Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Nov-10-03, 22:33
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 211/180/140 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 44%
Default Help

I am having a hard time getting my carbs in. Someone please give me some ideas of what I can add to my diet.

A typical day for me is

Breakfast - 2 fried eggs(canola oil) 2pattie sausages
Lunch - meat, about a cup and a half of lettuce with caesar dressing
Dinner meat, 1 1/12 cup of lettuce and some kind of meat (caesar dressing)
Boring I know

I usually take a cucumber and slice it in half and split it between the two salads.

I keep my salad servings at 3cups (cucumber included) I'm not sure what I can add to this. Seems as though i'm having less than 15carbs a day maybe 10

Someone please help me
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Nov-10-03, 22:45
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

Add a little cheese (3-4 oz a day is allowed) some cooked veggies like broccoli or cauliflower...

It doesn't look like quite enough food altogether to me...
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Nov-10-03, 22:45

Stats: 235/145/130 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 86%

Check out the book Dr. Atkins' New Diet Revolution. In the chapter on induction, there is a list of salad veggies and a list of other veggies. Pick some that you like and add them in. Or pick something new off the list and figure out how to cook it. Just one example: when I grill chicken or steak, I like to smother it with grilled onions and green peppers. Simple but good.

You may be getting more carbs than you think. Do you drink coffee? If you do, you might be surprised at how many carbs you're getting. See LadyBelle's thread on coffee.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Nov-10-03, 22:54
Registered Member

BF:

Cheese is a good idea but the only thing about that is. I dont know when to stop. So I just dont buy it. Does that make sense? I dont drink coffee(water only) and I eat quite a bit of meat. Chicken, steak, burgers,etc.

I have stalled for a month then dropped 8lbs and not sure how I did it. I'm thinking it was the little bit of shredded cheese I had on my salad every day at work. I just find it really hard to get up to 20carbs how will I go on to OWL if i'm not at 20 uggghhh?

I'm kicking myself for not starting a journal. Thanks again i'm going to check the list again and see what I can add. I'm not a big veggie fan but I love salad. (lettuce mainly) I will try adding some broccoli and see how that goes. I can eat that

Last edited by Dee30 : Mon, Nov-10-03 at 22:58.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Nov-10-03, 23:05

Stats: 162/142.5/135 Female 5'4''
BF:
Progress: 72%

Shakes, bars, almonds, macadamia nuts, peanut butter, low-carb bread, mushrooms, onions, bell peppers, etc. This is the stuff I add for variety.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Nov-10-03, 23:17

Stats: 302.2/302.2/185 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 0%

Definitely add more veggies!

A cup of lettuce only has like, 1 carb.... Try adding different veggies into your meals - peppers, zucchini, tomato, onion, eggplant, daikon, turnip/rutabagas, radishes, cabbage etc.... If you don't like veggies raw, what about mashed cauliflower with butter & cream and a bit of cheese... just like mashed potatoes. Or broccoli smothered in cheese or butter? Zucchini stirfried with onions and tomatoes and parmesan? Or incorporate them into your dish (i.e. diced peppers & onions in a tomato meat sauce, make a mock veggie lasagna or make spaghetti & meatballs on spaghetti squash)

For your salads, try using spinach or darker greens... darker the better. What about using cream cheese or cream... or eating some nuts? Or perhaps baking with ground almonds? (After adding more veggies of course )

Hope this helps!

Wynter

Last edited by Wynter : Mon, Nov-10-03 at 23:19.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Nov-11-03, 10:01
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I agree about using darker greens.

Incorperate veggies into more meals. For breakfast make some zucchini hashbrowns, then crumble the sausage into them and put the eggs on top.

With dinner have broccoli, brussle sprouts, or other green as a side. Make Mock Rice or Mashed potatoes from cauliflower as a second side. Or take spaghetti squash and serve it with garlic butter mixed with italian herbs for a pasta like side.

For dessert make up something with pumpkin such as a mock danish, or just pumpkins, some sweetner, spices, and butter heated in the microwave.

Experiment with different recipes, such as the jimica cream of wheat recipe. Also add cubed Jimica to your salads.

Make a pot roast with turnips, celery, and onions. Freeze the left overs for meals on the run. Also make fajitas by cutting the meat into strips and adding onion and multi colored peppers. Going Mexican can also help with breakfast. Make an omlette with peppers, onions, and salsa.

It is extreamly hard to get 20g net carbs on LC veggies because of all the fiber. I eat at least 3 times the recomended amount for induction and I am still lucky to pull in 15 net atm.

Remember too that eggs have some carbs, the sausages do as well. (You might switch to a less processed breakfast meat with less salt and sugar).

For your salads, get variety by dicing the meat into the salad. Cubed chicken breast can be fried with tons of different sauces for different tastes. Add a hard boiled egg as well, or fry up some bacon and crumble it on top. Experiment with different oils and dressings as well. Try making your own, just plain oil on the salad, or a vinagrette (just don't use basalmic).

Going with darker greens, such as bags of premix, will also help to add variety along with the extra nutricon.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Nov-11-03, 10:16
~version 2.0~

Stats: 186/173/145 Female 62 inches
BF:YES.
Progress: 32%

I am an avacado advocate they are higher in carbs but great for vitamins and adding fat to your diet....

Also tomatoes, onions... they are higher carbs... i add them to alot of stuff...

If you haven't tried Spaghetti squash you should try that too... i just recently tried it and love love love it
Cut in half... scoop out seeds... lay upside down on a backing sheet... bake ~ 350ish degrees for about 1 hour... it is so yummy i like it with butter parm cheese and salt pepper.... also had it as a somewhat dessert... 2 packets of splenda or BrownSugar Twin and butter... (tasted like a sweet potato to me)

I also use alot of Bacon Ranch (kraft) dressing... that adds up on carbs as well.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Nov-11-03, 10:23
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Heh I'm lazy. To cook my spaghetti squash I kill it with a fork, then pop it in the microwave for 10 mins

My son will tolerate it. He loved it when I made spaghetti with lamb meatballs though. I think the kid ate 6 or more meatballs :\

I would have a natural Atkins in the house if he would just eat his veggies and not want candy. He loves meat, eggs, peanut butter, and other protien things though.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Nov-11-03, 10:27
Low Carb Cowgirl

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 210/174/145 Female 5 ft 5 in
BF:
Progress: 55%

You said you wished you would have started a journal, it is never too late, start your journal and also do a fitday account if you dont already have one. You may be taking in more carbs than you realize, I was, and the fitday helped me as it was easier than writing stuff down then looking up carb counts.
Another suggestions someone made to me was to plan out my meal with it, do fitday in advance, get your amounts and %"s right and then follow it for the day.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Nov-11-03, 12:16
Registered Member

BF:

OMG. I love this place. You all have helped ALOT. I was thinking today. I would definately have to go over my recommended amount on induction just to get my carb level up. I like all of your ideas.

Mmmm i'm getting hungry just looking at your responses. Well atleast i'm not thinking of junk food lol

I will start a journal. I see now that its very important