).....this is the precursor to serotonin so it does help keep you in a positive mood, but it is also a sleep aid due to the tryptophan (which is whiy it is sometimes suggested to drink warm milk before bedtime as this also has lots of tryptophan).

I have been taking 50 mg before bedtime, and it works like a charm....it can also be increased to 100 mg...... It should be readily available in most health food stores.

Froufie
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Nov-01-03, 20:41
Resident Loud Mouth

BF:

Quote:
I'd like to sleep straight through, seems like it would be better for me.

And now old are the kids? I don't think mother's get to sleep through the night. After infancy there is toddler years where they get bored and walk around. Then the kid years where there can be playing or nightmares. Of course the teen years they can be alone in the house while you sleep, but then you'll probably stay up all night worrying about what they are up to.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Nov-01-03, 21:37
Registered Member

Stats: 199/189/145 Male 5'3
BF:not sure
Progress: 19%

Hi Stacey H. You said you have always had trouble sleeping. I was wondering if you have ever had a sleep study done. You may want to check to see if you have sleep apnea. That is where you wake up due to your throat closing off. I had a study done and found out I was waking up 80+ times EVERY hour!
So, now I have a CPAP machinet that keeps the throat open.
I have tried Melatonin. I ended up going from taking 3mg tablet to buying 1mg tablets and breaking them in to 1/4ths. It makes me just drowsy enough to drift off, and doesn't leave me "groggy" in the morning.
Happy ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZs!
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Nov-02-03, 04:58

Stats: 166/125.5/130 Female 66"
BF:24%
Progress: 113%

I, too, have always had trouble sleeping. I've been taking 3mg of Melatonin almost every night since long before I started this WOE. I take it about 20 minutes before I'm going to go to bed. It does help, especially with the laying there staring at the ceiling waiting to sleep problems. And also with the waking up several times in the night problems. If I'm already feeling especially tired and don't think I'll have trouble falling asleep, I don't take it. Then again, I am funny about taking stuff unless I really need it.

However, if you know you won't be getting a full night's sleep (at least 6 hours) then don't take it. Although getting too few hours always makes you feel rotten, it seems worse with the melatonin.

Julie

Last edited by JulieL : Sun, Nov-02-03 at 05:00.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Nov-02-03, 08:43

Plan: Atkins/M&E/HCG
Stats: 233/186/160 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 64%

I agree with juliel. I've taken Melatonin for a long time now. BUT if I know I'm not going to sleep for many hours I don't take it.

5htp and kava don't work with me for sleeping. I've taken both for depression and they work in that way. But definatly don't help me sleep.

The Melatonin is great in the sense it doesn't make you groggy in the morning.

Deana