Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-03, 08:03

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 194/188.9/165 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 18%
Default newbie here

Hi everyone I just came upon this site while looking on google for info on the SP...glad i found it! I am 32 years old married with three kids and the heaviest I have ever been my whole life(194 to begin but i have lost 8 pounds doing the diet in SP). I am used to weighing around 145-155 but always struggling to keep it. I did lowfat...vegetarian...over -excercising...fasting....binge/purge. I tried and tried but always gained more weight because i was out of control. Finally two years ago i had gotten up to 165 and felt my depression coming back ( i have always had problems with depression). My family doc put me on Prozac...at that point i would try anything to feel good again plus he said Prozac could cause weight loss...even better! Little did I know that while most SSRIs(prozac,celexa,paxil,zoloft) have been shown to induce weight loss they also are known to cause weight gain after sustained use. I was on Prozac for nine months gained 30 pounds.Off it for six months lost 20 pounds(thru low calorie diet) Then again i needed something to stop this depression that seems to take me over so I went on Celexa next because it is not known for increased weight gain as much as others. Well over nine months i was at my all time high of 194. Did some internet research and learned that i am not the only person to gain alot of weight. The SSRI inhibites enzymes in the liver causing metabolism to slow so that while eating the same as before it is possible to gain 1 pound every 12 days!GREAT....anyway this is a long story i know but I went off the celexa three months ago and decided to take charge of my own mental health and decided that the best place to start is by eating a balanced diet. I take amino acid supplements,exercise regular, and follow the SP diet as much as i can. I do eat sugar more than i would like but am working on it. SO far I have quit smoking,stopped drinking alcohol,stopped coffee except one cup on weekend with my hubby ,i have lost eight pounds. My cravings are gone! It's not about will power. I just don't want to smoke,drink,eat potato chips. I crave nothing except more of what i am feeling now. I meditatenow and enjoy it. Life seems whole to me for the first time and best of all I get out of bed in the morning and look forward to the day....I see no signs of depression! sorry this was sooo long i am just excited to see that others are doing what i am and wanted to share. AMY
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-03, 09:55
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Amym:

Welcome! It's very inspiring to read your story. There's nothing more empowering than taking control of your health. You've come a long way.

Maybe you can post (copy & paste) your story to the following link:
Nat'l Women's Mag. looking for successes
They are looking for success stories and you sure sound like one.

Best of health,
Wanda

Last edited by wcollier : Mon, Nov-03-03 at 09:57.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Nov-07-03, 05:58

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 194/188.9/165 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 18%

Thanks for saying hi....
Unfotunately i don't feel like a sucess story yet...but I sure will be working on it! I feel much healthier and am thankful every day that i no longer want to smoke or drink alcohol, now i need to work on getting my body back . I lost another lb. this a.m. so i am up to nine lost. I just keep thinking the slower the better I have all the time in the world because this really is a WOL .